Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 488

1 members and 487 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Pied Burms....in the states? Mother of God......

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You're still dealing with the same bloodlines however (albino is the same as it was in 81 when it was brought in by Crutchfield-there haven't been any other strains of albinism in the US at least) so I don't know how there would be some drastic change in temperament amongst the same imported lines in the last 30 years. Perhaps you had a clutch or two in your area that was produced from some aggressive animals or something of that nature. I'm sure there were angry animals in the 70's and 80's as well. It's like the argument in Ball Pythons that darker morphs produce in general, more aggressive animals. I just don't buy it. There's been nothing that links aggression to pattern mutation in any species of snake for that matter....health/nuero issues yes, but not aggression.

I'm sure your experience is real but I don't know how you can't be excited over adding new genetics to the pool when there's relatively few choices to begin with. You can't own a handful of Burms and then decide the entire attitude of the species changed in 30 years because you had a few bad eggs though.

If you ask a few breeders if the albino shows a better temperament vs hypo vs green (or whatever) I would doubt if they implied there is.
    Funny you mentioned Albino as thats what I was talking about. It’s the Only morph I haven’t met or heard of being very defensive which is why Im wondering about these new morphs. Ive had nothing but great interaction with Albinos as well as the guys I know with them. All I had available to me were Normals and Albino’s in 1990/93. Since then, captive bred Burm morphs have tested positive for Indian gene, there is no doubt there. That is the Blushing you now see on heads. So with this i wonder if we see the Indian temperament? Idk but I wonder.
    As far as Breeders, I asked several when I was buying last year and was in fact told about Temperaments to Morph as well as the Hardiness of them. Seems there are some morphs that are coming down with RI more frequently. Albino is said to be one of the Hardiest. Of course there are exceptions no matter what.
    I went through around 50 breeders during my search and got similar info last spring... the problem with that is with such a small community people start repeating what they hear so thats not a good source of first hand experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

So if Albino is the hardiest and the most well behaved.....why'd you get a hypo lol?

My breeder (Serpentopia Exotics, IL) was of the opinion that albinos had the most feeding problems.
    Last edited by KevinK; 03-06-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

So if Albino is the hardiest and the most well behaved.....why'd you get a hypo lol?

My breeder (Serpentopia Exotics, IL) was of the opinion that albinos had the most feeding problems.
    My Albinos have all been very good feeders - they all do seem to have slightly impaired vision issues but that apparently goes for all Albinos ( critters and humans alike )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-07-2019)

Thanks

Mine stonewalled me for four months as a hatchling, outright refusing food altogether

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Thats the first Ive heard anyone say feed issues are associated with albinos. Like all animals there are exceptions and even whole clutches/litters that have problems... but that is not a common problem I’ve ever heard of in 26 years keeping Burms.
    As far as me not getting another Albino, My wife wanted something different than the other two Burms.
    You want a defensive Burm you need to stay on guard around check out the majority of Carmels. I haven’t met one that didn’t want to take a strike at you even after being worked with for over a year. Thats not to say they dont exist or that holding them just so wont chill them out after a few min but you understand what Im saying hahahaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12