Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,885

1 members and 2,884 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: The costs, man! The costs!

My most expensive purchase was for my stack of Monster Cages...

2 - 8’L x 30”D x 12”H
    1 - 8’L x 30”D x 18”H
    2 - 8’L x 30”D x 12”H divided into 3 units each

$3,025 for all 5 cages, $1,052 for the rhp’s for each cage, and $675 for 9 Johnson Controls thermostats. Grand total of $4,752 not including shipping for everything. The total value of the snakes housed in thise cages....$680 for all 9.

I’ve added several bps this year and my recent cage purchases are from Reptile Basics $225 each (36”x24”x12”), rhp $90 each, and Johnson Controls thermostat $77 each ($392 per cage) times 4 cages. If all goes well and I get enough on my tax return, I’ll be replacing all but the largest Monster Cage with Reptile Basics cages. I will reuse the rhp’s and thermostats for the new cages, and hopefully recoup some of the cost by selling the Monster Cages.

The 8’L x 30”D x 12”H cages are difficult for me to reach the backs to clean. I’m currently using a barbeque scraper to reach, but it is not as effective as I’d like. My main motivation to upgrade is to have cages that are easier to clean. Part of that is planning for the future. I expect to remain in good health and am trying to make positive changes towards that goal, but we get no guarantees. I can’t imagine not having my snakes, so I want to be sure that I’m set up for their comfort as well as ease of use for me.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

distaff (03-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Won't tell how much I have spent so far because the number are high for most average keeper, now what you need to tell yourself is that if you have one snale and spend $200 on caging and $100 on a reliable thermostat you are looking at a very cheap investment considering your pet will live 30 years or more that's only $10 a year.

And feeding is not gonna cost you all that much compare to any other pet you could have, same with vet care, if I compare a snake cost versus one of my dog cost it's nothing.

This is the real truth of the matter right here. My Great Dane eats more in one year than my snake enclosure cost me.
    Last edited by fadingdaylight; 03-24-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Typo
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    My most expensive purchase was for my stack of Monster Cages...

2 - 8’L x 30”D x 12”H
    1 - 8’L x 30”D x 18”H
    2 - 8’L x 30”D x 12”H divided into 3 units each

$3,025 for all 5 cages, $1,052 for the rhp’s for each cage, and $675 for 9 Johnson Controls thermostats. Grand total of $4,752 not including shipping for everything. The total value of the snakes housed in thise cages....$680 for all 9.

I’ve added several bps this year and my recent cage purchases are from Reptile Basics $225 each (36”x24”x12”), rhp $90 each, and Johnson Controls thermostat $77 each ($392 per cage) times 4 cages. If all goes well and I get enough on my tax return, I’ll be replacing all but the largest Monster Cage with Reptile Basics cages. I will reuse the rhp’s and thermostats for the new cages, and hopefully recoup some of the cost by selling the Monster Cages.

The 8’L x 30”D x 12”H cages are difficult for me to reach the backs to clean. I’m currently using a barbeque scraper to reach, but it is not as effective as I’d like. My main motivation to upgrade is to have cages that are easier to clean. Part of that is planning for the future. I expect to remain in good health and am trying to make positive changes towards that goal, but we get no guarantees. I can’t imagine not having my snakes, so I want to be sure that I’m set up for their comfort as well as ease of use for me.
    I bought my first boa for my 50th birthday. About the same time, the BP showed up at my doorstep as a hatchling, needing a home (any home, at that point), ASAP. I hope I'll be caring for these same creatures into my eighties - I wonder about physical abilities too. At least snakes are far easier than the birds; OMG, the mess they like to make! I've been setting up my first serious tub project for a long term home this week. It may be a tub, but it is going to be Fort Knox secure, and it will still be beautiful, while remaining easy-care. Love the glass vivs and Exo-terra's, but when it is just me to move them (I MUCH prefer to work alone), they are so cumbersome and heavy.

I've found that costs DO go down with subsequent additions. I know exactly what I need, how to properly re-purpose some things, and now there is a stash of left over materials for new animals, that I didn't have on hand for the first snake.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019),Dianne (03-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I bought my first boa for my 50th birthday. About the same time, the BP showed up at my doorstep as a hatchling, needing a home (any home, at that point), ASAP. I hope I'll be caring for these same creatures into my eighties - I wonder about physical abilities too. At least snakes are far easier than the birds; OMG, the mess they like to make! I've been setting up my first serious tub project for a long term home this week. It may be a tub, but it is going to be Fort Knox secure, and it will still be beautiful, while remaining easy-care. Love the glass vivs and Exo-terra's, but when it is just me to move them (I MUCH prefer to work alone), they are so cumbersome and heavy.

I've found that costs DO go down with subsequent additions. I know exactly what I need, how to properly re-purpose some things, and now there is a stash of left over materials for new animals, that I didn't have on hand for the first snake.
    I’ve only owned one bird, ended up with the ex-boyfriend’s bird when he enlisted. I can’t imagine having multiples...the mess and especially the noise were not my thing. I’m not a neat freak by any stretch of the imagination, but seeds and poo everywhere were not to my liking. Not to mention that they do require daily attention or a partner. My snakes aren’t terribly concerned if I don’t take them out as long as they have fresh water, clean cages, and the rat god comes regularly. That said, I usually take them out once a week, even if just for a few minutes.

I have my quarantines in secure tubs. Links below. No body is getting out of these. I used a wood burning tool to add the ventilation holes, and the tubs are sitting on shelves with Ultratherm heat mats on a thermostat. If I can’t afford to redo my cages like I plan, these setups will work long term for the bps though I will still need an larger enclosure for my carpet.

Ball pythons:
    https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3...s/-/A-51872701

Carpet python:
    https://www.target.com/p/ziploc-60qt...60#lnk=sametab
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019),distaff (03-24-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I’ve only owned one bird, ended up with the ex-boyfriend’s bird when he enlisted. I can’t imagine having multiples...the mess and especially the noise were not my thing. I’m not a neat freak by any stretch of the imagination, but seeds and poo everywhere were not to my liking. Not to mention that they do require daily attention or a partner. My snakes aren’t terribly concerned if I don’t take them out as long as they have fresh water, clean cages, and the rat god comes regularly. That said, I usually take them out once a week, even if just for a few minutes.

I have my quarantines in secure tubs. Links below. No body is getting out of these. I used a wood burning tool to add the ventilation holes, and the tubs are sitting on shelves with Ultratherm heat mats on a thermostat. If I can’t afford to redo my cages like I plan, these setups will work long term for the bps though I will still need an larger enclosure for my carpet.

Ball pythons:
    https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3...s/-/A-51872701

Carpet python:
    https://www.target.com/p/ziploc-60qt...60#lnk=sametab
    The larger species of parrots would definitely get on my nerves. Budgie chatter, canary song, and dove coos are all good in my world, but a 'too or mackaw screaming/screeching....I wouldn't be able to handle that. My goats are pushy and demanding enough, and I don't much care for people, so a parrot that talked - I have zero interest in THAT!

I re-furbished a Sterilite 104 (?) quart tub for the new snake (P. emori, great plains ratsnake, shipping this week?), but the guy who sold him to me said the snake is 4 1/2 to 5 feet long. I added a generous shelf half way up for basking, but I'm not sure that will be sufficient floor space for this animal. The Colubrids do like to roam. Worst case scenario, I'll clear out smaller kingsnake's 40L gallon viv, and temporarily house the Emori in the 40L.

This hobby for me is about long term projects, and basically budgeting a little bit for it most months. My next projects will be taller enclosures made of pond epoxy sealed rigid foam board for some of these more arboreal snakes. The Pit is outgrowing her 40L, and she climbs on whatever I give her. Rigid foam in the amounts I want gets (plus epoxy paint) expensive, and there are some set-backs - the hot wire cutter I got for shaping foam won't maintain temperature - I almost never return stuff, but Amazon is going to have to take that one back.

The fun is problem solving. I spent almost $1,000 on my first bio-active planted tank, for a $100 snake. Years later, it looks better than ever, with so much lush planting grown in. I made two more smaller planted tanks with the extra materials, and spent almost nothing, except for one new glass tank, and another $5 thrift store 30T-something gallon fish tank, and a sourced a fitted cover. I like real plants in tanks, but bio-active has some disadvantages...you can loose track of your snake. The beautiful king isn't tame at all; I'd literally have to dig him out, so I NEVER interact with him. I wanted the new tub to have lots of living photos (spell?), but I didn't want the drainage layer, the dirt, the heating challenges, etc., so maybe run the plant stems out of a sealed container of hydroponic solution (Kratky style - no pumps)...I've made some cuttings, fitted the net pots to plastic jars...suspend the jars from 2" holes drilled into the rigid foam shelf (ugly Exo-Terra background re-purpose) a little silicone, and so far, it looks workable...we'll see. Again, all from stuff I already have. I thought a hydroponic hybrid viv might be a world's first, but the folks on Dendroboard had some past discussions about it. Those frog people always end up with the best vivs.
    Last edited by distaff; 03-24-2019 at 10:49 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019),Dianne (03-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    The larger species of parrots would definitely get on my nerves. Budgie chatter, canary song, and dove coos are all good in my world, but a 'too or mackaw screaming/screeching....I wouldn't be able to handle that. My goats are pushy and demanding enough, and I don't much care for people, so a parrot that talked - I have zero interest in THAT!

I re-furbished a Sterilite 104 (?) quart tub for the new snake (P. emori, great plains ratsnake, shipping this week?), but the guy who sold him to me said the snake is 4 1/2 to 5 feet long. I added a generous shelf half way up for basking, but I'm not sure that will be sufficient floor space for this animal. The Colubrids do like to roam. Worst case scenario, I'll clear out smaller kingsnake's 40L gallon viv, and temporarily house the Emori in the 40L.

This hobby for me is about long term projects, and basically budgeting a little bit for it most months. My next projects will be taller enclosures made of pond epoxy sealed rigid foam board for some of these more arboreal snakes. The Pit is outgrowing her 40L, and she climbs on whatever I give her. Rigid foam in the amounts I want gets (plus epoxy paint) expensive, and there are some set-backs - the hot wire cutter I got for these projects won't maintain temperature - I almost never return stuff, but Amazon is going to have to take that one back.

The fun is problem solving. I spent almost $1,000 on my first bio-active planted tank, for a $100 snake. Years later, it looks better than ever, with so much lush planting grown in. I made two more smaller planted tanks with the extra materials, and spent almost nothing, except for one new glass tank, and another $5 thrift store 30T-something gallon fish tank, and a sourced a fitted cover. I like real plants in tanks, but bio-active has some disadvantages...you can loose track of your snake. The beautiful king isn't tame at all; I'd literally have to dig him out, so I NEVER interact with him. I wanted the new tub to have lots of living photos (spell?), but I didn't want the drainage layer, the dirt, the heating challenges, etc., so maybe run the plant stems out of a sealed container of hydroponic solution?...I've made some cuttings, net pots, plastic jars...suspend the jars from 2" holes drilled into the rigid foam shelf (ugly Exo-Terra background re-purpose) a little silicone, and so far, it looks workable...we'll see. I thought a hydroponic hybrid viv might be a world's first, but the folks on Dendroboard had some past discussions about it. Those frog people always end up with the best vivs.
    Mine was a quaker parakeet- a small noisy parrot. He was sweet, most if the time, but definitely not quiet.

My jump to the plastic cages with rhp and thermostats was funded by a generous bonus from work that year combined with my tax return. I wanted something easier to heat and clean that would better maintain humidity. Prior to that I had a few Vision cages (most bought used), tanks, and homemade cages. The melamine cages I built worked well for several years, but there were issues with the sealant cracking allowing moisture into the particle board after a few years. Plus it was heavy. My current approach is a mix of money saved up and credit card purchases. But to revamp my current setup, uncle Sam is going to have to give me some of my money back.

I like the sound of the planted enclosures, but have never tried them...most of my snakes seem to be small bulldozers. Your setups sound beautiful. I haven’t tried sculpting anything with the rigid foam, but that sounds like a great way to create light weight decor. I may have to try that out. I’ve seen a lot of the bioactive setups for frogs and small lizards...they do have the coolest displays. I’ll be interested in seeing how your hidden hydroponics work. That may be a great alternative and the plants might survive my snakes.
    Other Snakes:

Ball pythons:

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019),distaff (03-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

My cheapest set up for a corn snake was $150 for everything. Rainbow's cage though..... I think I am in the 5 to 600 range.

Cage was purchased for $100 off craigslist 8ft x 4ft X 4ft. Was bear bone cage. around 300 in paint and foam. $30 to 35 for 2 concrete mixing tubs for water on each level. 3 heat panels $40 each and thermostats $25 each to go with them. Random décor around $100... Just did the math. Around $750. Takes 3 bags of substrate at $15 per bag from chewey.com. If I had to build the cage from scratch would have been much more. I think this cage should do her for 2 to 3 more years before needing an upgrade. Then Aurora will be in there and her larger room size enclosure will be built.

I know I am going big here but they need quality of life IMO.

Thanks
    i think i am in the process of my most expensive right now for my skinks.

40gal breeder - half price at petco's dollar a gallon sale - our largest tank yet!
    50 lbs of sand
    misc decorations and hides
    still need to buy a lid
    lights

and i think that is about it. they'll eat our surplus of superworms and dubia thank goodness. my bearded dragon is the WORST eater ever so we have so many extra bugs.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Lol I can relate to this... I didn't even go for a fancy tank setup or anything but the costs still ended up piling on (not all of it from the enclosure though, I also just needed general supplies), and I feel like I'm still continuously upgrading stuff. The most expensive items I bought were the two thermostats I use.

My breakdown:
    30 gallon Sterilite tub = $25
    ZooMed Reptitherm UTH = $30
    Jumpstart Thermostat = $50
    Cypress Mulch bedding = $16
    Two cave hides = $24
    Digital thermometer/hygrometer = $10
    Three spray bottles (for water, vinegar, and F10) = $9
    F10 = $30
    Extra (smaller) sterilite tub = $15
    Fake plants = $6
    Feeding tongs = $10

Later ended up adding a ceramic heat emitter + thermostat because I didn't want to keep my bedroom temperature at 77F anymore, so:
    Ceramic heat emitter = $20
    Inkbird Thermostat = $45
    Wire mesh = $15

Total spent on enclosure: $241
    Grand total = $305

And I'm probably eventually going to upgrade him to one of those wood + glass vivariums one day so that'll cost even more. It never ends!

On the bright side, so far I don't think anything I've bought is regret-worthy. I'd love to have one of those beautiful pieces of sculpted wood for my BP to climb and decorate the enclosure but they cost way too much lol, I'll stick to looking around my backyard for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawarmaPoutine View Post
    Honestly it depends on how you'd like for your enclosure to look. I bought 3 ball pythons and each has a totally different setup and the price tag showcases how much crap I cut out. Don't get me wrong, you can make your enclosure look natural and amazing.. I for example want a bioactive vivarium.. but I am too busy for that right now.

• First ball python (~$250):
      • ZooMed 20 gal starter kit ($180 CAD)
        • iterally everything in the starter kit other than the tank was garbage.

• Corner water bowl med ($14 CAD)
      • cheap thermostat ($50 CAD)
      • Plastic plants ($2 CAD)

• Second Ball python (~$175)
      • Used 60-70 gal PVC cage I got from the reptile manager at Big Al's. ($100 CAD)
      • hide from dollar store ($2)
      • another cheap thermostat from amazon ($45)
      • big ass corner water bowl ($27)

• Third Ball python (~45)
      • ​55 Gal flat plastic tup from Ikea with lid ($23)
      • Dog water bowl from dollar store ($2)
      • Paper towel from the kitchen as bedding
      • $17 hide from reptilesrus.ca

tl;dr

It's all about how "pretty" you would like for your enclosure to look like and how much of a hustler you are when it comes to finding good deals. For example, instead of buying aquarium decorations from pet-smart or pet sections at other stores, go got them from the dollar store. Instead of buying those rolls containing images of trees to be used as a backdrop for your enclosure, make your younger siblings draw on a white board and use that instead..
    Do not get a cheap thermostat. I hate to break it to you guys, but get a reliable thermostat, cause when it fails which those cheap ones do, they will kill anything in that enclosure if you don't catch it. I've seen it happen many times, seen many threads about it and seen it on many posts. When they fail, they get blasted wide open. If you're not going to get a reliable thermostat, then don't spend money getting an animal because you're just going to kill it and then that's money you've wasted anyways that you should of used to get a good thermostat. You want a Good Vivarium Electronics, or a good herpstat which have fail safes built in so when they fail they don't go full blast and kill your animals.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-25-2019),Dianne (03-25-2019),gunkle (03-25-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (03-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-26-2019),Lord Sorril (03-26-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123