Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

0 members and 2,850 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Help! Mites

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Help! Mites

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Ugh okay, sorry for no updates in a bit! Feeling a bit discouraged lately, I'm not sure how to help her. On Thursday it'll have been three weeks since she ate. I'm gonna be honest, she's looking pretty skinny and it's really freaking me out. She's been out and about a lot, it looks like she's searching for food but I'm not sure now because she's not eating. I'm going to attempt to feed her tomorrow night, I'm FINALLY getting some fuzzies for her tonight. If you have any more ideas on how to get her to eat they would be really greatly appreciated!!
    I've been wondering how it's going...so sorry to hear "not so good". She sounds hungry, I'll keep my fingers crossed...gosh, I've never had this much trouble feeding
    TPs, though admittedly I've never had to treat any for mites either. That was a huge setback...

How do you thaw the pinks/fuzzies? In cold water (only) until soft (by feel) I hope?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've been wondering how it's going...so sorry to hear "not so good". She sounds hungry, I'll keep my fingers crossed...gosh, I've never had this much trouble feeding
    TPs, though admittedly I've never had to treat any for mites either. That was a huge setback...

How do you thaw the pinks/fuzzies? In cold water (only) until soft (by feel) I hope?
    I've been just putting them in warm water until they feel squishy like I do with my bp's food, I had no idea the water should be cold! I hope that's not what's been causing this..

Thanks
    I dunno, but try thawing in cold from now on, ok? Warmth causes spoilage & snakes have way better noses than we do.
    And then pinch-damage the nose slightly right before you offer it, to release a bit of scent.

Gosh I wish you lived next door...it would be so much easier to help.

TPs don't need their food warmed up prior to offering...they don't have heat sensing pits like BPs do. But IMO, even prey for BPs
    should be fully thawed in cold water first, before warming briefly to entice them to grab. The thing is, since you thawed in warm
    water, & then had to leave the pinkies overnight in hopes she'd eat, they spoiled faster & that might have made the difference.

You could also try a live pinky or fuzzy, but you shouldn't have to if she's been raised on f/t.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-30-2019 at 03:28 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (04-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I dunno, but try thawing in cold from now on, ok? Warmth causes spoilage & snakes have way better noses than we do.
    And then pinch-damage the nose slightly right before you offer it, to release a bit of scent.

Gosh I wish you lived next door...it would be so much easier to help.

TPs don't need their food warmed up prior to offering...they don't have heat sensing pits like BPs do. But IMO, even prey for BPs
    should be fully thawed in cold water first, before warming briefly to entice them to grab. The thing is, since you thawed in warm
    water, & then had to leave the pinkies overnight in hopes she'd eat, they spoiled faster & that might have made the difference.

You could also try a live pinky or fuzzy, but you shouldn't have to if she's been raised on f/t.
    Okay, definitely gonna be thawing in cold water from now on, thank you! I really had no idea that would have an effect.
    Man, that'd be so great, I'd love to know someone like you irl. Where I am right now I don't know anyone else with even the slightest interest in herps. I'm extremely grateful for all you've done to help me with through this forum, though

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

This will be the last real update on little Orla
    Last night I was getting her fuzzy mouse ready, thawed in cold water, pinch damaged the nose, I was feeling really hopeful until I walked into the room where she was & smelled something really awful. I opened up her tank & she was just laying in the middle of the tank wrapped around her water dish and not moving, I touched her to see if she was okay & there was no response. I picked her up & it was very clear she had been gone for at least several hours. She looked deflated, her eyes were conpletely glazed over & her face was almost shriveled.
    I am completely heartbroken, I was her sole caretaker & I failed her. I feel like I could have done more, I wish I would have taken her to the vet & done more to get her to eat & checked on her more often.. The last time I checked on her before I found her was Tuesday afternoon & she looked thin enough that I was concerned but I never thought that she was so malnourished that she would die..
    I just feel like I've completely failed as a keeper & I'm so so sorry that she had to go through all this. Thank you for all of your help, I'm sorry that it was apparently wasted on me

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-02-2019),tttaylorrr (05-02-2019)

Thanks

Oh no! I'm SO sorry to hear this. I have a feeling that the mites (or the mite treatments) were just too much for your little Orla. You did your best, but sometimes
    it's just not enough. I hope you don't give up...we've all lost snakes, and we'll never know if there was any more that we could have done, or if it was just out of our
    hands. I'm a little heartbroken too, to be honest...I looked forward to your having a great experience with her. Don't give up, you're a caring owner.

Rest in peace, little Orla. See you over the Rainbow Bridge.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (05-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

I'm so sorry. Please don't beat yourself up too much, as hard as that might be. It sounds like you were doing everything you could to both get rid of the mites and get her feeding.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Ditto (05-04-2019),tttaylorrr (05-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    This will be the last real update on little Orla
    Last night I was getting her fuzzy mouse ready, thawed in cold water, pinch damaged the nose, I was feeling really hopeful until I walked into the room where she was & smelled something really awful. I opened up her tank & she was just laying in the middle of the tank wrapped around her water dish and not moving, I touched her to see if she was okay & there was no response. I picked her up & it was very clear she had been gone for at least several hours. She looked deflated, her eyes were conpletely glazed over & her face was almost shriveled.
    I am completely heartbroken, I was her sole caretaker & I failed her. I feel like I could have done more, I wish I would have taken her to the vet & done more to get her to eat & checked on her more often.. The last time I checked on her before I found her was Tuesday afternoon & she looked thin enough that I was concerned but I never thought that she was so malnourished that she would die..
    I just feel like I've completely failed as a keeper & I'm so so sorry that she had to go through all this. Thank you for all of your help, I'm sorry that it was apparently wasted on me

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    oh you poor thing...

i went through a mite issue with two babies this past winter. we were not successful. it crushed me.

please don't beat yourself up. use this time to grieve, reflect, learn, and move forward.

PM if you need to; im here.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-02-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-02-2019),Ditto (05-04-2019)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910