Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

2 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help! Mites

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I corrected my response, btw...dunno why I said "without....water"? Lol, mind elsewhere. Just that she hasn't been eating much was what I meant to say.
    I look forward to your update & hope she's doing better.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Sorry for not updating earlier! Been having a busy couple of days. I checked on her twice today, she hasn't gotten any of her shed off & it's still crumpled up around her face. I sprayed the enclosure again today just in case, my house is really dry so I figured it would help a bit? I've never really had a shed like this with my bp, not sure how exactly to go about fixing it.
    She also pooped today, I think twice? The first time I checked on her I saw she had pooped & I replaced the paper towels, & the second time I saw a smaller brown spot on the towel, it looked the same as the first time but they were both really liquidy? They looked like when she urinates but brown, nothing solid. Is that normal? I'm not sure what to think, I'm trying not to get too worried but I don't know what this would be caused by Any input would be really greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Help! Mites

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Sorry for not updating earlier! Been having a busy couple of days. I checked on her twice today, she hasn't gotten any of her shed off & it's still crumpled up around her face. I sprayed the enclosure again today just in case, my house is really dry so I figured it would help a bit? I've never really had a shed like this with my bp, not sure how exactly to go about fixing it.
    She also pooped today, I think twice? The first time I checked on her I saw she had pooped & I replaced the paper towels, & the second time I saw a smaller brown spot on the towel, it looked the same as the first time but they were both really liquidy? They looked like when she urinates but brown, nothing solid. Is that normal? I'm not sure what to think, I'm trying not to get too worried but I don't know what this would be caused by Any input would be really greatly appreciated!
    Well, she's just eating pinkies, right? if so, that stool is fairly normal...pinkies aren't much nutrition or fiber.
    Can you post a pic of her shed issue? (you could just spray her, y'know...desert snakes in the wild actually come out when it rains to get a drink) Did she shed her body?
    What exactly is her size (length) now?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-31-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, she's just eating pinkies, right? if so, that stool is fairly normal...pinkies aren't much nutrition or fiber.
    Can you post a pic of her shed issue? (you could just spray her, y'know...desert snakes in the wild actually come out when it rains to get a drink) Did she shed her body?
    What exactly is her size (length) now?
    Oh okay, that's relief, she's still eating pinkies. I can't get a pic of her tonight (I'm not at home tonight) but I can tomorrow, so far no skin has actually come off, just a few bits that have peeled up. I'm not exactly sure but I'd say she's around 1 1/5'-2'. Sorry, I can get more exact measurements tomorrow

Thanks

Oh okay, that's relief, she's still eating pinkies. I can't get a pic of her tonight (I'm not at home tonight) but I can tomorrow, so far no skin has actually come off, just a few bits that have peeled up. I'm not exactly sure but I'd say she's around 1 1/5'-2'. Sorry, I can get more exact measurements tomorrow
    If she's 1.5-2' long, she needs to be eating fuzzie mice. Pinkies are like an appetizer, little substance. Without better nutrition, a snake's body has trouble making
    new skin, etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-31-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If she's 1.5-2' long, she needs to be eating fuzzie mice. Pinkies are like an appetizer, little substance. Without better nutrition, a snake's body has trouble making
    new skin, etc.
    Do you think she'll be okay on pinkies until the 27th? There's an expo then that I could probably make it to. If not I'm fine paying to have them shipped, but the expo would be cheaper & more convenient, of course

Thanks

Do you think she'll be okay on pinkies until the 27th? There's an expo then that I could probably make it to. If not I'm fine paying to have them shipped, but the expo would be cheaper & more convenient, of course
    Until the 27th of next month? That's a long time...if you fed multiple pinkies, she wouldn't exactly starve, but that's likely causing the issue with her shed right now,
    or at least partly. Remember the mites were sucking her blood too...they cause dehydration & malnutrition. And again, I'm not seeing her, but from the length you
    indicated, her mid-body width should be about the width of a fuzzy (aka "crew") mouse. When she's hungry next time, try giving her 2 pinkies...if she takes them,
    offer food again in about a week, 3 pinkies. She needs to build up. Sure hope she has no mites left...poor little snake.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (04-02-2019)

Thanks

Do you think she'll be okay on pinkies until the 27th? ...
    To put it another way, it's like asking "can my toddler stay on a liquid diet for about a month?"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (04-02-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Really sorry for not posting yesterday as promised!! Her shed hasn't improved at all since Sunday, I tried to get some pictures today but they're all kind of blurry, I hope you can sorta tell what's going on! The skin on her face has peeled up a tiny bit more around her mouth & the piece that was covering her eye flopped back over so she can see again, & her body is a lot more crinkley (if that's the right word?) than it was yesterday, but other than that nothing has changed. I also tried to measure her but she was, understandably, very squirmy, so an estimate is the best I can give you (She's probably close to 17"). And the expo is the 27th of April? not sure if that's what you meant by next month, but again I'll do whatever I can to get her what she needs asap.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-02-2019)

Thanks
    I have a feeling the cat litter was not as harmless as you think...it's hygroscopic & she is terribly dehydrated. I'd put her in a shallow soak* (water only, not deeper than her body height (1/2" or less of water) for at least an hour, maybe 2+...her old skin needs to come loose. I've never tried "Shed Aid" products for snakes & I'm pretty sure they're a waste of money...they do what water does. She needs help, a.s.a.p. -she's miserable like this, and there's NO WAY she can do this herself.

*Best way: in small plastic carrier w/ ventilated top, 1/2" or less of water. You can put a wadded paper towel in one corner too (for traction & to rub against).
    If after the soak it seems her shed is coming off fairly easy, do help with damp towel etc. If she needs more time, give her more time, by all means.
    Make sure her head gets wet- mist or gently run water over her.

P.S. Underneath is a really cute snake!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-02-2019 at 02:54 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (04-02-2019)

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast