Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,814

1 members and 2,813 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    I asked for a video of this snake and she sent me one a few minutes ago. He is very lethargic and instead of tongue flicking he would just stick his tongue out and lay it on her arm for 30-40 seconds. It happened 3 times in a 5 min video.

I have saw enough, I thanked her for her time and suggested feed him one small mouse a week and see a vet if he doesn’t get better. I don’t know whether I’m more mad or more sad about this whole situation but it sucks. I will probably take the numerous suggestions here and start with a baby boa from a reputable breeder.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-13-2019),richardhind1972 (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Re: Nicaraguan Boa questions.....

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    He is very lethargic and instead of tongue flicking he would just stick his tongue out and lay it on her arm for 30-40 seconds. It happened 3 times in a 5 min video.
    Christ, its very upsetting to hear things like that.

The temptation to rescue the poor guy can be strong, but it is such a risk to take...

On the brighter side, Spring is almost here. That means there'll be lots of new hatchlings and snakelets to start off right with!
    \m/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-13-2019),dakski (03-13-2019),SVT Wylde (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    45 minutes is a long time to handle. I don't really handle any of my snakes that long, except Behira sometimes (Ghost BCI). The only way I handle her that long is if she's either playing on her scaffolding/climbing station or she falls asleep on me (which happens often).
    So keep it to 20-25 min about 3 times a week? My BP seems to enjoy being out but I know they stress easily. I keep him to 30 min twice a week, usually less.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    So keep it to 20-25 min about 3 times a week? My BP seems to enjoy being out but I know they stress easily. I keep him to 30 min twice a week, usually less.
    Every snake is different. It's always better to keep it brief while a snake is getting to know you & settling in, but after that it's a judgement call. Most snakes are shy
    & feel safer when hiding, which they can learn to do when held close to you in a "sheltering" manner. As long as your snake eats normally, it's probably not stressed,
    & it's usually safe to gradually increase the time.

Another consideration (& an explanation too): remember that the intrinsic needs of each kind of snake and also it's physical body size will help determine how long they
    are comfortable being held. Ball pythons & boas are heavy-bodied snakes with a greater need for warmth, & we are roughly 98.6* so in handling, we are supplying them
    with that warmth. The bigger the snake is, the longer it takes them to warm up, whereas colubrids may possibly over-heat. Always consider the environmental temper-
    ature along with the kind & size of snake you're handling...desert dwelling snakes, versus those from cooler temperate climates, and remember that fear isn't the only
    reason they get restless- they may just be too warm.

The large BCI that I had for many years was very comfortable around my waist for a couple hours when I watched a movie, & she fought going back in her cage.
    Small or slender snakes have a good reason they cannot do that, though if the room is cooler, that will be a factor for how long they can tolerate. The reasons my
    robust 7' Florida rat snakes have done so well for "meet & greets" that last at least 4+ hours is that (besides being tame & used to people), they are from a warm
    climate & have good body size that takes a long time before they over-heat...plus the summertime event is always indoors, with A/C.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (03-13-2019),richardhind1972 (03-13-2019),SVT Wylde (03-13-2019)

Thanks
    Great info! I’ll do shorter sessions and go for 3 times a week. I try to handle him late in the evenings when he is awake. Waking me up in the middle of the “night”and handling me would stress me out lol

I’m talking to a breeder I found on Morph Market called Gilbert Boas. Seems like a really good guy and very responsive to messages. I’ll keep an eye out for a spring hatchling.
    Last edited by SVT Wylde; 03-13-2019 at 02:15 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (03-13-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

I think that's a good call, at least you can grow to trust each other from scratch, good luck and post plenty when you get one

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

SVT Wylde (03-13-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234