Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

4 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Two heat sources on one thermostat?

Hello all. My UTH (which is for a 10-20 gallon) isn’t enough heat for my 20 long so I bought a CHE. Should I just have the CHE on the thermostat or use a splitter & plug both heat sources into it? I was going to run the UTH without the thermostat & have a few layers of paper towel at the bottom in case the little guy burrows through the repti bark, he’ll have a buffer. Not that it’s that hot. I can touch the bare glass & it won’t burn me. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was going to run the UTH without the thermostat & have a few layers of paper towel at the bottom in case the little guy burrows through the repti bark, he’ll have a buffer. Not that it’s that hot. I can touch the bare glass & it won’t burn me. What do you guys think?
    That's what everyone that had to take their animal to the vet for severe burn said.

A UTH or any other type of heat source MUST BE CONTROLLED by a thermostat to avoid overheating, burns and fire hazard.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-08-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-08-2019),Craiga 01453 (03-08-2019),larryd23 (03-08-2019),MissterDog (03-08-2019)

Thanks
    You need a thermostat for each heating device. If you can't afford another thermostat you could put the CHE on a dimmer. You have to adjust it often though.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    ALL heating equipment should be regulated by a thermostat.

And no, you can't run 2 off that tstat. There's only 1 probe, so it can only control 1 spot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (03-08-2019)

Thanks

Re: Two heat sources on one thermostat?

So buy a second thermostat, got it. When i was testing the temps with just the UTH it never stopped heating. It was set on 90 & I had the probe resting on top of the substrate (where the snake will obviously be). Is that not where the probe should be?

Thanks

Ugh I'm going through this issue myself. I have the same UTH and it's not enough heat (I think). I live in California and it's been a bit on the cool side. The UTH has been running a little hot but my snake hasn't buried himself in the bedding. I made a mistake from the beginning and placed the thermostat probe outside of the UTH. So I had it glass, UTH then probe. Well it never gave me a correct reading. So last night I peeled the UTH off the tank and sandwiched the probe between the glass and UTH. I still not getting proper heating. I have the thermostat at the highest but inside the warm hide I'm only getting a temperature of 85 at the highest. I don't know what to do anymore. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for hijacking the post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red357 View Post
    Ugh I'm going through this issue myself. I have the same UTH and it's not enough heat (I think). I live in California and it's been a bit on the cool side. The UTH has been running a little hot but my snake hasn't buried himself in the bedding. I made a mistake from the beginning and placed the thermostat probe outside of the UTH. So I had it glass, UTH then probe. Well it never gave me a correct reading. So last night I peeled the UTH off the tank and sandwiched the probe between the glass and UTH. I still not getting proper heating. I have the thermostat at the highest but inside the warm hide I'm only getting a temperature of 85 at the highest. I don't know what to do anymore. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for hijacking the post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    It's important to understand that your UTH is there solely to provide a hot spot and not for ambient temps. If the temps in the room the enclosure is in doesn't maintain a constant temp in the upper 70s-mid 80s you will need an additional heat source.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-08-2019)

Thanks

I figured that the probe should be on top of the substrate where the snake will be. If it's on the glass under the substrate it will get a higher reading than the snake feels, correct? 1"-2" of bedding must dissipate some of the heat right?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikemooch View Post
    So buy a second thermostat, got it. When i was testing the temps with just the UTH it never stopped heating. It was set on 90 & I had the probe resting on top of the substrate (where the snake will obviously be). Is that not where the probe should be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red357 View Post
    yep, make sure the placement is like how it's outlined in this helpful diagram from Mr Mod Pitontheprowl.

Edit: also looks like that thermostat u have is rated up to 600watts which would be good for running a rack w/ a long strip of heattape and your UTH is rated up to 24watts. u don't have to buy the higher wattage thermostat if they offer a lower watt one for less.
    Last edited by Ax01; 03-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Got it! Thank you so much. I'm going to use that thermostat for my CHE & get a simple "on / off" model for the UTH.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast