Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,026

1 members and 2,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Kenyan Sand Boa Humidity

I was wondering what the humidity for KSB should be at. I’m relatively new to snakes and picked up my KSB about 3 weeks ago.

My humidity has always hovered around 20-30%; however, it warmed up tremendously here in Texas these past few days. My humidity has increased to 40-48%. Any tips on how to lower my humidity or is that a safe level for a KSB?

The tank is a 10g with a screen top. I have a UTH that is set to 93F and a ceramic bulb set to 86F for the ambient temperature on the hot side.. cool side sits approximately 5-7F less than the hot side. All heating devices are connected to a thermostat.

I appreciate any advice.

Phillip

Thanks

Re: Kenyan Sand Boa Humidity

I don’t do anything to attempt to take away humidity as that’s not very achievable. I’ve had mine for about 18 years now in a 20 gal with sand and he does great. Personally I use bulbs for heat which help prevent belly burns and somewhat dry out the enclosure. Put some driftwood or something in the tank for him to use while shedding and you’ll be golden. My sand boa is by far the easiest pet I have I wish he’d spend more time on the surface but I rarely see him until I pull him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Awesome thank you so much! I’m currently using aspen for my substrate. If I understand correctly, you’re saying don’t worry to much about the humidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by etphi View Post
    Awesome thank you so much! I’m currently using aspen for my substrate. If I understand correctly, you’re saying don’t worry to much about the humidity.
    Yeah I wouldn’t worry about it. I think it’s pretty common to worry too much when getting a new animal. Some reptiles do require really detailed husbandry but imo sand boas don’t require anything extravagant. Just make sure that objects in the tank aren’t heavy to prevent injury. Also, even though they rarely come out they will escape if your lid/screen isn’t secure. They’re small but pretty strong. So overall all they need is a heat source (bulbs are better imo), sand (or whatever you wish to use), water bowl and shedding decor.
    Side note, be careful when getting them out. If you accidentally poke them in the head they may bite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-09-2019)

Thanks

Haha that’s definitely true. I’ve kept many different types of animals before, to include reef tanks; howvever, this is my first time keeping snakes. My KSB, Beatrice, is definitely one of the easiest animals I’ve kept. Extremely docile and very curious. She’s out most nights exploring, and when the sun comes up, she’s back under. Lol

Thanks again for helping me out.

Phillip