Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,105

3 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Yellow Anaconda vs Dwarf Retic?

Which one would be better for the intermediate keeper?

Male Yellow Anaconda or male Dwarf Retic?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Retic.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks

Re: Yellow Anaconda vs Dwarf Retic?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    Retic.

Why?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yellow Annies seem to get a pretty bad wrap. I’m not an expert by any means but I have a year and a half old mainland retic male and a young male yellow anaconda. Strictly from my experience both are super rewarding but ALOT more maintenance than other species I’ve owned. They also require respect. I honestly think you get out what you put in, and spend a lot of time handling and up keeping my animals. Honestly just do you’re research and give an honest answer to whether or not you can care for the species to the fullest extent possible. Strictly from my experience the Annie has been easier, but based on other people’s experiences how calm mine is is an exception. Also my retic is not a dwarf so he grew and he grew FAST. Both have progression threads on here if you want to check them out.

i would think that a pure super dwarf would be a better choice though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I have a male 100% SD retic and a female yellow anaconda. Despite growing faster and turning into somewhat of a jerk when he grew old enough to be interested in girls, the retic is still easier to deal with; he's more tolerant of people and outgrew his defensive nipping phase after a few months. I also have two 50% SD retic females and they are awesome. They've topped out at 10' and are just gems to handle.

At three years old my yellow anaconda is still defensive. She's not a huge snake; being a boa species I'm slow growing her so she won't get to her max size for another few years. She's around the size of an adult boa imperator now, but she will still nip and bolt if she gets scared. I got her as a rescue and she was not feeding due to stress; fortunately baby chicks got her feeding again. So, you may need a variety of feeders available when the snake is young.

The anaconda as an adult will also need a bigger enclosure. They mature larger than SD retics, are thicker in the body, and while may people don't offer one they really should have a soaking tub available (and they usually poop in it). Being boas the upside is that they aren't fed as often and they don't make a mess as often as retics, but when they do it's a pretty substantial cleaning chore.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I have a male 100% SD retic and a female yellow anaconda. Despite growing faster and turning into somewhat of a jerk when he grew old enough to be interested in girls, the retic is still easier to deal with; he's more tolerant of people and outgrew his defensive nipping phase after a few months. I also have two 50% SD retic females and they are awesome. They've topped out at 10' and are just gems to handle.

At three years old my yellow anaconda is still defensive. She's not a huge snake; being a boa species I'm slow growing her so she won't get to her max size for another few years. She's around the size of an adult boa imperator now, but she will still nip and bolt if she gets scared. I got her as a rescue and she was not feeding due to stress; fortunately baby chicks got her feeding again. So, you may need a variety of feeders available when the snake is young.

The anaconda as an adult will also need a bigger enclosure. They mature larger than SD retics, are thicker in the body, and while may people don't offer one they really should have a soaking tub available (and they usually poop in it). Being boas the upside is that they aren't fed as often and they don't make a mess as often as retics, but when they do it's a pretty substantial cleaning chore.
    I thought yellow anacondas and dwarf retics both require a 6 x 3 enclosure at minimum.

Is it also true that yellow anacondas stink more than other snakes?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    My dwarf SD male is in a 48" x 30" x 18" enclosure and he still stuffs himself under a hide (restaurant bus tub with an access hole) when in shed. A male yellow IMO would at minimum need a 72" x 30" x 18". Personally I'd rather go longer than deeper for enclosures, as reaching into the back of a 30" enclosure to clean it is a stretch already.
    Last edited by bcr229; 03-03-2019 at 08:20 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Yellow Anaconda vs Dwarf Retic?

About 6 months ago I came a millimeter away from getting a Green Anaconda, my dream snake. Then all of sudden, a cooler head prevailed. I figured that I would get one if I still felt the same in one year. But I did go ahead and order an 8 foot cage since it would take awhile to build.

So glad I waited. Now that 4 of my snakes are 8 feet and two at 7 feet, cleaning is now becoming a chore rather than a minor inconvenience. And I’m sure that the Anaconda will be a much larger chore in itself in a few years.

Punch, 8 foot Wild Type BI

Im not into selling off my pets. But if I just can’t live without an Anaconda, I won’t do it unless I sell a few of my big snakes first. And I doubt that will happen.

And afterall, when my Olive Python matures, I’m sure that she will be a handful as well. So I’m going to try and forget the Anaconda if that’s possible.

Olivia, 18 month Olive Python

I’m taking the long way around the barn to say to the OP that I sure hope you think things through before jumping through that door.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-03-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-03-2019),KevinK (03-05-2019),Sonny1318 (03-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    About 6 months ago I came a millimeter away from getting a Green Anaconda, my dream snake. Then all of sudden, a cooler head prevailed. I figured that I would get one if I still felt the same in one year. But I did go ahead and order an 8 foot cage since it would take awhile to build.

So glad I waited. Now that 4 of my snakes are 8 feet and two at 7 feet, cleaning is now becoming a chore rather than a minor inconvenience. And I’m sure that the Anaconda will be a much larger chore in itself in a few years.

Punch, 8 foot Wild Type BI

Im not into selling off my pets. But if I just can’t live without an Anaconda, I won’t do it unless I sell a few of my big snakes first. And I doubt that will happen.

And afterall, when my Olive Python matures, I’m sure that she will be a handful as well. So I’m going to try and forget the Anaconda if that’s possible.

Olivia, 18 month Olive Python

I’m taking the long way around the barn to say to the OP that I sure hope you think things through before jumping through that door.

Where did you get the Olive Python in the UK?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

From everything I have read about Yellow Anacondas, they are much more aquatic and require larger swimming areas for proper care. Also tend to be more defensive that retics and much pickier eaters in general. I don't have one to compare though.

I have a couple of retics and females seam to be the way to go for me. They seam much more mellow (feeding being the exception). I might be lucky though. I have heard stories even on here about some with big attitudes and seen lots of videos of people with grumpy retics. I do provide them a large swimming area though and they use it often. None of my retics are picky eaters. With retics it is a relationship that has to be tended to almost daily to maintain.

My suggestion is to find someone with a few of each and spend time with them to see how they are in person.

I would say both are for experienced keepers (I know, I know, hehehehehehehehe). I have learned a lot with mine.

Truth is it depends on the animal also. Each one is unique and has their own traits when it comes to care and interaction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast