Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,757

0 members and 2,757 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Rattlesnake Roundups

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay!

3 12.00%
  • Nay!

22 88.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they are Ok if they are regulated properly. I have no problem with hunting them for food or skin or culling them if the populations are too high.

The negative I have is the unethical trapping used by some where they put gasoline into a snake den to force them out. That's bad for the environment and kind of cheating. If that were eliminated it would, I believe, also lower to risk of over hunting.
    - Mason

Thanks

Re: Rattlesnake Roundup Season Starts Now!

LEAVE THEM ALONE, AND THEY WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE!!!!

Thats my thought.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MCKINLEYW For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-15-2019),Bogertophis (03-14-2019),FollowTheSun (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    I think they are Ok if they are regulated properly. I have no problem with hunting them for food or skin or culling them if the populations are too high.

The negative I have is the unethical trapping used by some where they put gasoline into a snake den to force them out. That's bad for the environment and kind of cheating. If that were eliminated it would, I believe, also lower to risk of over hunting.
    That's just it though...populations are generally not too high. When people turn this hunt into a contest, they go far & wide to find & catch them from areas where they bother NO one, & they do so any way they can, even when it means harming the environment (pouring gas into holes, for example) that kills all sorts of animals & renders groundwater unfit. This is wrong on all levels. And since it's a contest...people WILL cheat, they WILL keep doing this...it's already against the law & defies common sense. The rattlesnakes are getting harder & harder to find...combined with climate change, habitat encroachment everywhere & endless pollution, they may well be driven extinct. I have a problem with that, & so should you.

So, you really think it's alright for people to go out & catch them and just keep them in containers (trash cans etc) without food & water, sometimes for months! -in anticipation of this sick festival & the chance to tease, torture & slaughter them publicly? The clear message to children in attendance is to disrespect & kill nature. Do you think they'll suddenly grow some empathy when they find frogs or king snakes? Not likely...

FYI, Hanta virus is alive & well, especially in areas where snakes have been made scarce...we need snakes, and even rattlesnakes are part of the balance of nature. They are NOT out to "get us", though in Texas who could blame them?

Frankly I'm shocked & deeply disappointed that anyone here keeping & presumably caring about snakes would hold views such as yours. Can rattlesnakes cause harm? sure...but so can bears, coyotes, skunks, wild felines etc. By your logic, maybe we should just eliminate all wild animals? But you know what causes even more harm than rattlesnakes? Humans. I'd rather find myself alone in a dark alley with rattlesnakes than most of my fellow humans.

I've been heavily involved with snakes (including numerous rattlesnakes) for many years, & because I've been public about it, people often volunteer comments to me. They tell me all about the harmless gopher snake that they "just had to kill" because it vibrated it's tail at them & wouldn't leave when they yelled at it. Beside knowing NOTHING about snakes, I've concluded that many people hate snakes because (some) snakes dare to hold their ground or appear to defend themselves...despite the obvious fact we appear to be huge predators coming after them. What does that say about people? You know what I think? that we're only as good as the way we treat the "least" of us...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-14-2019 at 05:05 PM.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-15-2019),Ax01 (03-15-2019),FollowTheSun (03-15-2019),MissterDog (03-14-2019),richardhind1972 (03-14-2019),Shayne (03-15-2019),Sonny1318 (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    "Slow claps"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    These kind of events only serve to reinforce people's hatred , ignorance, and fear of a creature that is very useful for our world. I think we would be horrified to picture our own pet snakes in the place of these rattlers. They are just minding their own business, eating all the rodents, trying their best to hide until they are dragged or burned out of their hides and killed.

Yes it is sometimes necessary to cull a population (due mostly to loss of habitat, which is our fault), but most hunters show a certain amount of respect when they shoot a deer. Many hunters I know will even quietly thank the deer for the life it has given. They don't indiscriminately shoot all deer they come across (like these rattlesnake round up folks do), they won't kill pregnant deer or fawns. They don't go around setting off bombs to see how many they can kill in a day, or burning up a forest to drive the deer out, they don't create a festival around it, which is essential what these round-ups do. The snake round up has the same ignorant, backwards mentality as the old Bison round-ups, wolf kills, and Passenger Pigeon shoot-outs.

We can't claim to be good stewards of the Earth if we don't show respect and understanding to all of God's creatures, and that includes using higher thinking skills to discriminate between asinine outdated festivals and land/resource management.

I live in the Southwest and have come across a few rattlers in my time. I leave them alone! I work at one hospice unit that is close to the edge of the desert and about twice a year we have to call a rattlesnake removal company to come and get the snake. We've seen some very very large ones! They are professionally and humanely removed and driven further out into the desert and released. That's the way it should be.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 03-15-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-16-2019),Ax01 (03-15-2019),Bogertophis (03-15-2019),MissterDog (03-15-2019),richardhind1972 (03-15-2019)

Thanks

I understand thinning the population, but the way they conduct those things is just terrible. I can't imagine any other animal that their disposal is being dumped in a pit with thousands of other stressed snakes and beheaded with a shovel; especially how publicized and celebrated the whole thing is. It seems really barbaric, in my opinion. It's like selling tickets and having fun at a slaughterhouse.

All my opinion, of course! I understand both sides of the coin.
    o { I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. } o

0.1 Normal Ball Python - Kira

1.0 Pointer mix - Duke
    0.1 GSD - Nikita
    1.0 Cat - Simba

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolftrap For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-15-2019),Bogertophis (03-15-2019),FollowTheSun (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrap View Post
    I understand thinning the population, but the way they conduct those things is just terrible. I can't imagine any other animal that their disposal is being dumped in a pit with thousands of other stressed snakes and beheaded with a shovel; especially how publicized and celebrated the whole thing is. It seems really barbaric, in my opinion. It's like selling tickets and having fun at a slaughterhouse.

All my opinion, of course! I understand both sides of the coin.
    Exactly. I'm not sure how this is not considered animal cruelty under some kind of laws. I occasionally read about some kind of animal cruelty involving snakes and turtles, etc and those people, if they are found, are charged with animal cruelty.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 03-15-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-15-2019),Bogertophis (03-15-2019),wolftrap (03-15-2019)

Thanks

it doesn't seem that "pests" are considered equal to other animals when it comes to animal rights laws, which is totally sadistic. I'd argue that most ways to get rid of unwanted rodents, reptiles, insects, birds, fish, opportunistic predators, etc are pretty inhumane. ):
    o { I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. } o

0.1 Normal Ball Python - Kira

1.0 Pointer mix - Duke
    0.1 GSD - Nikita
    1.0 Cat - Simba

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolftrap For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-15-2019),Bogertophis (03-15-2019),FollowTheSun (03-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's just it though...populations are generally not too high. When people turn this hunt into a contest, they go far & wide to find & catch them from areas where they bother NO one, & they do so any way they can, even when it means harming the environment (pouring gas into holes, for example) that kills all sorts of animals & renders groundwater unfit. This is wrong on all levels. And since it's a contest...people WILL cheat, they WILL keep doing this...it's already against the law & defies common sense. The rattlesnakes are getting harder & harder to find...combined with climate change, habitat encroachment everywhere & endless pollution, they may well be driven extinct. I have a problem with that, & so should you.

So, you really think it's alright for people to go out & catch them and just keep them in containers (trash cans etc) without food & water, sometimes for months! -in anticipation of this sick festival & the chance to tease, torture & slaughter them publicly? The clear message to children in attendance is to disrespect & kill nature. Do you think they'll suddenly grow some empathy when they find frogs or king snakes? Not likely...

FYI, Hanta virus is alive & well, especially in areas where snakes have been made scarce...we need snakes, and even rattlesnakes are part of the balance of nature. They are NOT out to "get us", though in Texas who could blame them?

Frankly I'm shocked & deeply disappointed that anyone here keeping & presumably caring about snakes would hold views such as yours. Can rattlesnakes cause harm? sure...but so can bears, coyotes, skunks, wild felines etc. By your logic, maybe we should just eliminate all wild animals? But you know what causes even more harm than rattlesnakes? Humans. I'd rather find myself alone in a dark alley with rattlesnakes than most of my fellow humans.

I've been heavily involved with snakes (including numerous rattlesnakes) for many years, & because I've been public about it, people often volunteer comments to me. They tell me all about the harmless gopher snake that they "just had to kill" because it vibrated it's tail at them & wouldn't leave when they yelled at it. Beside knowing NOTHING about snakes, I've concluded that many people hate snakes because (some) snakes dare to hold their ground or appear to defend themselves...despite the obvious fact we appear to be huge predators coming after them. What does that say about people? You know what I think? that we're only as good as the way we treat the "least" of us...
    TOTALLY agree. Well said.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-15-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Bogertophis stated it better than I could.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (03-16-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast