Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 281

8 members and 273 guests
Most users ever online was 4,261, 10-01-2019 at 06:44 PM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 65,767
Threads: 240,482
Posts: 2,498,482
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, pbergs96
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
  1. #1
    BPnet Veteran Starscream's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-29-2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    829
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 859 Times in 497 Posts
    Images: 1

    Lan Fan the Japanese Rat Snake

    I went to a reptile show today and came home with this tiny, gorgeous little girl.



    The breeder said she is two months old, and feeding on pinky mice. They listed her as a "blue" variety, which I believe means the Kunashir island locale, but since they didn't list her that way I can't confirm it. She is currently in her quarantine enclosure noodling about. She is a zoomer!



    0.1 Red Axanthic Python regius | Mazikeen
    0.1
    Elaphe climacophora | Lan Fan

  2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

    Alter-Echo (03-09-2019),Bogertophis (03-09-2019),dakski (03-09-2019),Dianne (03-09-2019),fadingdaylight (03-22-2019),FollowTheSun (03-13-2019),MissterDog (03-09-2019),RickyNY (03-10-2019)

  3. #2
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,485
    Thanks
    12,927
    Thanked 7,460 Times in 4,768 Posts
    Very cool...do keep us updated on her progress. Right now her color reminds of the Baird's rat snakes I used to have, but personality is a world apart, I'm sure.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Starscream (03-09-2019)

  5. #3
    BPnet Veteran MissterDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-21-2017
    Posts
    1,470
    Thanks
    3,940
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 876 Posts
    Wow great new pick up! Looking forward to seeing more pics of her! Now we both have old world rat snake girls Also love the FMA name!
    Last edited by MissterDog; 03-09-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

    Starscream (03-09-2019)

  7. #4
    BPnet Veteran Starscream's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-29-2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    829
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 859 Times in 497 Posts
    Images: 1

    Re: Lan Fan the Japanese Rat Snake

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Very cool...do keep us updated on her progress. Right now her color reminds of the Baird's rat snakes I used to have, but personality is a world apart, I'm sure.
    I've only handled her briefly, to place her in her enclosure, but she was pretty on the move. No biting so far, though she's pretty good at posturing. She seems more like a runner over a biter. As I've never had a baird's, I'm not sure what they're like personality-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Wow great new pick up! Looking forward to seeing more pics of her! Now we both have old world rat snake girls Also love the FMA name!
    Thanks! Yeah, I went in looking for a Russian rat snake, and this girl caught my eye. I figured you'd get the reference .
    0.1 Red Axanthic Python regius | Mazikeen
    0.1
    Elaphe climacophora | Lan Fan

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

    MissterDog (03-09-2019)

  9. #5
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,485
    Thanks
    12,927
    Thanked 7,460 Times in 4,768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    ... I've never had a baird's, I'm not sure what they're like personality-wise...
    Baird's rat snakes are quite mellow...they get up to about 6' eventually, but friendly, easily-handled pets. Used to take mine to "meet & greet" snake programs.
    While their overall color is shades of silvery-gray, they have variable amounts of yellows or oranges between their scales...always reminded me of an impressionist painting. They climb well & enjoy branches too. Not biters.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-09-2019 at 09:08 PM.

  10. #6
    BPnet Veteran Starscream's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-29-2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    829
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 859 Times in 497 Posts
    Images: 1

    Re: Lan Fan the Japanese Rat Snake

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Baird's rat snakes are quite mellow...they get up to about 6' eventually, but friendly, easily-handled pets. Used to take mine to "meet & greet" snake programs.
    While their overall color is shades of silvery-gray, they have variable amounts of yellows or oranges between their scales...always reminded me of an impressionist painting. They climb well & enjoy branches too. Not biters.
    They're on my list of future snakes, so it's good to hear that they're one of the more mellow species.

    From anecdotes online, it seems that Japanese rat snakes are flighty when young (which makes sense) and become a lot more mellow with age and handling. I know not to judge her attitude towards handling based off a single care in my care; she did just get hauled to an expo, displayed for hundreds of people, and then ferried home with two Big Warm Predators who May Or May Not eat her.

    Even so, she's already incredibly curious, and is constantly watching me as she moves around her enclosure. A lot different than a ball python, that's for sure.
    0.1 Red Axanthic Python regius | Mazikeen
    0.1
    Elaphe climacophora | Lan Fan

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (03-09-2019)

  12. #7
    Registered User Dianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-26-2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    3,798
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 893 Posts
    Images: 17

    Re: Lan Fan the Japanese Rat Snake

    Congratulations on your tiny new addition! Iím always amazed at how tiny the different rat snakes are to start...and zoomy is right.
    Other Snakes:
    Duncan
    - 1992 0.1 Bci; Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Childrenís python

    Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

    Starscream (03-10-2019)

  14. #8
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,485
    Thanks
    12,927
    Thanked 7,460 Times in 4,768 Posts

    Re: Lan Fan the Japanese Rat Snake

    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    They're on my list of future snakes, so it's good to hear that they're one of the more mellow species.

    From anecdotes online, it seems that Japanese rat snakes are flighty when young (which makes sense) and become a lot more mellow with age and handling. I know not to judge her attitude towards handling based off a single care in my care; she did just get hauled to an expo, displayed for hundreds of people, and then ferried home with two Big Warm Predators who May Or May Not eat her.

    Even so, she's already incredibly curious, and is constantly watching me as she moves around her enclosure. A lot different than a ball python, that's for sure.
    I agree, you can't blame a snake that's been hauled to an expo & is now in a new home. Great that she's already curious...that's what I love about rat snakes...they're
    watching me, not hiding. (except for my silly Korean rat snake- I'm pretty sure he's from another planet...)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Starscream (03-10-2019)

  16. #9
    BPnet Veteran Starscream's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-29-2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    829
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 859 Times in 497 Posts
    Images: 1
    Great news! She took a f/t pinky, but only after wiggling it in her face . Off to a great start already .
    0.1 Red Axanthic Python regius | Mazikeen
    0.1
    Elaphe climacophora | Lan Fan

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (03-10-2019)

  18. #10
    BPnet Veteran Starscream's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-29-2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    829
    Thanks
    1,069
    Thanked 859 Times in 497 Posts
    Images: 1
    Got her out today to weigh her and clean up her messes. She's a tiny 19 grams. So little!



    Some around-the-tub pics.





    That last one showcases one of her favorite spots.
    0.1 Red Axanthic Python regius | Mazikeen
    0.1
    Elaphe climacophora | Lan Fan

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (03-12-2019),FollowTheSun (03-13-2019),MissterDog (03-12-2019)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1