Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

0 members and 3,071 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Breathing heavy

Thanks

Breathing heavy

My 4 month old female python just ate a 27 day old rat pup this past Sunday evening. I noticed today that she is breathing heavy, nostrils are clear and tongue flicks occasionally. The breathing is so heavy her head goes up and down a little. Is it normal? Too much food? She usually eats hoppers.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Breathing heavy

Hi,

To be honest the breathing rate probably has more to do with the fact you are looking at her than the meal.

Youngsters also tend to wobble about a bit more than adults owing to the strength of the muscles in their body - I wouldn't worry about it given the descrition you gave.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Shayne (02-28-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice! My fiance and I are taking her to the vet Wednesday. She's (snake) has some of her sensory holes plugged and one nostril on top her head. Still some shed left on the too of her head. She was making a clicking noise too.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kansasalicia View Post
    Thanks for the advice! My fiance and I are taking her to the vet Wednesday. She's (snake) has some of her sensory holes plugged and one nostril on top her head. Still some shed left on the too of her head. She was making a clicking noise too.
    Well hopefully it's not an RI, only that some shed is remaining that's causing the trouble. Raising her humidity, you should be able to help her finish her shed, & if you
    just walk into the vet (with the dried-on shed), he or she won't have time* to do that sort of thing anyway, at least that's my guess. *Or it will cost a lot for something
    you can do at home? If that was me, I'd have held off on the feeding so as not to have a negative impact on her digestion, but you should be able to contain** her with a
    very damp towel for a while...maybe in the cage where it's plenty warm, so she can "multi-task"- digest & clear the old shed off in peace- then help manually after all the
    old shed is moist & easily removed, if any is left. **By "contain her with towel" I mean in a smaller plastic 'critter cottage' that she can just fit comfortably in with towel.

Has the humidity in her cage been too low? This really sounds like a home/husbandry issue that you hopefully don't need a vet for?

As far as her recent meal, it should be mostly digested by now. You aren't still seeing a bulge, are you? For future reference, don't feed items that are
    larger than where they are going (her mid-body- stomach); slightly less in width is preferable.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-02-2019 at 12:31 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-02-2019)