Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,433

2 members and 2,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Housing a Boa in AP Enclosures

Hello so I am going to be ordering an Animal Plastics enclosure soon for my juvenile red tail boa for when he begins to get bigger. I have a few questions regarding the accessories to add and what decor I can purchase to make the enclosure a little bit more engaging for him as he grows.

Tank size: 72L x 30W x 18H

Accessories I am Considering:

• Door locks (this is a no brainer)
    • LED lighting (I was curious if this could still give the snake the impression of a day night cycle or do I need a different light for that)
    • Basking shelf (I know boas are nocturnal and don't naturally bask but I thought it would be nice to add extra floor space and a little bit of a climbing area)
    • Belly heat tape (I will be getting a radiant heat panel so I don't know if two heat sources is overkill??)
    • Radiant Heat Panel from ProHeat

For decor I know I want one branch, some coconut fiber mix for substrate and of course some large hides for later down the line. I know boas don't need complicated enclosures but I want something in there for him.

Any suggestions for the accessories and decor would be loved!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Housing a Boa in AP Enclosures

What's your ambient room temp? Unless very cold I'd think an appropriately sized RHP would be plenty to heat the enclosure. I use RHPs from Reptile Basics and easily get a 90 degree hot spot and 80 degree cool side.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    What's your ambient room temp? Unless very cold I'd think an appropriately sized RHP would be plenty to heat the enclosure. I use RHPs from Reptile Basics and easily get a 90 degree hot spot and 80 degree cool side.
    I believe it is usually between 65-69 degrees farenheit the reason I was considering the belly tape because I know boss like belly heat so I wasn’t sure if it would be a good idea or not. Thank you for the advice and feedback!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BurntFrosting For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I’ve found that the rhp heats the area fine without additional belly heat. That said, I’ve used a variety of things over the 26 years I’ve had my boas. The only time I used under tank heaters for my boas was when the ambient temp in the room was sufficient and they didn’t need a heat la,p or rhp. Since switching to the rhp, I haven’t needed to supplement that.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Housing a Boa in AP Enclosures

I don’t think that there are any wrong or right answers per se. It’s more of what you want and think is best for your snake.

I think it’s great that you are willing to go with a 6 foot cage with a shelf.

My 8 foot Boa was 7 foot when I placed him in his 6 foot Boaphile. I feel that he has out grown it since he has 1.5 square foot soaking bowl in there along with a hide and drinking bowl, and he is now 8 feet. I have ordered an 8 foot AP cage for him along with a shelf, LEDs, RHP & UTH, and lock.

Now my 5 foot + adult male Boa (a real runt) is in a 4x2x2 with climbing poles that are used. While not “needed”, I may move him to an extra 6 foot T-25.

Butch, Wild Type BI using the poles.

I’m all about options for my snakes. While 2 different heat sources are not necessary, I still provide them.

I love shelves. I look at it as extra floor space, not so much as a basking spot. I have 6 AP cages with shelves and they are definitely used. I have 3 more AP cages on order with shelves as well. All of my cages with shelves are used by the snakes.

Etta, Coastal Carpet busting a move for the shelf.

Esmarelda, Jungle Carpet hunting from the shelf.

I only use the LEDs for cage cleaning and viewing. Natural light comes in through the window, so I don’t worry about light cycles.

I rarely use the colors, white is all I need for viewing and clean up.

While I have locks for everybody, I don’t use them because I live alone.

Olivia, Olive Python, using her poles, but she likes to hang out on her shelves too.

Bottom line, these snakes are in small quarters. So anything added will almost always be used, some more than others. As far as enrichment items such as poles, branches, plants, etc; while used by our snakes, I’m it’s probably more for our enjoyment than theirs.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-03-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-04-2019),Gio (03-04-2019),jmcrook (03-03-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BurntFrosting View Post
    I believe it is usually between 65-69 degrees farenheit the reason I was considering the belly tape because I know boss like belly heat so I wasn’t sure if it would be a good idea or not. Thank you for the advice and feedback!
    Good call.. thats to cool for the RHP to keep the Cool side warm enough of the enclosure is over 4’. If my home falls below 68 my Pro Panels keep the Hot side Great but the cool sides go down into the mid 70’s and I dont like that. I don’t allow my cool sides less than 80. Especially with my Burmese Pythons, they are subject to RI.
    For 8’ enclosures I have to use another small RHP at the cool side. This is because I run my home at 66/68 all year whether its AC or Heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    I’m all about options for my snakes. While 2 different heat sources are not necessary, I still provide them.

Are you able to still get a decent amount of heat even with substrate? That’s my biggest struggle while I’ve been brainstorming. Since I live in a cold house I want to provide both sources of heat but if I have substrate will the belly tape or heat pad even be worth it?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Are you able to still get a decent amount of heat even with substrate? That’s my biggest struggle while I’ve been brainstorming. Since I live in a cold house I want to provide both sources of heat but if I have substrate will the belly tape or heat pad even be worth it?
    Just use a thin layer of your chosen substrate. Uth/belly heat is only really effective with thin substrate anyway. Your critter will push it out of the way accordingly to get the heat they desire. Just make sure to measure the temp of the uth under the substrate, not above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Housing a Boa in AP Enclosures

My situation is different than yours. I live in a part of Texas where the winters are mild, a joke compared to other parts of the country.

However, substrate that is over the belly heat should just be anywhere from a thin layer to 1/2 ish thick. I just keep enough to cover the area. Though my snakes rarely use the belly heat, they just push the substrate out of the way and make a bare spot to soak up heat. They usually do it for a few days during shed, and sometimes after a meal. This is why belly heat is measured at the bare surface floor of the cage and NOT at the top of the substrate.

You can see that the substrate is just enough to cover the floor on the hot side.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-04-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-04-2019)

Thanks
    "Etta, Coastal Carpet busting a move for the shelf."

Now that's funny!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-04-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast