Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,951

0 members and 1,951 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

What have you been late to the party for?

By "What have you been late to the party for?" i mean something that was big and popular, but u hopped on the train a lil later than the peeps who were first part of all the rage. i might not be making sense here... i mean not literraly or not necessarily being late to an actual party (tho u could share that story if u would like), but what did u get into later after all the hype. it could be months, it could be years - but what what is something that was cool and old that u got into at a later point than most folks?

ok i'm probably still not explaining this properly but here's an example. The Office was a huge TV show but i never got into it during it's original run from 2005-2013. part of it was i didn't like Steve Carell's Evan Baxter character from the movie Bruce Almighty and also i didn't own a TV at the time. Butt! i always heard about how funny the show was, everyone always quoted it and it won a ton of awards and stuff. it was very popular. i had a friend visiting town like 3 weeks ago and we watched like 3 episodes of The Office and it was like the funniest thing ever! now i'm hooked and i've been watching 2-3 episodes a day and starting season 4! this show is ridiculous and i love it! the show ended in 2013, so i'm late to The Office party.

what about u? what show, film, band, tech or fad or whatever have u resisted during the height of its popularity butt u got into later? was it a fashion fad? book? yoga? How were u late to the party? what do u recommend?
    Last edited by Ax01; 03-11-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: not making any sense
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I can relate to your late watching of the Office...and I have yet to warm up to it, for some reason. Similar thing happened to me with "The New Adventures
    of Old Christine"...caught on late night re-runs & think it's pretty funny. I think if you're not really in the mood to watch something, it just falls flat...but at the
    right time, it gels & can be hilarious. I like Julia Louis-Dreyfus far better in "Old Christine" than in Seinfeld (of course she has a bigger part, and that helps, but
    I love the entire cast too).

I'll have to think about it more, I probably have a much longer list of these...my taste in movies is seldom for the mainstream fare, so I frequently ignore stuff
    when it first comes out anyway.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-11-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Bitcoin. I toyed with buying it when I first heard about it. I think they were like $50 at the time. I still don't own any.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-12-2019)

Thanks

Re: What have you been late to the party for?

You know I did the same thing with The Office, except I tried to watch it and couldn’t get into it. I think I’ve tried three times to no avail but maybe I’ll give it another go. I always said I didn’t like that kind of comedy, but The Ladt Man on Earth is a favorite show of mine and it’s that same kind of humor. That show wasn’t as big sadly - I firmly believe TLMOE was a seriously underrated show - but I didn’t get into it until the middle of the fourth season. I binged watched the entire show in under a week and was so sad when it was cancelled after a huge cliffhanger. So I was late to that party. Same with the show Mom. I thought it was just another cute family sitcom but boy was I wrong! Being in recovery myself I can relate to the show but any show on network tv prime time that can get away with these sort of exchanges and do it well, has my attention:

Mother Bonnie: I don’t like doctors.
    Daughter Christy: You went to a doctor for your back last year.
    Bonnie: And look what happened, I got strung out on pain pills. Who knows? I go in for a mole, next thing you know I'm smoking crack.
    Christy: What was your excuse for the first time you smoked crack?
    Bonnie: I like crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lusiphera For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I like that show "Mom" too...definitely not your average sitcom. So I'll have to look for TLMOE then, thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I like that show "Mom" too...definitely not your average sitcom. So I'll have to look for TLMOE then, thanks!
    TLMOE is hysterical. The first episode or two are a little slow but only because they’re introducing the cast of characters as they meet at the end of the world. Once the core group is established it gets really funny. There’s some great guest stars too, Mark Boone Junior who played Bobby Elvis on Sons of Anarchy, Jack Black, Kristen Wiig, Jon Hamm, Jason Sudeikis, Will Ferrell and more. Plus if you’re a fan a Ferrell’s you’re probably familiar with Mary Steenburgen who is a main character on TLMOE.

It’s a really good show and if you end up liking it and watching it til the ending cliffhanger, let me know. I did find out how the show was supposed to end and should you get to that point and be curious I’ll gladly fill you in!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lusiphera For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-11-2019)

Registered User ShawarmaPoutine's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely Bitcoin. I knew about way back in the day but couldn't care less as I was busy playing video games. I lost 1K, my friend lost 5k.

Thanks
    I've been late to a lot of things, but I wouldn't say I've missed out.

For those of you who feel bad about not buying bitcoin when it was trading for practically nothing, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't consider Bitcoin an investment because there are no measurements we can take to indicate that it is valued fairly or has any reason to rise in value over time. It was designed to be used as a legitimate decentralized currency, but people aren't using it that way, so for me personally it has no value.

People liken Bitcoin to stocks, but there's a huge difference. When you buy stock in a company, you actually have a proportional ownership stake in an enterprise that owns assets of value and presumably is able to use their assets to make money each year, which gets passed down to you as an owner in the form of dividends or growth of the company (which in turn raises the stock price). You can also very easily own an index that gives you small proportional ownership stakes in so many companies that a chunk of them can go belly up and you will still (historically) continue to make money.

I spent a couple years as a licensed investment advisor and always find the cryptocurrency discussions interesting. That doesn't mean that bitcoin won't go on to reach new highs again, but I personally wouldn't put a penny of my own money into it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -ryan- For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-13-2019),Bogertophis (03-14-2019)

Thanks
    I was late to the iPhone. Had an android till the iPhone 5. A guy said if u don’t like it bring it back. I didn’t bring it back and I love it way more than my androids. Everyone converted to iPhones at my work and it was great

Thanks
    Also I was a few seasons late to game of thrones. Which is the best show ever!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast