Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,942

0 members and 2,942 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wild caught

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Wild caught

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    ...All of the red rat snakes I've caught that were wild have been very calm. Never had one strike at me defensively.
    Yellow rat snakes though.... ....
    I have native black rat snakes in my area (just a different color variation of the yellows) & I know what you mean...I can just imagine my 2.2 Florida rat snakes
    if they were wild...as you said> -LOL. Mine are c/b blend of yellow/gulf hammock & probably some Everglades (one has a fair amount of orange). I've kept
    most of their c/b "cousins" (grey, Everglades, amel. blacks etc.)- they make good pets if c/b but nowhere near as docile as corn snakes are. Formidable snakes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I have native black rat snakes in my area (just a different color variation of the yellows) & I know what you mean...I can just imagine my 2.2 Florida rat snakes
    if they were wild...as you said> -LOL. Mine are c/b blend of yellow/gulf hammock & probably some Everglades (one has a fair amount of orange). I've kept
    most of their c/b "cousins" (grey, Everglades, amel. blacks etc.)- they make good pets if c/b but nowhere near as docile as corn snakes are. Formidable snakes!
    I have no idea what it is about wild yellow rat snakes... but every one of them wants to kill anyone near it tail rattling, hissing, striking... I would rather handle a water moccasin haha

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-06-2019)

Thanks

I have no idea what it is about wild yellow rat snakes... but every one of them wants to kill anyone near it tail rattling, hissing, striking... I would rather handle a water moccasin haha
    You'd be surprised at how well-behaved my adults are...the 7' males even have multiple public 'meet & greets' under their so-called "belts"- even being held by
    total strangers! The wild ones know how to repel threats, that's all. Great "actors"! (not saying they wouldn't bite, just not as lethal as they pretend)

Thanks
    That's awesome and I'm glad they aren't as lethal as they pretend! I wouldn't want to reach into a hole with a wild one that's 7' like yours! even if it's just a few bites lol I've seen some that were big but never 7 feet long, how old are yours?

Thanks

That's awesome and I'm glad they aren't as lethal as they pretend! I wouldn't want to reach into a hole with a wild one that's 7' like yours! even if it's just a few bites lol I've seen some that were big but never 7 feet long, how old are yours?
    They're pushing 11 years now. I love rat snakes...they're fun.

Thanks
    But I'm also sure that the behavior of wild rat snakes is part of what keeps people from wanting them as pets...their "reputation" precedes them.
    Same for bull/gopher/pine snakes...plenty of bluff to go around, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-06-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123