Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

1 members and 2,912 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help! Mites

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Help! Mites

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    So the PAM arrived today and I've realized I have a bit of a problem? It's been below freezing temperatures here the past few days, and I don't have access to a ventilated area in my house to spray anything. Will it work okay if I use it outside?

Also, what all should be sprayed with it? I know to do the paper towels but I'm not sure if I should do anything else?
    Should be fine to use and let dry outside. Make sure it's fully dry, let it sit for hours, make sure it doesn't smell (I let mine sit overnight, I pretreat for OT with PAM).
    I only spray the enclosure (usually a tub) and that's it. Then, once dry and ready, I put in papertowels, water bowl, and a simple hide (usually a cardboard food box that can be tossed when done).
    I believe you can spray the towels and hide if you want to but don't spray the water bowl. I don't bother with those, just the enclosure and I've (sadly) brought home a snake into QT that had mites, this killed them off just fine on it's own.

I would also wait to feed another week.

Hope that helps a little, good luck
    For the Horde!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-06-2019),Ditto (03-06-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So I've had her on the dry PAM sprayed paper towels since Wednesday evening, I put the natural chemistry on her again today & when I had her out I saw that the mites in her eyes have pretty much tripled. I lightly rubbed the natural chemistry stuff on her face but couldn't get any of the mites off, I tried Q-tips with water but that didn't do anything either. I'm not sure what to do, will they just die off eventually or could I be doing more?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

PAM should take care of the mites if used properly. I think they recommend a second treatment if I'm remembering correctly. Natural Chemistry I have mixed feelings about.

If you are wanting a solution that you can use on both your snake and the cage/cage items, look into the Nix method. It's much cheaper than PAM (a consideration if you have lots of snakes), a simpler process, and IMO a lot safer. We also use this as a preventative in bringing new snakes home.

http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/snakes-n...treatment.html

There are several YouTube videos on it as well. Others swear by the Frontline method, but I have not personally tried that.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-09-2019),Ditto (03-12-2019)

Thanks
    Did you spray the enclosure as well or only the paper towels?
    Mites have, I believe, a 30 day life cycle. Any eggs laid will continue to hatch until killed off by the PAM. They may also have clustered on the snake trying to get away from it. It does take some time.
    I've only ever needed the initial spray treatment.
    For the Horde!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-09-2019),Ditto (03-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Did you spray the enclosure as well or only the paper towels?
    Mites have, I believe, a 30 day life cycle. Any eggs laid will continue to hatch until killed off by the PAM. They may also have clustered on the snake trying to get away from it. It does take some time.
    I've only ever needed the initial spray treatment.
    I only sprayed the paper towel, should I have treated the rest of the enclosure?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    I only sprayed the paper towel, should I have treated the rest of the enclosure?
    Yes. With PAM you do a brief spray of the entire enclosure (including lid) so the fumes/aerosol can touch everything. Mites can crawl and lay eggs all over cages and are especially fond of crevices.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-12-2019)

Thanks
    yes... as I stated above, the enclosure is the only part that *needs* to be sprayed, the rest isn't necessary.
    For the Horde!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oh, oh no! Okay, I wasn't sure if it was completely necessary and didn't want to over stress her by taking her out of the enclosure for awhile while it dried. I'll spray the enclosure tonight . I'm really sorry if it seems like I'm not listening to your comments, I'm really trying to soak in all this information and do my best for the poor baby but this is just all so overwhelming :(

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-12-2019)

Thanks
    It's all good, just wanted to be clear so you can get rid of them. I know how stressful mites can be, I had a breakout early on in my keeping. I hated seeing the animals uncomfortable with all those little nasties on them. You're on top of it, you mentioned what was going on and what you are doing, that's the best way for people to be able to help.
    For the Horde!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hey everybody, it's been a little while & I have a few questions.
    Firstly, would it be okay if I attempt to feed her this week? On Wednesday it'll be 3 weeks since she's eaten and I don't want to leave her without food for so long but I'm not sure if she'd even eat because of the stress.
    Second, how often should I be spraying the tank with PAM and replacing the paper towels? I've only fully sprayed the tank once & replaced the paper towels twice since I got the PAM, I believe the bottle says it remains effective for 2-4 weeks once sprayed but I'm not sure if that's how often I should be reapplying it?
    And to top things off just a little update (with an added question), the mites seem to be dying off more now. I soaked her before I put the natural chemistry on her today & there wasn't anything in the water, and when I actually put the stuff on her there weren't any mites coming off on the paper towel (and none on the paper towel substrate when I opened up her tank). I know they're not gone yet but I'm cautiously optimistic, so my question is how long should I keep treating her? I think I've heard people say to keep treating them for a long time after you think they're totally gone because of the eggs, but I can't remember exactly how long

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast