Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,951

2 members and 1,949 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

BRB vs BCL as first boa?

I got my first snake (BP) in October and I've loved being a herp parent. So much that I rescued a couple of neglected "free" leopard geckos off Craigslist as well

After I get the geckos healthy and rehomed, I'm considering picking up a boa as first non-introductory snake. I fell in love with BCLs, especially Peruvian Longtails, due to their beautiful freckling and smaller size as compared to BCCs and BCIs. I have a friend with a young BCC and I'm honestly charmed by how curious and exploratory she is when handled. However, I've been browsing setups and progress albums of Brazilian Rainbow boas lately, and they're absolutely gorgeous. I've heard their temperament isn't quite as good and that they're a little more finicky as far as husbandry goes, but I can't get over how lovely they are. I'd assume that the boa nature that I liked in the BCC would be there in both to some extent, but I don't really know for sure.

Which would you recommend for a lower intermediate level snake owner? Neither? Both? I'm curious about others' experience with them, especially BCL, as they don't seem to be as commonly kept (?).
    Last edited by Ametrine; 03-05-2019 at 11:44 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ametrine For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (03-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Considering that you have only been caring for a snake for six months and that husbandry requirements are similar with a BCL, I think the wisest choice would be the BCL.

I’m not saying that you couldn’t care for the BRB, it’s just that it takes a bit more finesse. You can satisfy your need for another snake with the BCL now, and then do more in depth research on the BRB over the next 6-12 months and decide then if and when you are ready for it.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-06-2019),Sonny1318 (03-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    BCL. I definitely think it would be the better move, especially if you are looking for that so called boa “tameness”.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-06-2019),Reinz (03-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: BRB vs BCL as first boa?

I agree with what's been said. BCL all the way. BRB are very demanding in terms of requirements, like humidity, especially when young, and there is little margin for error.

I have experience with both BCC and BCI boas and they can be very docile and gentle giants - although they have a strong food response, so I would hook train from the start.

I've heard mixed things on BCL in terms of temperament in general, but talk to a good breeder and get a docile one to start, and you will be fine.

Boa's can be nippy when young, but tend to grow out of that as they realize you won't hurt them or eat them and they get too big for you to be able to anyway.

Keep in mind, having only kept snakes for about 1/2 a year, Boas are a true intermediate species.

Why is this is the case, IMO?

1. Very strong food response. This can intimidating and dangerous for an inexperienced keeper.

As mentioned, hook train, hook train, hook train, etc. Also, get a younger animal and grow with it. I would not recommend rescuing a larger animal at all.

2. They need large enclosures that hold humidity well. With heating elements, thermostats, etc. this can get expensive as well as take up a lot of space.

3. They are powerful animals. Docile and predictable they can be, well, as predictable as any essentially wild animal, but they are very strong.

A Boa that's the same weight as BP, IMO, is easily 2X as strong. They are all muscle.

DO NOT let a boa wrap around your neck, or anyone else, etc.

4. They need to be fed properly, or else they can sick, or worse, and at best, obese and live short lives.

Small meals and spaced feedings as opposed to a BP, for example.

There are quite a few Boa peeps on here, some of whom have BCL's and can give you their two cents.

However, please don't take this decision lightly.

For what's worth, I waited 20+ years of reptile keeping to get my first Boa. Did I have to wait that long, no, not at all, but I was certainly ready, financially secure, had the space, the time, etc.

To be clear, I am not trying to be condescending, and will help any way I can, if you go the route of a BCL. However, I think a Boa deserves respect, and therefore, time and thought to ensure it's a good fit for you.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-06-2019),JRLongton (03-06-2019),Reinz (03-06-2019),Sonny1318 (03-06-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Hi Ametrine
    I don’t keep rainbow boa but do have a pair of Bcl.
    I love my pair there three in April and they really are a pleasure to have.
    They don’t grow as big as the imperata or constrictor and are loads slimmer.
    The contrast is so great on my two and there headstands are legendary
    I keep bcc and bci aswell and my Bcl like it a little cooler by a couple of degrees I noticed they that was always hiding in the cool hide until I turned the thermostat down and now they on show more on top rather than hiding, but they are from a cooler climate in the tumbes mountains in Peru soon guess it makes sense but apart from that no difference, never been nipped or hissed at even when they was just over six months old when I got them

Hope this helps a little
    Cheers rich

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-06-2019),Dianne (03-06-2019),JRLongton (03-06-2019),Reinz (03-06-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Don't forget the Dumerils boa. They are not as common or have any pretty morphs compared to the more popular boas... But they are beautiful in their own natural look and they are underrated. They don't grow too big (about 5-6 feet), they are docile even as babies and have not known to bite even out of fear and easy to handle. Mine is a joy to keep.

The only con about them is getting to feed as babies. They require some humidity, they stress easily, prefers lower temps (no higher than 85F), and can be picky about what they eat even after they start eating.

Lastly, and this can be seen as con for breeders, they grow very slow. I don't know how long it takes to grow a BCC or BCI but it takes Dumerils boas about 5 years to mature and longer for the female to gain proper weight if you want to breed them. Hence, due to low popularity as well, they are not easy to find and will require some online digging and trade show shopping.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-06-2019),Fastfish (03-28-2019),Sonny1318 (03-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Don't forget the Dumerils boa. They are not as common or have any pretty morphs compared to the more popular boas... But they are beautiful in their own natural look and they are underrated. They don't grow too big (about 5-6 feet), they are docile even as babies and have not known to bite even out of fear and easy to handle. Mine is a joy to keep.

The only con about them is getting to feed as babies. They require some humidity, they stress easily, prefers lower temps (no higher than 85F), and can be picky about what they eat even after they start eating.

Lastly, and this can be seen as con for breeders, they grow very slow. I don't know how long it takes to grow a BCC or BCI but it takes Dumerils boas about 5 years to mature and longer for the female to gain proper weight if you want to breed them. Hence, due to low popularity as well, they are not easy to find and will require some online digging and trade show shopping.
    BCI and BCC should be slow grown as well.

5-6 years to reach adult size, but I believe they can breed earlier.