Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

2 members and 3,030 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I also have signs with a coiled, ready-to-strike rattlesnake pictured that say "Dead End!"- they're yellow diamond-shaped signs (like traffic signs), lol. I got them
    from the gift shop at the Living Desert Zoological Park in Palm Springs. Can't have "too many" warning signs... They really ARE good "burglar alarms" too.
    Had anyone entered my house they'd have set off rattling everywhere...snakes that didn't rattle at me.

The Dobies I had: the abused female allowed anything from me but I had to muzzle her for the vet (or men, mostly)- she'd have bitten in fear too. That's so sweet
    that you took in Lucy in spite of her nips. I agree- when you help animals, when your focus is helping them, that love or whatever it is comes right back to us.

Speaking of stressed dogs that destroy things: we had a small terrier mix when I was a teen; she'd been abandoned as a pup in a phone booth & we ended up taking
    her in. Despite how much we loved her & her playful silly personality, she never got over that abandonment ("separation anxiety") thing: when left alone, she not
    only shredded the drapes, but the next day when they were tied up out of her way, she stood on a chair to re-shred them! She also "T.P.'d" the house a few times.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (03-27-2019)

Thanks
    That's awesome! Love the signs. Yea, if I would've heard "rattling" right after seeing a snake sign on the door it would've been the LAST time I entered that house. Hell, that's better than a pair of German Shepherds.

Your dobie was no-doubt abused by a male. That's horrible! I told my best friend the other day...."If you & your dog are on a frozen pond, the surface breaks and you both fall through....I just got me a new dog cuz I don't have the strength to go back for both of you." He wasn't amused. lol

Yes, your terrier baby was definitely suffering from separation anxiety. Thankfully, she had your unconditional love to help her through.

Another "incident" with Lucy - She likes to ride in the car everywhere I go. So, a couple months ago I was going into town to pick up some dinner when I noticed the last row of seats in the SUV was in the "upright" position. She likes to walk around on the back of the seats when they're laid all the way down. I notice there's no traffic behind me as I'm approaching a red light, so I stop, get out and go around to fold the back seat down, only to get back in the car and find her folded up in a fetal position on the floor of the car, violently shaking almost like she's having a seizure. She pee'd everywhere and was whimpering uncontrollably. My guess is she was dropped off in the middle of the highway and was having some sort of flashback? It was absolutely heartbreaking. I pulled the car over, put her in my lap and cried like a little biatch.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-27-2019),Dianne (03-27-2019)

Thanks
    The only bad thing about rattlesnake warning signs on your doors is that if my house ever caught fire, I'm guessing I'd have been toast? But the signs gave
    me so many smiles that I put them up anyway.

I think you & your friend should stay off the ice...

That's totally heart-breaking about Lucy having such a reaction in traffic, as you say maybe a "flashback"- that's worse than anything I've seen or heard of, but it's
    strange that she likes to ride in the car & yet reacted to your stopping the car? Maybe she really did have a seizure? Some flea & tick meds have that side effect,
    especially for certain breeds of dogs, or so I've heard?

Dogs remember & suffer for years from the bad treatment they've had, & they have bad dreams too. (I cuddle mine when they do, if I'm awake.) When I had that
    abused female Doberman, I even changed her name so she wasn't "reminded". She was so sweet, I could just say her name & she'd wiggle with happiness from
    head to tail. I'll never understand how horrible some treat animals...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Re: Play Time with Monty

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The only bad thing about rattlesnake warning signs on your doors is that if my house ever caught fire, I'm guessing I'd have been toast? But the signs gave
    me so many smiles that I put them up anyway.

I think you & your friend should stay off the ice...

That's totally heart-breaking about Lucy having such a reaction in traffic, as you say maybe a "flashback"- that's worse than anything I've seen or heard of, but it's
    strange that she likes to ride in the car & yet reacted to your stopping the car? Maybe she really did have a seizure? Some flea & tick meds have that side effect,
    especially for certain breeds of dogs, or so I've heard?

Dogs remember & suffer for years from the bad treatment they've had, & they have bad dreams too. (I cuddle mine when they do, if I'm awake.) When I had that
    abused female Doberman, I even changed her name so she wasn't "reminded". She was so sweet, I could just say her name & she'd wiggle with happiness from
    head to tail. I'll never understand how horrible some treat animals...
    Ha! Didn’t think of the “house fire” situation.

About Lucy - she’s only done it once and it was when I just randomly stopped in the middle of the highway and stepped out of the vehicle. It was horrible. Pretty sure it wasn’t a seizure as I had a chihuahua-mix that took 5 pills, including Phenobarbital for seizures twice a day, for 8 yrs. Yes, that’s 10 pills daily. Poor baby would have Grand-mal seizures about every 6 weeks or so, and it would last off & on, all night. I’d typically end up going to the emergency vet about 3am to get him a shot of Valium to stop the status epilepticcus. He was the sweetest dog. Again, cried like a biatch when he crossed over.

I do the same thing when they’re having a bad dream. They usually wake us up when it happens due to them both sleeping in the bed with us.

Awww that’s the sweetest! Never thought about changing a dog’s name in order to facilitate healing. Brilliant. Sounds like you’re one of the rare ones. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Carpe' Diem

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-29-2019)

Thanks

Re: Play Time with Monty

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    ... Sounds like you’re one of the rare ones. Love it....

You too... (& thanks) My dogs have their own beds at the foot of mine...not too far to go for "emergency cuddles".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (03-29-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123