Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,345

0 members and 1,345 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help! Mites

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Help! Mites

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    She kept her pinky down, right? Are you seeing any mites anywhere? Does she seem to tolerate the soak alright? (make sure she doesn't drink it)

If no major issues, I'd keep soaking her once a day. I've not used that spray, I thought that was supposed to go on the snake? (PAM goes on substrate towels...)

I don't know how effective it is, you might not need both Nat Chem spray & soaks, especially if you're going to use PAM also??? There are no "ill effects" from the
    soaks, that's the safest & most low-tech method, but as I said before, it can miss some mites...it's just the fastest way to reduce the numbers of mites, for the
    safety of the snake. (It's a little stressful, sure...but so is applying the spray, & all the cage disruption...can't be helped)
    Yep she kept her food down. There were one or two dead mites on the paper towel before I changed it & a few dead ones in the water after her soak. She's struggled a bit with the soaks but calms down after a minute & just sits in the water.
    The natural chemistry bottle said it could be used both on the snake & in the enclosure, but it said to wait at least three days between applying it to the snake (exact quote is "Reapply as often as necessary, but not more often than at 3-day intervals). I put it on her yesterday so I guess I'll wait to reapply on Sunday?
    I'll keep soaking her daily, then, as it's definitely killing some of the mites & it gives me time to clean her enclosure.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

SquirmyPug (03-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Yep she kept her food down. There were one or two dead mites on the paper towel before I changed it & a few dead ones in the water after her soak. She's struggled a bit with the soaks but calms down after a minute & just sits in the water.
    The natural chemistry bottle said it could be used both on the snake & in the enclosure, but it said to wait at least three days between applying it to the snake (exact quote is "Reapply as often as necessary, but not more often than at 3-day intervals). I put it on her yesterday so I guess I'll wait to reapply on Sunday?
    I'll keep soaking her daily, then, as it's definitely killing some of the mites & it gives me time to clean her enclosure.
    Good, so glad she kept her food down, & that you're finding dead mites. Also good that she's not too panicky about the soak, but wouldn't the soak wash off the
    spray? So bathing her daily might be counter-productive, if you feel the spray is working? Your call, I've never used the spray either, and for sure, follow their
    directions (no more than 3-day intervals). Darn mites!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-02-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Good, so glad she kept her food down, & that you're finding dead mites. Also good that she's not too panicky about the soak, but wouldn't the soak wash off the
    spray? So bathing her daily might be counter-productive, if you feel the spray is working? Your call, I've never used the spray either, and for sure, follow their
    directions (no more than 3-day intervals). Darn mites! :(
    Oh that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that! Maybe I'll just soak her on the days when I'm not using the spray? I dunno, that would probably still counter the spray.. I'm not exactly sure what to do :(

Thanks

Oh that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that! Maybe I'll just soak her on the days when I'm not using the spray? I dunno, that would probably still counter the spray.. I'm not exactly sure what to do
    Sounds like the spray stays on for 3 days...soaking would just wash it off. I think you should pick one or the other, so if the spray seems safe, it would be less stress
    for her since you don't need to do it daily.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-02-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    A little update
    I just put the spray on her for the second time, I sprayed a paper towel & wiped her down essentially, & I noticed some things. 1, I can see multiple mites hiding in/around her eye socket & I'm not sure how to handle that? And 2, she's making little clicking noises when she breathes, which leads me to believe she may have an RI, but I'm not sure she has any other symptoms?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2019)

Thanks

A little update
    I just put the spray on her for the second time, I sprayed a paper towel & wiped her down essentially, & I noticed some things. 1, I can see multiple mites hiding in/around her eye socket & I'm not sure how to handle that? And 2, she's making little clicking noises when she breathes, which leads me to believe she may have an RI, but I'm not sure she has any other symptoms?
    Bummer! Are you still planning to use the PAM on the enclosure? (-did you order & are just waiting?) If that was me, I'd probably have bathed her just ahead of
    re-treating with the spray...didn't think to mention that until now, sorry. Your spray alone still won't reach the mites on her face, nor will bathing alone.

Can you dampen a Q-tip (w/ water) & by slowly & gently twirling it, possibly remove those mites around her eye...yes, that's a typical place those nasties go, even into
    nostrils-that's why you'll probably need something stronger (PAM) to get fully rid of mites, I'm sorry to say. (may not be an RI, might be a mite? -but clicking sounds
    are enough of a symptom of an RI so you can't rule it out either- make sure she's warm enough)

So sorry you came home with these little creeps, along with your sweet little snake... Not the way you want to start off.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-03-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Bummer! Are you still planning to use the PAM on the enclosure? (-did you order & are just waiting?) If that was me, I'd probably have bathed her just ahead of
    re-treating with the spray...didn't think to mention that until now, sorry. Your spray alone still won't reach the mites on her face, nor will bathing alone.

Can you dampen a Q-tip (w/ water) & by slowly & gently twirling it, possibly remove those mites around her eye...yes, that's a typical place those nasties go, even into
    nostrils-that's why you'll probably need something stronger (PAM) to get fully rid of mites, I'm sorry to say. (may not be an RI, might be a mite? -but clicking sounds
    are enough of a symptom of an RI so you can't rule it out either- make sure she's warm enough)

So sorry you came home with these little creeps, along with your sweet little snake... Not the way you want to start off.
    Yes I ordered the PAM but the shipping was delayed so it's not here yet. I'll try getting them off with a Q-tip & see if that works. The ambient temp in her tank is low-mid seventies & the UTH is set to 86*, I hope she's not too cold
    Thank you, this just sucks & I really do appreciate how helpful you've been

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2019)

Thanks

Yes I ordered the PAM but the shipping was delayed so it's not here yet. I'll try getting them off with a Q-tip & see if that works. The ambient temp in her tank is low-mid seventies & the UTH is set to 86*, I hope she's not too cold
    Thank you, this just sucks & I really do appreciate how helpful you've been
    Your temps sound fine, I only asked because if (a big "if"?) it's an RI, slightly warmer temps (by about 2*) may help. Don't change a thing.

I truly feel bad for you & especially for your sweet noodle. I've been SO lucky over the many years of keeping so many snakes. Never brought home any mites when
    I picked up snakes from an expo, & only once ever on a snake shipped to me. The only other time was one from a pet store & it was obvious, I just went ahead anyway.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

I cannot say enough good things about the Nix method bcr229 mentioned in their post. Worked like a charm and gave me a lot more peace of mind knowing I could use it on both our snakes and their enclosures (unlike PAM).
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2019),Ditto (03-03-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Your temps sound fine, I only asked because if (a big "if"?) it's an RI, slightly warmer temps (by about 2*) may help. Don't change a thing.

I truly feel bad for you & especially for your sweet noodle. I've been SO lucky over the many years of keeping so many snakes. Never brought home any mites when
    I picked up snakes from an expo, & only once ever on a snake shipped to me. The only other time was one from a pet store & it was obvious, I just went ahead anyway.
    Aw thank you, I feel so bad for her, she's going through so much stress
    That's so great you've managed to avoid mites so well! & on a bit of a lighter note, I've found a name for the sweet little lady, Orla

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2019)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast