Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

2 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Which Snake?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • OD Enchi Champ 66% het Ghost

7 20.00%
  • Perfect Piebald

23 65.71%
  • Neither, wait for the next expo in mid April.

5 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Pancake's Momma's Avatar
    Thanks

Help! I can't decide!

So the deal is that I'm going to be getting a little one in a couple of weeks and I'm torn between two snakes on MM. They are both male and are roughly the same age/size, and are about the same price-wise as well. I plan to mostly use the snake I get as a personal pet, though depending on the one I get I might breed him once or twice with my Pastel poss Yellowbelly Het Pied snake. I also am wanting to use the snake to show off and help educate people about snakes, and so I'm wanting one that will look less threatening.

The first is an Orange Dream Enchi Champagne 66% het ghost, being sold by Milbradt & Caponetto Pythons. He's got some amazing colors, absolutely stunning, and is the favorite of the two with my family. Some of the concerns I'd have for him though are that champagne has a tendency to develop a wobble/make offspring with a wobble. I wouldn't want to breed him at all because of that. I also know that ball pythons get less vibrant with age, and I don't want to end up with an adult snake that is just a plain pale yellow.

The second snake is just a plain piebald (which happens to be my single most favorite gene available to ball pythons) being sold by Anthony Wrenn Reptiles, and he has the most perfect pattern to white ratio I have ever seen. I really love piebald snakes and so if I don't get this one, I'm guessing that I'll end up getting one anyways in the future. I don't really have any cons for this snake, but I'm still having trouble deciding whether I like the piebald or bright yellow better.

(Note, this guys also comes with a video.)

I would love to hear you guys' thoughts about the two, and your opinions on them.

Thanks

Re: Help! I can't decide!

I’m 100% pied! I have switched so many people over to loving snakes after they’ve met my beautiful pied. It always has been and will always be my favorite morph! Your picture of the pied he is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I also love the yellow snakes. Some people don’t like the red eyes of an albino, but they don’t bother me I recently bought a juvenile candino that is supposed to get brighter as it ages instead of fade. So I understand your debate but that pied is beautiful!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I voted but it's really a toss, they're both great.

Thanks

I really like the yellow I have a bumblebee that’s about 4 years old now and doesn’t display a wobble. He did a little bit when he was little but only when striking. Now he behaves completely normal. That being said I’m not sure I will ever breed him because I don’t want a bad reputation and I don’t want to breed animals with potential genetic issues. Although mine makes a great pet and is perfectly healthy, his offspring aren’t guaranteed to be so lucky. There’s gotta be high yellow morphs out there without spider by now right? idk if they’re affordable yet

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Pancake's Momma (03-03-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

I like the Orange Dream..., but, co-dominant traits lose value rapidly and if you plan on breeding him at a later date perhaps not the best choice.

I've never seen a Champagne ball python with wobble. If you are still interested I would ask the breeder if his Champagne ball pythons wobble: If he says 'No' I would believe him.

The pied is a safe investment-if not more...common.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 03-02-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    *.* TNTC

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-02-2019),Pancake's Momma (03-03-2019)

Thanks

If you don't end up with both,I go pied. I just got my first snake and I fell in love with some gorgeous babies but once I saw their parents, while the color was lovely,it did fade/change. I also like there is a video with the pied.

Thanks
    I usually don't even like pieds as much as many others do, but that one is a real cutie! And as you said, I also really like how evenly alternating the white and patterned portions are. Since it can be tough to predict how adult colors will look, no matter how bright the snake looks as a baby, the pied is a safer bet in that regard as well. Honestly though, they're both beautiful snakes, so go with your gut and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you choose.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-02-2019),Pancake's Momma (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    I usually don't even like pieds as much as many others do, but that one is a real cutie! And as you said, I also really like how evenly alternating the white and patterned portions are. Since it can be tough to predict how adult colors will look, no matter how bright the snake looks as a baby, the pied is a safer bet in that regard as well. Honestly though, they're both beautiful snakes, so go with your gut and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you choose.
    I'm glad you said that...I'll have to admit that I'm really not generally into albinos & high-white pieds, but I think this one is super-nice, with more color than most.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Both are simply gorgrous snakes - which is a big deciding factor in a pet you do not intend to breed.

If, however, you DO intend to breed from him in the future then things get a little more murky.

In the first generation only the orange dream enchi champagne will produce anything that isnt visually normal - but unless you bred him to a snake that was a visual ghost combo you wouldn't be able to tell if he carried the gene or not.

Where's as, while they would look normal, every offspring from the pied would be 100% pied.

Of the two on looks as a pet only snake I would probably choose the enchi orange dream champagne - but personal taste is just that.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Pancake's Momma (03-03-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast