Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

1 members and 2,950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Big Enclosure Heating Help

Ok so even though it’s a few months away I wanted to make sure I was prepared for heating my Animal Plastics enclosure.

Its 72L x 30W x 18H and I will have a 150 watt heat panel installed at the hot end. However it gets pretty cold in my house 65-70 is average. So I was planing on getting a large heat pad for the cooler end and just setting it to a lower temp than the heating panel.

Does this setup sound sound adequate for a boa? I’m hoping it’s enough to keep the large enclosure a safe and comfortable tempature. This is my first snake and I want to do everything as best as I can.

Current shopping list:
    1 large heat pad with thermostat
    1 150 watt radiant heat panel
    1 thermostat for heat panel
    1 thermometer/hygrometer
    4 hides (one will be attached to the ceiling)
    1 large branch
    X bags of substrate

If there’s anything I’m missing please let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Big Enclosure Heating Help

Your plan may work fine, everybody’s circumstances are different. Few things are engraved in stone. You can always change things as you go. That’s one of the fun and challenging aspects of the hobby.

My quarantine room does not receive much heat. So I can relate and compare it somewhat to your situation.

When I first got got my big Boa, Punch, a cold front came in over night. He only had belly heat at that time. When I checked on him in the morning it was 64 in the room and on the cold side. And he was on the cold side! I immediately set up an oil filled heater to raise the cold side up to 75-77. For the 6 months or so that he was in that room I rarely saw him on the heated area where the UTH was.

Punch on cool side as usual.

Fast forward a few years. I still rarely see either of my Boas on the hot side. They live on the cool side. I honestly believe if I could drop the cool side to 68 that they would still live on that side. But again I believe in options and provide the necessary husbandry.

No surprise that Butch is on his cool side.

To me, I believe it would be better to use a space heater for 3-4 months rather than a UTH on the cool side. Keep in mind the the UTH does not increase the air temp, just the floor temp. Kind of like heated seats in a car, they don’t make the car warmer.

Also keep in mind when your snake wants a cool side, he can't go left or right due to heat sources on each side. Will the middle be cool enough? This will become more so as your snake grows. That cage shrinks quite a bit when your Boa is 6, 7, or 8 feet.

Just food for thought, there is not just one way to do this. Again, everyone has different needs and circumstances.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-04-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

BurntFrosting (03-04-2019),dakski (03-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Big Enclosure Heating Help

Quote Originally Posted by BurntFrosting View Post
    Ok so even though it’s a few months away I wanted to make sure I was prepared for heating my Animal Plastics enclosure.

Its 72L x 30W x 18H and I will have a 150 watt heat panel installed at the hot end. However it gets pretty cold in my house 65-70 is average. So I was planing on getting a large heat pad for the cooler end and just setting it to a lower temp than the heating panel.

Does this setup sound sound adequate for a boa? I’m hoping it’s enough to keep the large enclosure a safe and comfortable tempature. This is my first snake and I want to do everything as best as I can.

Current shopping list:
    1 large heat pad with thermostat
    1 150 watt radiant heat panel
    1 thermostat for heat panel
    1 thermometer/hygrometer
    4 hides (one will be attached to the ceiling)
    1 large branch
    X bags of substrate

If there’s anything I’m missing please let me know!
    Yes, looks good.

I have a Boa in a 4X2' and a Boa in a 6X2.' It can get 66F in the winter here in my basement, even with heat, without cranking it all winter.

For both tanks (Boaphile tanks - 4X2X1' and 6X2X1') I have an appropriate sized RHP (I would have to check wattage) and heat tape under it on the hot side. I also have smaller heat tape (medium size vs. large for the hot side) for the cool side.

On the big tank, I have a tower with multiple tanks using the same thermostat to keep the cool sides about 78-80F. Each tank has a different species and requirements, so I run the hot side for each tank of a thermostat that controls the large heat tape and the RHP together.

On the 4X2' tower I have, I run all 3 devices off one thermostat (RHP, heat tape hot side and medium heat tape cool side).

For my boa, in that tower, it keeps it 87-91F on the hot side depending on where you measure and where the thermostat is in it's cycle (I use on/off redundant thermostats). The cool side, running off the same thermostat, but smaller heat tape, and no RHP on the cool side, keeps it about 78-81F on the cool side. Ambient is about 82-84F.

IMO, heat tape is cheap. Put some heat tape under the RHP on the hot side and smaller heat tape on the cool side. In the summer, you might not run either, or just the hot side. In the winter though, you might run both. You can also unplug the in the summer and just use the RHP. I am a fan of belly heat, but both boas spend a lot of time not on it and in the ambient zone. However, they do tend to you use it when they digest.

I like to be over prepared and have redundancy. Redundant thermostats, redundant heating elements, etc. In the summer, my cool side heat tape on the bigger tanks virtually never run (74-75F in the basement), but in the winter, those heat tapes definitely run.

Just my two cents.

Please feel free to ask questions or for clarification.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-04-2019)