Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

2 members and 3,069 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help! Mites

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I had those little monsters just once, and God I hated it. I’m a fan of the no-pest strips personally. Good luck, hope it goes well.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Help! Mites

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I had those little monsters just once, and God I hated it. I’m a fan of the no-pest strips personally. Good luck, hope it goes well.
    That's all I've ever used too, way long ago...just a tiny piece. It worked with no side effects, done carefully (a specific way). Been lucky ever since...whew!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Okay I don't have any mild dish soap, only hand soap & more heavy duty cleaners could I use one of those heavily diluted? It's all natural ingredients, if that helps.. ugh I feel so helpless right now, I don't drive so I have to wait until I can have someone pick this stuff up for me, is there anything else I could do?

Sorry, I'm home again now...
    No detergents & no heavy duty cleaners. A little rub off a bar of soap would probably work & be ok, or a drop of shampoo. (baby shampoo would be best, but get rid
    of them nasties!) FYI, "all natural" does not equal "safe"....plenty of hazardous things are "natural". Such terms are just a marketing tool.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-28-2019),Godzilla78 (03-03-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sorry, I'm home again now...
    No detergents & no heavy duty cleaners. A little rub off a bar of soap would probably work & be ok, or a drop of shampoo. (baby shampoo would be best, but get rid
    of them nasties!) FYI, "all natural" does not equal "safe"....plenty of hazardous things are "natural". Such terms are just a marketing tool.
    Thank you! I ended up using a bit of baby shampoo after reading the ingredients, glad to know that was okay! I'm going to pick up some natural chemistry mite stuff tonight along with some more conventional dish soap, & im going to be using a friend's amazon prime account to order some PAM. Is there anything else I should get?
    And yeah.. I know, but I get the natural stuff anyway lol

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    No, you just want to drown as many of the little nasties as you can. The water isn't supposed to be like a major bubble bath either, just a drop or two will work.

How did her feeding go, by the way? Did she take from the tongs?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-28-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

No, you just want to drown as many of the little nasties as you can. The water isn't supposed to be like a major bubble bath either, just a drop or two will work.

How did her feeding go, by the way? Did she take from the tongs?
    Okay, h yeah I made sure to just put the smallest amount in the water.
    She didn't take it from the tongs, I tried wiggling it around for about five minutes & they left it outside her hide. She didn't take a lot of interest in it when I was moving it with the tongs so I didn't think she would take it, but I covered her tank with a towel so it was dark & left it till morning, & when I checked on her it was gone! I'm hoping I can eventually get her to just take it from the tongs, but at least she ate it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    I would guess that the breeder has not taken the time to interact with her...not to worry, she'll catch up with your "TLC" & she'll get braver.

Dealing with the mites is a little set-back too, but you have no choice. I doubt she'll regurge the pinkie, they're very digestible.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-28-2019 at 04:48 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    How's your 'baby' doing?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How's your 'baby' doing?
    I think she's okay, I soaked her again today with a very small amount of dish soap, cleaned her enclosure again & replaced the paper towels with dry ones that were sprayed with natural chemistry. Is there anything else I can do? I feel like I'm not doing a lot but I'm not sure what else would help. Also should I continue soaking her on a regular basis (once a day), will that have any ill effects?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    I think she's okay, I soaked her again today with a very small amount of dish soap, cleaned her enclosure again & replaced the paper towels with dry ones that were sprayed with natural chemistry. Is there anything else I can do? I feel like I'm not doing a lot but I'm not sure what else would help. Also should I continue soaking her on a regular basis (once a day), will that have any ill effects?
    She kept her pinky down, right? Are you seeing any mites anywhere? Does she seem to tolerate the soak alright? (make sure she doesn't drink it)

If no major issues, I'd keep soaking her once a day. I've not used that spray, I thought that was supposed to go on the snake? (PAM goes on substrate towels...)

I don't know how effective it is, you might not need both Nat Chem spray & soaks, especially if you're going to use PAM also??? There are no "ill effects" from the
    soaks, that's the safest & most low-tech method, but as I said before, it can miss some mites...it's just the fastest way to reduce the numbers of mites, for the
    safety of the snake. (It's a little stressful, sure...but so is applying the spray, & all the cage disruption...can't be helped)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-02-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast