Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

3 members and 3,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Which snake to get after a Corn?

I plan on getting something at this summer's reptile expo. But it won't be a Corn. All I know is that I want a colubrid. I was thinking a Gopher or a Bull, but that hissing would be a turn off. I like Milks but which sub-species to get. Maybe even a Garter? King?

So what's the next step up? Think, something in the still-a-beginner-stage.. Thx.
    Last edited by DLreptile; 03-08-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Have u thought about a hognose? I love those

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Which snake to get after a Corn?

Bull snakes can be hit or miss, but they are impressive animals, from what I've seen and heard. However, if you get a tame one, he/she will probably stay that way.

Gophers I hear are a little better, but still kind of in the middle.

Pine snakes, I think, are supposed to be a little more chill, and look similar to bulls.

There are some crazy morphs of both bull and gopher snakes, and you can always talk with the breeders and handle them.

I have no experience with any of them, but know people who have. Full disclosure.

I have had bad experiences with king snakes, and have heard mixed things about handling milksnakes.

I think a lot depends on the individual animal.

Carpet pythons are known for being bitey as babies, but I have yet to get a strike from my carpet. However, I spoke with the breeder and picked the calmest and most docile animal he had in the morph I wanted.

Snake Discovery, who has a youtube channel, has done a bunch of videos on Bull Snakes, and I believe they breed those, and pine snakes, and fox snakes. They could be a good resource, even if you buy from someone else.

Anyway, I rambled here, but look for something that catches your eye and your heart. You are going to a show and will have options. Talk to the breeders as well and see who stands out to them as being calm.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-09-2019),Justin83 (03-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Have u thought about a hognose? I love those
    A second this opinion. Hogies are awesome. I might end up coming home with one from Tinley next weekend

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLreptile View Post
    I plan on getting something at this summer's reptile expo. But it won't be a Corn. All I know is that I want a colubrid. I was thinking a Gopher or a Bull, but that hissing would be a turn off. I like Milks but which sub-species to get. Maybe even a Garter? King?

So what's the next step up? Think, something in the still-a-beginner-stage.. Thx.
    If you get a hatchling, most gopher/bull/or pine snakes tame down very nicely. I've not had any pine snakes actually, but I've bred & raised both gopher & bull snakes
    in the past. There are a few that stay feisty but at an expo, you'll be able to pick out a calm one. You shouldn't let a little hiss put you off anyway...it's actually pretty
    cute, & they don't continue it as pets.* It's similar to hognose snakes: if you get one because it's cute when they play dead, well, once you treat them as a pet, you
    won't see that either. Another thing many snakes do is rattle their tails when they're upset or afraid...again, you may never see that, at least not for long. *These
    behaviors are defense-mechanisms for hatchling...they start off very small & vulnerable...if they don't defend themselves vigorously, they don't survive, grow & breed.

Bull & gopher snakes are sturdy constrictors that get about 6' (eventually, not "overnight") & I've never found them difficult to handle...they're fairly smart & don't bite,
    assuming you initially take some time to handle them considerately. They are NOT likely to confuse you with food, unlike some kings, & they're fun (easy) to feed f/t.

If you like docile snakes that handle well, there's a couple rat snakes you might look into. My favorites are Trans Pecos rat snakes (they max out about 4') and Baird's
    rat snakes (get up to about 6'). I enjoy most rat snakes anyway, I've kept many other kinds besides what I currently have: the others are perfectly tame-able, but
    they aren't as naturally calm as the Trans Pecos & Bairds.

I've had various milk & king snakes over the years: for handling, I'd recommend most king snakes over the more nervous (flighty) milk snakes. But I still prefer the
    outgoing personality of rat snakes, & some king snakes are heavily-food-focused (ie. are hard to convince your hands aren't edible).

It really comes down to your personal preferences...what appeals most to you. There are more kinds besides...just keep reading up & meeting all that you can. And
    remember, snakes have individual personalities anyway...and much of that depends on your ability to patiently bring it out.

Oh, one more kind to look into: an Australian spotted python. They stay small, about the size of a middle-aged corn snake, & while they need a warm cage,
    they are much easier to keep than a BP...they prefer f/t food, & they are small, so adults can only eat hopper/small adult mice at the most. Very engaging
    little constrictors!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-08-2019 at 10:37 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-09-2019),dakski (03-10-2019),Dianne (03-09-2019),Jessibelle (03-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My vote would be King, hands down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (03-09-2019)

Thanks

Mexican black kings are awesome. Very easy to care for and good temperament. They are gorgeous with the glossy black. Some people refer to them as a poor man's indigo
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I have a ratsnake and I really love and enjoy her curious nature (very similar to corn snakes from what I understand).She won't cuddle for long though. My second snake was a Ball Python, and although it's taken some learning to adjust to his finicky feeding habits, humidiy needs, etc. he is a very wonderful second snake. He is a cuddler, and he's the one I have on my lap while watching TV. It's nice to have that balance of an active snake and a mellow snake.

If I were going to get another snake (which I am not at this time . . ) it would be a hognose. I've heard they have a mild venom but they don't bite often, if you handle them with respect and raise them from very small. They just seem like really neat (and cute!) snakes full of personality but not too huge to become difficult house and care for.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 03-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-09-2019)

Thanks
    I never understood the rep Bullsnakes get for their defensiveness. I've picked up, taken their temp, measured, weighed, etc. a ton of wild Bulls (best weekend was over 20 Bulls -I'd have to check my notes for a hard number but certainly over 20) … Anyway, over the years I can only remember one of them putting up a decent effort into trying to bite me and even that old boy mellowed out without me having to restrain his melon while I took his stats. Only a few have hissed at me too...

Bulls are impressive snakes as adults and they have called to me many times but keeping wild ones for a couple weeks at a time for group trainings always tempered that idea. I decided I didn't want to dedicate the large size of the environment that I thought would be necessary due to their activity and their ability to rearrange an enclosure is impressive.

That being said, I'm sure a captive born one is somewhat different than their free brothers. Finding a reputable breeder willing to share his or her thoughts on the matter would probably be more help.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-09-2019),Dianne (03-09-2019),EL-Ziggy (03-12-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've seen hognose pop up a few times during this thread. Hognose are awesome little snakes, but can be a bit tricky to get going. If you go that route, I'd suggest a well started female. Males can be tricky to get eating.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-09-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast