Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,230

1 members and 2,229 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question New Owner Help Please!

Ok so I have been hoping to get a red tail boa for about 4 years now and I have been doing my research on and off for that time. I am getting a one-year old boa in two weeks and I still have some questions for more experienced keepers.

I will be making 3 different threads to answer my specific areas of concern!

Info on my Current Situation:

• The boa is between 6 mo. and 1 year old
    • I'm not sure his length but I am assuming he's no larger than 3ft. max considering his age.
    • I currently have a temporary set up in a 3ft/4ft long tank.
    • I will be ordering a custom made enclosure as soon as I can 72L x 30W x 18H

Questions I have:

• Will this temporary enclosure be ok for him for the next 5 months or so? The custom enclosure will take some time to be made and come in.
    • Will the new large enclosure be too much for a young boa even if I have enough hides and secure places for him?
    • Is this enclosure just overkill? He will be my first snake and I want to give him the absolute best I can.

Thank you for reading all of this!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: New Owner Help Please!

I dont think there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to space for a boa. I think you will be fine with the temp setup size. Put some hides in there so the young boa can feel safe when it needs to. Maybe clutter it up a bit. Should be good provided your husbandry is good to go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    I dont think there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to space for a boa. I think you will be fine with the temp setup size. Put some hides in there so the young boa can feel safe when it needs to. Maybe clutter it up a bit. Should be good provided your husbandry is good to go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the advice!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BurntFrosting For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-04-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

As long as you have plenty of hides in there’s you should be fine as Cletus said.you should be fine viv size too as boas are slower growing than a python if not over fed should last you about a year
    Think you going to enjoy your new little boa, ,don’t forget to post plenty of pics

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    As long as you have plenty of hides in there’s you should be fine as Cletus said.you should be fine viv size too as boas are slower growing than a python if not over fed should last you about a year
    Think you going to enjoy your new little boa, ,don’t forget to post plenty of pics

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Thank you! I was very worried being a first time owner even though I have put so much research into it. I appreciate the advice and there will definitely be lots of pics as soon as he has settled in!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BurntFrosting For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-04-2019),richardhind1972 (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Your temporary cage sounds fine to me too, as does your eventual large enclosure. You truly don't need to rush the larger enclosure...you might hold off
    for a year or more...he's not going to grow huge overnight & a 4' will work for at least that long, maybe longer (based on the one BCI I've kept).

Good choice starting with a yearling...that's what mine was. You've got plenty of time watching him grow, but he's past the first year so he's stronger & more
    resilient. You shouldn't have feeding issues like with BPs, but do ask the seller what specifically he's been taking (mice or rats, live or fresh-kill or f/t), as it just
    makes it easier to know, & less stress for the snake to have things that are familiar. A new home is scary enough for a snake.

Oh, and
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-03-2019 at 02:26 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BurntFrosting (03-03-2019),cletus (03-04-2019),richardhind1972 (03-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Your temporary cage sounds fine to me too, as does your eventual large enclosure. You truly don't need to rush the larger enclosure...you might hold off
    for a year or more...he's not going to grow huge overnight & a 4' will work for at least that long, maybe longer (based on the one BCI I've kept).

Good choice starting with a yearling...that's what mine was. You've got plenty of time watching him grow, but he's past the first year so he's stronger & more
    resilient. You shouldn't have feeding issues like with BPs, but do ask the seller what specifically he's been taking (mice or rats, live or fresh-kill or f/t), as it just
    makes it easier to know, & less stress for the snake to have things that are familiar. A new home is scary enough for a snake.

Oh, and
    Thanks for the great advice! I believe I will be picking up the enclosure in early August but I won't move him in until I see that he needs the extra space as it is a big move

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BurntFrosting For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I also agree both the temporary enclosure and the larger enclosure will both work fine. They will definitely use the space given to them. As long as your husbandry is on point and there are plenty of places for them to hide and feel safe, you shouldn’t have any issues. Congratulations and welcome aboard!
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-04-2019)