Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

2 members and 2,869 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Ball Python scale problems?

Hi guys! Thanks for taking the time to read.

I got my first ball python, sotek, around 5 weeks ago now, and he's a fantastic addition to my family! Unfortunately, the breeder I bought him from gave me all the wrong information on ball python care, so it was a rocky beginning. Everything from feeding to humidity to temperature to bedding was all wrong. Obviously I've since educated myself on how to care for him properly.

I noticed that his belly scales are flaky and almost look a tad chipped. I was concerned about scale rot (as i said, the information given to me was all wrong) and took him to the vet for a checkup. She wasn't concerned about scale rot in the slightest and said he's a very beautiful snake. It's been a couple weeks and the issue is still there, when i'm handling him I get thin flaky scales left behind on my hands.

He isn't acting any differently, he's still very friendly and loves to be handled and explore, and he most definitely does not seem to be in any pain at all. He's eating fine and likes to bask under his lamp in the evenings.

I was just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this? Does it look like a serious issue or do you think it'll go once he sheds? I just need some peace of mind

He's male, and around 3.5 feet long. Aspen bedding, 50 - 60% humidity (averaging at around 54/55 throughout the day), eats weener rats once a week. Temperature at 85 degrees f, heated from a lamp.

thanks for reading! Hope to hear some thoughts back from you

https://imgur.com/a/6IPGGnk

https://imgur.com/a/4DxzbGx

I couldn't figure out how to put images on the post, so here's some links!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    I've seen something similar (a long time ago) where the scales were sort of "de-laminating"...but I'm sorry to say I do not know what causes it. Sorry that
    your vet apparently doesn't either. I'm hoping someone who knows more about this will chime in? If not, we can continue to brain-storm this here... (And
    I don't know what ever happened with the one I saw before...it was many years ago. It also had some of the notched scales like yours too.)

Thanks
    Could it possibly be a vitamin deficiency? Since he's already 3.5 feet long you don't really know how he was fed throughout his life and could have been fed wrong. It's just one idea that stands out to me.