Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,541

4 members and 2,537 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Nicaraguan Boa questions.....

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Boas are great , I have 14, there interactive great feeders and love to be handled, this little boa is young enough to relax with and never going to be too big ,I think once you give the right sized food she will be a lot more chilled,mine are so chilled especially when out, deffo worth persevering with, it's up to you at the end of the day good luck

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    She says that he is a very chill snake in general. I’m not really concerned about his personality, I think that can be worked out with some good feedings like you said. Are your boas was good with intermittent handling? Like 45 min every 3 days? That’s really the only thing holding me back, not being sure if I have enough time to spend with him.

The previous replies in this post have convinced me that my initial concerns are probably just minor issues that aren’t really a big deal at all.
    Last edited by SVT Wylde; 03-12-2019 at 08:06 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (03-12-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    She says that he is a very chill snake in general. I’m not really concerned about his personality, I think that can be worked out with some good feedings like you said. Are your boas was good with intermittent handling? Like 45 min every 3 days? That’s really the only thing holding me back, not being sure if I have enough time to spend with him.

The previous replies in this post have convinced me that my initial concerns are probably just minor issues that aren’t really a big deal at all.
    Sometimes a week in between and they still nice and relaxed, boas are pretty good for that , I go on holiday for two weeks and my friend comes and checks the water but never gets them out and they still fine. Small boas soon learn to relax once they have a full tum and learn to trust you, deffo worth Tap training too

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

SVT Wylde (03-12-2019)

Thanks
    That’s great, OK thanks for the information. I will message her later in the week and see if I can get some wiggle room on the price. It sounds like she is a little high.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s great, OK thanks for the information. I will message her later in the week and see if I can get some wiggle room on the price. It sounds like she is a little high.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Good luck...sounds like this snake would be a good fit for you...I know (as more of a "rescuer") I'd be drawn to it... Hopefully no negative "surprises"...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

SVT Wylde (03-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Good luck...sounds like this snake would be a good fit for you...I know (as more of a "rescuer") I'd be drawn to it... Hopefully no negative "surprises"...
    Thank you! I agree. I got super lucky with my BP and I’m hoping lightning strikes twice. She hasn’t replied to my text from earlier today so if he is gone it’s probably to a better home and I know enough now to have a general idea of the boa I want and how to care for him. It’s a win/win either way. lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2019),richardhind1972 (03-12-2019)

Thanks
    I own 5 boas and some go maybe 2-3 weeks without intensive handling (other than moving for cleaning, etc.). I can still grab my ~6' male BCA without any issues even if it has been a month without handling.

The main thing with boas, IMO, is tap-training (hook training). They have a very strong feed response. Some of mine will even slam the glass of their enclosure if my hand happens to cross it too closely. These same boas, once I stroke them with a hook and let them know it isn't feeding time, are perfectly tame and chill. They just LOVE to eat and are quick to assume food is coming until told otherwise. I hook train mine by touching them with the hook any time I go into their enclosure for anything other than feeding. This wakes them up and takes them out of "food mode". Other than that, I've had no temperament issues with mine even while administering meds or getting them straight out of their shipping containers. Even my two tiny BCL showed no fear striking or hissing when being taken out of their shipment box. Some boas can be more nippy or defensive though, so it really depends on the snake.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-12-2019),richardhind1972 (03-12-2019),SVT Wylde (03-12-2019)

Thanks
    That’s great info! I’ve been reading various things that pop up on Google search that is very contradictory in regards to care and handling. This boa will need hook training right off the bat. I’m sure he’s crazy hungry after a pinky every two weeks. She has a very big and healthy ball python and I think she is just misinformed on boas.

Thanks
    The urge to 'rescue' a boa off of craiglist is strong. I've done it with some luck and without. I haven't done it in more than a decade and will not do it again.

The current keeper of this boa doesn't have a clue...increasing the odds of this going poorly.
    Are you prepared for this to turn into a mess? Going to the vet repeatedly? Having to medicate a snake? Mites infecting your bp?
    I know a keeper who lost her entire breeding operation (20 boas) from having a big heart and acquiring a rescue boa. The boa had mites and spread disease (IBD) to most of the collection.

The boa in question appears to be from Central America (I would not say Nic but who knows?) There are boas from this region that are known to not be the best at human interaction. I had one for many years that was near enough in appearance to be a litter mate of the photos you posted. That boa did not tolerate handling very well...continuously trying to crawl away and rarely would hold on to my hand...

Good luck with your decision but I suggest getting your first boa from a reputable breeder.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

SVT Wylde (03-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    The urge to 'rescue' a boa off of craiglist is strong. I've done it with some luck and without. I haven't done it in more than a decade and will not do it again.

The current keeper of this boa doesn't have a clue...increasing the odds of this going poorly.
    Are you prepared for this to turn into a mess? Going to the vet repeatedly? Having to medicate a snake? Mites infecting your bp?
    I know a keeper who lost her entire breeding operation (20 boas) from having a big heart and acquiring a rescue boa. The boa had mites and spread disease (IBD) to most of the collection.

The boa in question appears to be from Central America (I would not say Nic but who knows?) There are boas from this region that are known to not be the best at human interaction. I had one for many years that was near enough in appearance to be a litter mate of the photos you posted. That boa did not tolerate handling very well...continuously trying to crawl away and rarely would hold on to my hand...

Good luck with your decision but I suggest getting your first boa from a reputable breeder.

Those are great points and several of those never crossed my mind. I’m going to have to go see I’m before I make a decision. I’ll know more after a 2 hour drive on Sat.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    Those are great points and several of those never crossed my mind. I’m going to have to go see I’m before I make a decision. I’ll know more after a 2 hour drive on Sat.
    Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Boas rock, but you want to start with a happy and healthy one. That's up to you to decide.

Both my boas do very well with handling; better than any of of my other snakes. I can not handle for a while and they are fine, or I can handle for a longer duration and they are fine.

45 minutes is a long time to handle. I don't really handle any of my snakes that long, except Behira sometimes (Ghost BCI). The only way I handle her that long is if she's either playing on her scaffolding/climbing station or she falls asleep on me (which happens often). She's that chill.

The other thing is that Boas are generally sweethearts, once allowed to settle in, and handled 2-3X a week, give or take, with gentle and respectful handling. However, they have a killer food drive. Make sure to hook train whatever boa you get. I can help with that, as can others, if you have questions.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (03-13-2019),SVT Wylde (03-13-2019)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast