Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

2 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Toe Sheds

Thanks

Toe Sheds

My 8 y/o leopard gecko is very active and fast moving. He hates being soaked and removing toe shed.

Any tips on calming a fast gecko down so I can remove his toe shed better? I always feel like I'm just stressing him out to no end and I really want the best for him. He just shed last night so any tips for his next shed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Toe Sheds

I've dealt with it to with Carra, one of my leopard geckos. She has a little toe damage and I feel terrible. It's from when I got her and didn't know as much as I know now. She's no worse for the wear, but I still feel bad.

1. A moist hide.

I keep a moist hide on the cool side of the tank (about 78F) that my geckos can crawl into. You can put coco fiber but I just put in damp newspaper and replace every week. They will use it and often prevents bad sheds.

2. If the shed is already stuck. Put 1/4 inch of warm (80-85F) water in a tupperware/plastic container that can easily fit the gecko has has a lid. Drill a few holes in the sides so there is airflow, but it still keeps the moisture in.

He will not like it, but it's not like they are swimming in. The lid keeps the humidity very high in there and will help loosen the shed.

3. In terms of taming an LG down. Try handling and at night as the light tends to make them feel vulnerable and insecure. Start by just putting your hand in and letting him see you are not a threat. Do this for a week or so. Then try to feed him from your hand (put a mealworm, dubai, etc. whatever he likes) in the palm of your hand and see if he takes it.

Kayla and Carra never liked being handled much, but after working with them for a while at night, they have gotten much better.

Anything else, just ask.
    Last edited by dakski; 03-07-2019 at 12:04 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I've known a couple leopard geckos & they weren't too keen on handling either. I think that's typical. (If you want a lizard pet that loves to snuggle & has lots of
    personality, get a bearded dragon. But they're quite a bit more work & expense to keep, so do a lot of reading up first, as you should for any new pet interests.)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I also use a humid hide in my Leo's tank, except it is placed half way on the warm side and I use moss so I can reuse it several times over. I have great success with the humid hide.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've known a couple leopard geckos & they weren't too keen on handling either. I think that's typical. (If you want a lizard pet that loves to snuggle & has lots of
    personality, get a bearded dragon. But they're quite a bit more work & expense to keep, so do a lot of reading up first, as you should for any new pet interests.)
    Hes actually great with being handled, he’s a major sweetheart, but when it comes to toe shed removal he gets pretty fussy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver_the_BP For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I also use a humid hide in my Leo's tank, except it is placed half way on the warm side and I use moss so I can reuse it several times over. I have great success with the humid hide.
    I’ll definitely set one up for his next shed. All the stuck shed is removed but when I notice he’s getting dull and ready for a shed. I have one set up for my ball python but never thought to use one for him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I've dealt with it to with Carra, one of my leopard geckos. She has a little toe damage and I feel terrible. It's from when I got her and didn't know as much as I know now. She's no worse for the wear, but I still feel bad.

1. A moist hide.

I keep a moist hide on the cool side of the tank (about 78F) that my geckos can crawl into. You can put coco fiber but I just put in damp newspaper and replace every week. They will use it and often prevents bad sheds.

2. If the shed is already stuck. Put 1/4 inch of warm (80-85F) water in a tupperware/plastic container that can easily fit the gecko has has a lid. Drill a few holes in the sides so there is airflow, but it still keeps the moisture in.

He will not like it, but it's not like they are swimming in. The lid keeps the humidity very high in there and will help loosen the shed.

3. In terms of taming an LG down. Try handling and at night as the light tends to make them feel vulnerable and insecure. Start by just putting your hand in and letting him see you are not a threat. Do this for a week or so. Then try to feed him from your hand (put a mealworm, dubai, etc. whatever he likes) in the palm of your hand and see if he takes it.

Kayla and Carra never liked being handled much, but after working with them for a while at night, they have gotten much better.

Anything else, just ask.
    Thanks for the advice! I plan on setting up a nice humidity box, I just need to get a good sized tupperware for him and I’ll get that going.

I handle him very often, as did his precious owners, and he’s very good with being handled, but not too much when it comes to his toes.
    Last edited by Oliver_the_BP; 03-07-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver_the_BP View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I plan on setting up a nice humidity box, I just need to get a good sized tupperware for him and I’ll get that going.

I handle him very often, as did his precious owners, and he’s very good with being handled, but not too much when it comes to his toes.
    I don't think any of them like having their toes messed with.

I misunderstood. I thought he was difficult to handle all the time.

I think the moist hide will make a big difference.