Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,089

0 members and 3,089 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: which rack setup should I go for?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • AP CB70 (link to it is in description)

1 33.33%
  • Vivarium Electronics (link in description)

2 66.67%
  • Neither! I have a better idea! (comment what you've got!)

0 0%
    Thanks

AP CB70 rack vs Vivarium electronics racks? Which is better?

I'm currently eyeballing the Animal Plastics CB70 rack, (3 shelves) vs the vivarium electronics rack of the same design.

on one hand, the AP rack looks more refined and sleek with a nice flat top that i could put my fish tank or tarantula tubs on top BUT only has 3 inch heat tape and costs more since i will have to buy tubs and assemble it, which isnt a HUGE deal. it's the cost that gets me.

On the other hand, the vivarium rack comes already assembled WITH tubs AND a 4 inch heat tape, but has a dorky design to it and is not as sleek.

Does anyone have either of these racks? What would you go with? Here's some links to both

https://apcages.com/collections/ap-c...m-tub-juvenile

http://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile...series-2-rack/

thanks!

Thanks

Re: AP CB70 rack vs Vivarium electronics racks? Which is better?

I have the CH70 and really like it. I have the 11in heat tape for the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I considered both of those racks and do have the AP 570 combo rack, 4 shelves, but wound up going with a CSerpents V70 rack instead. I ordered in time for an expo pickup, so I got the enclosed 5 shelf one, and it is fantastic.

I think the CSerpents is a pretty good combo of the two with a fair price, especially if you can swing an expo to pickup yourself to skip shipping. Fairly nice and sleek design with a way to stack if you expand for more. It lacks the rounded edges of my AP, but shelves don't stick out past the walls at all which makes that no big deal. Expo pickups are all assembled racks and most smaller ones are shipped that way as well, if I remember right this includes the 3 shelf V70. Included the tubs in the price on the site. It is 3" heat tape but it seems to heat a solid 8-9" area in the back to 88-91 which is enough for me (and 4" heat isn't really much bigger; not worth an upgrade unless it is 6" tape or bigger in my opinion).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I've been using an AP CB70 rack for about 2 years now (12 stack) and really happy with it, photo below. Got my tubs from Amazon (Sterilite 19608006 41 qt).

I wouldn't recommend putting anything heavy on top of ANY plastic rack or cage, as over time they may sag which can cause the tubs to stick. I am not saying this would happen with the AP (it's very thick compared to my proline and boaphile caging which sagged) but just something to keep in mind. You may want to ask Ali at AP their thoughts on weight limit for stacking on top if you want to pursue going with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with! They would probably both do great.

For the Horde!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (03-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I wouldn't recommend putting anything heavy on top of ANY plastic rack or cage, as over time they may sag which can cause the tubs to stick. I am not saying this would happen with the AP (it's very thick compared to my proline and boaphile caging which sagged) but just something to keep in mind. You may want to ask Ali at AP their thoughts on weight limit for stacking on top if you want to pursue going with them.
    Agreed. I definitely wouldn't put a fish tank of any size on top of a rack. You might get away with something 1-2 gallons or less full of water, but more than that would be a bad idea. (Not to mention what could happen with spilled water from a water change.. too likely to short out the heat tape or drench a tub.)

A few tarantula tubs would probably be just fine, but water is heavy (~10 lbs per gallon is the aquarium-hobby standard estimate) and glass tanks add substantial weight as they increase in size due to the glass as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-07-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Both are great racks and great people to deal with, ultimately IMO it will come down to lead time, usually with AP you are looking at a minimum of 16 weeks a little less for Reptile Basics.

If you are really in a hurry I would say contact Chris at C-Serpents another great products and person to deal with but will shorter lead time. https://cserpents.com/C_Serpents_Hot_Box/HOME.html
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I don't really have a dog in this race, because I decided to stick with just my two BP's (since I have a room full of tortoises to deal with already) and therefore went with enclosures instead of a rack, but were I to get a rack today I would work with Chris from C-Serpents. He gave me tons of info and from the various people I've spoken with his product is fantastic.