Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

2 members and 3,076 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Crazy Feeding Night - For My Crew Anyway

Last night was a weird feeding night.

Everyone who usually strikes fast and with gusto didn't. I used the wrong tongs, my spare set, that locks, instead of the non-locking ones, with Behira, and my BP, who has barely eaten all winter, and not since early January, gobbled down a rat.

1. Behira, my Ghost BCI, took about 4 minutes of staring at the rat, and almost coming out to see me, before striking. Very strange for her. Then she strikes, and I release the tongs and start to pull them out, and she starts coming with them! I used the locking tongs, my old spare set, instead of the non-locking tongs! I was so tired last night (long story) that I made a big mistake. Behira did not let go of that rat and tried to grab anything in her tank to stay in there. She flipped a house, banged the walls, etc. UGH! It all happened quick. Realizing she wouldn't release the rat for anything, I unlocked the tongs, shut the door, and walked away.

2. Yafe, my carpet python, who eats like clockwork, refused! He's going to shed soon, but that doesn't always stop him!

3. My 2 Corns, who are voracious eaters, both grabbed the mice off the tongs, but refused to coil, even when I pulled on the rodent. They were just like, "MINE! I eat now!"

4. Shayna, my BP, who fasts in the winter normally, hadn't eaten since early January and only 2 rats in the past 6 months, devoured a rat!

Overall. 5 out 6 snakes ate, and that's a good night!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-18-2019),richardhind1972 (03-18-2019),Sonny1318 (03-18-2019)

Thanks
    Yeah, my snakes sometimes refuse food, primarily my ball pythons and hoggie, but my thayers kingsnake sometimes does too. Others, like my 2 cali kings and the Aussie water python never refuse, and if they did it would be cause for alarm..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-18-2019)

Thanks

Crazy Feeding Night - For My Crew Anyway

Crazy night indeed! Glad you had such success.

Is it a full moon? Because last night was feeding night over here as well.... and my 6 ft Cal King struck but missed the mouse, then LAUNCHED herself halfway out of her enclosure (front-opening). She was striking non-stop and flailing herself around like something out of a horror movie, dangling from the cage.... I tried to nudge her back in the enclosure with the tongs. but she started constricting the tongs, and I couldn’t get her off, and she was nearly on the floor. Thankfully my boyfriend heard the commotion and came to assist me and we managed to get her back in the cage without anyone getting bit. She then devoured 2 adult mice and was looking for more.

Next time I feed her I will have tongs in one hand and a snake hook in the other.

But... my BP didn’t eat. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alittleFREE; 03-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-18-2019),dakski (03-18-2019),FollowTheSun (03-18-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Crazy Feeding Night - For My Crew Anyway

That's good then Dave, it's horrible when they have a normal routine and that all goes out the window

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Do you mind letting me know what kind of feeding tongs you use? We were in need of longer ones due to growing snakes so picked up a locking hemostat, but I don't like them so far. Hand/eye coordination is not my strongest attribute, lol.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Do you mind letting me know what kind of feeding tongs you use? We were in need of longer ones due to growing snakes so picked up a locking hemostat, but I don't like them so far. Hand/eye coordination is not my strongest attribute, lol.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/hemostat-24

Out of stock right now. However, contact them and they should be in soon, I imagine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

WhompingWillow (03-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Yes, NON-locking hemostats are a must, lol... I don't care much for hemostats anyway, I use what looks like giant 12" tweezers. (I also have one 18" but I don't
    care much for it...it's awkward, unless you need something retrieved from your sink drain...)

Dave- glad you got thru the night OK. Sounds like they had a conspiracy to mess with you? While not the "usual", I'd say that was normal for Yafe though,
    as well as for your corns- why constrict when all you have to do is just eat it? They learn about f/t, & they're usually mellower pets then.

alittleFree- that's REALLY "normal" for an adult Cal. king. At least she didn't have her mouth on the tongs... I love their colubrid-enthusiasm!
    When my female was really old (& goofy!), she actually once tried to eat her own tail...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, NON-locking hemostats are a must, lol... I don't care much for hemostats anyway, I use what looks like giant 12" tweezers. (I also have one 18" but I don't
    care much for it...it's awkward, unless you need something retrieved from your sink drain...)

Dave- glad you got thru the night OK. Sounds like they had a conspiracy to mess with you? While not the "usual", I'd say that was normal for Yafe though,
    as well as for your corns- why constrict when all you have to do is just eat it? They learn about f/t, & they're usually mellower pets then.

alittleFree- that's REALLY "normal" for an adult Cal. king. At least she didn't have her mouth on the tongs... I love their colubrid-enthusiasm!
    When my female was really old (& goofy!), she actually once tried to eat her own tail...
    Yeah, not worried about Yafe one bit. He's going to shed and probably can't see too well. He seemed more afraid than interested in striking. I didn't push the issue.

Figment strikes 90% of the time, but Solana, not so much. So unusual for him, but not for her.

I had bought the locking hemostats by accident and moving things around, put them near the non-locking ones.

Big Snake = 24 inches Hemostats for me .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Yes, I still have my non-locking hemostats (18" & 24") from when I kept rattlebrats. I hear ya... Good equipment is a good investment, even though mine
    get very little use now. Locking ones are a nightmare, as you just proved.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-18-2019)