Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,996

1 members and 2,995 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Breeding Bloods

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Breeding Bloods

Can someone point me in the direction of information on breeding Blood Pythons? I assume its like breeding most other pythons, but I would like to be sure as I have been out of the hobby for a number of years. My girlfriend wants me to start up a breeding project. I was thinking of breeding a Goldeneye blood, or a Ivory Blood with an Albino Blood, or possible a Batik Blood with an Albino Blood, or possible 2 albinos bred together. I am open to all suggestions on what to breed as my first breeding project. Please any and all information/criticism is welcome.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What is it you are looking to gain through breeding this species? This is a question that should always be asked.

Personally, I feel people should keep a species for a while to decide if they really want to work with them, and learn what it is they they want to produce and why before breeding just to breed. Do you have adults to breed? With bloods, they require a lot more space, take more time to mature - I don't breed females until 4-5 years, males at least 3, and it's less about morphs than working with good bloodlines and learning about variations in the species. A very red normal is worth much more than a non-red albino, for example. Honestly, I think if you have to ask what to breed as a project, you should take more time to learn about them. Work with what you enjoy. It's not about the money - I can tell you, the time and effort and cost is not worth it if you don't love what you're doing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aahmn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-20-2019),GoingPostal (03-16-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Bloods

Quote Originally Posted by aahmn View Post
    What is it you are looking to gain through breeding this species? This is a question that should always be asked.

Personally, I feel people should keep a species for a while to decide if they really want to work with them, and learn what it is they they want to produce and why before breeding just to breed. Do you have adults to breed? With bloods, they require a lot more space, take more time to mature - I don't breed females until 4-5 years, males at least 3, and it's less about morphs than working with good bloodlines and learning about variations in the species. A very red normal is worth much more than a non-red albino, for example. Honestly, I think if you have to ask what to breed as a project, you should take more time to learn about them. Work with what you enjoy. It's not about the money - I can tell you, the time and effort and cost is not worth it if you don't love what you're doing.
    Before I talk about why I want to breed I guess I should give some background. When I was younger, 11-17, I volunteered at Exotic Pets International ran by Ken and Janice Foose in Las Vegas. I also ran a natural history museum at my school. At my school we had a 16ft Retic, a western hognose, 2 garter snakes, a few king snakes, and a few other misc snakes. I've also kept Iguanas, Monitors, Geckos, Tortoises, and other animals that aren't reptiles. During that time I was explosed to a myriad of different reptiles and mammals. Over time I grew to love Retics and Blood pythons. I have thought about breeding dwarf retics, but my love for the bloods is just too strong. I want to breed because I LOVE snakes. I want to breed Bloods for a few reasons. 1. They don't get huge. 2. They aren't real popular. 3. They are absolutely beautiful snakes. 4. They aren't the easiest snakes to keep. And Finally breeding Blood python morphs is still in its infancy. I have a lot of experience keeping snakes. True I have not kept any reptiles for the last 20 years, but I am doing my research to update myself on new husbandry techniques.

Personally I want to breed Bloods because I have loved Blood Pythons for many years. When I was young I was not allowed to have pythons or boas, so I bred Corns. For me the money aspect is secondary. I want to produce morphs that I am interested in keeping. I want to produce a T- Super Batik, and a T- Batik, and I want a T- Pixel. Sure the money is nice, but for me its secondary. I have loved Blood pythons for over 20 years. I was never stable enough to keep one. I kept moving around alot, among other things. I plan on getting my Blood lines from NERD, and Giant Keeper Reptiles. As far as caging, I planned on 2 different setups. I will start with cages from either boamasters or monster cages. 6'x2'x18" I will buy 3 of these. Then once those cages are full I will be getting a rack system for the adults. I do have a question about that.

Which rack system would work for adult Bloods?

Ok well I think this is enough on why I want to breed, and my history. If you have any other questions just post them.

Thanks

Sorry to see sur3fir3 you felt you had to explain/ justify a simple question you had about breeding blood pythons. I've never bred pythons but have owned exotic snakes since 1980. Sorry I can't help BUT I learned about snakes way before the internet was invented thank God. If I were to breed them I bet I would have success day one and so can you WITHOUT having to give a full deposition to a judge and jury.
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momokahn For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (03-19-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Momokahn View Post
    Sorry to see sur3fir3 you felt you had to explain/ justify a simple question you had about breeding blood pythons. I've never bred pythons but have owned exotic snakes since 1980. Sorry I can't help BUT I learned about snakes way before the internet was invented thank God. If I were to breed them I bet I would have success day one and so can you WITHOUT having to give a full deposition to a judge and jury.

People on the internet are judgmental. I am used to it. It is a bit ridiculous that I had to write all that out to get an answer to a simple question, but I don't mind. I have years of experience and history with reptiles. If I thought I wasn't advanced enough to breed, I wouldn't even consider it.

So back to the original question. Does anyone have a place I can go for specific information on breeding bloods? Everything I see says they are like Burmese Pythons. But I am trying to find information specific to Bloods.
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 03-19-2019 at 12:48 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Bloods *answer to question*

I was looking around ad I came across this site with TONS of info on Bloods.

http://bloodpythons.com/

In case anyone else has the same question.