Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,490

3 members and 1,487 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SD Retic

Thanks

Re: SD Retic

You guys are right about either it being a lap snake or a display snake and that it can’t really be both. Thanks, that really helped me make a decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to svtvenom For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Excellent response! The reason I said you "may be mistaken" was because I figured you mixed things up and just posted wrong.

No worries, I've made mistakes here and the fact you have the book, makes me fairly sure you are pretty well versed on the species.

Boas and carpets are 50-50 for me. I love both species and find the care requirements daily similar.

Unfortunately you had a rough go to start off with your carpet, however they tend to be a pretty easy keep.
    Thank you for understanding and giving me the benefit of the doubt.

I love both boas and carpets too. However, OP has a boa, I believe. Therefore, I would recommend a carpet.

Also. Zero issues with Yafe since he’s been healthy. However. The same goes for all my reptiles. Rarely does husbandry equate to problems as I am pretty meticulous.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    You guys are right about either it being a lap snake or a display snake and that it can’t really be both. Thanks, that really helped me make a decision!

And.........

what did you decide?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-28-2019)

Thanks

I decided I will stick with boas. UNLESS I see a dwarf version of this... then I’m definitely getting it . Are they even producing these in dwarf retics?

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    That's an albino goldenchild tiger retic. Both albino and tiger come from mainland populations and goldenchild (I believe) comes from dwarf populations. It would have to be heavily crossed with dwarf (or SD) lines to stay smaller. So you're probably sol for a while at least.
    For the Horde!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-28-2019),Gio (02-28-2019)

Thanks

That’s unfortunate . Are there any other morphs that are similar that come in dwarf that are yellow with the silver eyes?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    I decided I will stick with boas. UNLESS I see a dwarf version of this... then I’m definitely getting it . Are they even producing these in dwarf retics?

Sticking with boas or carpets isn't a bad idea. I actually find them easy and rewarding. My retic displays a bit better and is more fun to watch in the cage. But my boa and carpet are fairly active in the evening.

I wouldn't consider a dwarf retic small or anything "easy" to keep or handle. For instance, this is my SD x Dwarf X Mainland Tiger's spec sheet.

He doesn't have a huge percentage of SD or dwarf separately in his genes, but combined the dwarf and SD make him only 18% mainland. On paper he should be a smaller snake since he's male. The male/female sexual size dimorphism concept doesn't always apply or work out the way people imagine. There are male mainland animals that are 18 feet long.

Wallace will be 3 years old the first of June. As I stated earlier in the original post, he is larger than I was anticipating and I really would like to see his growth slow to a trickle soon.

This was a few months ago and he's grown since the photo surprisingly, longer and much thicker. While not huge or even big by retic standards, folks that are looking at SD X dwarf crosses should think hard about their potential size and plan for it.

I'd say by now Wallace is 9 to 10 feet. He's nice and lean and much larger than he is in these photos. I usually feed every 3 weeks and the meals are not larger than a large rat or quail. He still grows even with moderate feeding levels.

This is NOT a lap snake. He's very active, relatively strong and somewhat irritating to handle. I will let him go over my shoulders and the back of my neck occasionally but I don't like him up by my neck when I'm solo and I never let him get even a loose loop by my neck. I'm not small and I'm very capable of taking care of myself, but snakes don't always broadcast their intentions. A little slip, or a bout of nerves and they can tighten up quickly. It's something you have to be ready for.

He's not a bad snake, I'm just reiterating what others have said here about their activity levels and handling characteristics. They like to move generally and the larger they are the more involved the handling gets.

This is the latest photo I have of him. The cage is 6' wide 30" deep and 2' tall. He's wrapped and spread out on the top perch system so you can't really see his length.

If you have a passion for one of these go for it, but if you are on the fence stick with your boas, they are fantastic snakes.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-28-2019),jmcrook (02-28-2019),svtvenom (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Sticking with boas or carpets isn't a bad idea. I actually find them easy and rewarding. My retic displays a bit better and is more fun to watch in the cage. But my boa and carpet are fairly active in the evening.

I wouldn't consider a dwarf retic small or anything "easy" to keep or handle. For instance, this is my SD x Dwarf X Mainland Tiger's spec sheet.

He doesn't have a huge percentage of SD or dwarf separately in his genes, but combined the dwarf and SD make him only 18% mainland. On paper he should be a smaller snake since he's male. The male/female sexual size dimorphism concept doesn't always apply or work out the way people imagine. There are male mainland animals that are 18 feet long.

Wallace will be 3 years old the first of June. As I stated earlier in the original post, he is larger than I was anticipating and I really would like to see his growth slow to a trickle soon.

This was a few months ago and he's grown since the photo surprisingly, longer and much thicker. While not huge or even big by retic standards, folks that are looking at SD X dwarf crosses should think hard about their potential size and plan for it.

I'd say by now Wallace is 9 to 10 feet. He's nice and lean and much larger than he is in these photos. I usually feed every 3 weeks and the meals are not larger than a large rat or quail. He still grows even with moderate feeding levels.

This is NOT a lap snake. He's very active, relatively strong and somewhat irritating to handle. I will let him go over my shoulders and the back of my neck occasionally but I don't like him up by my neck when I'm solo and I never let him get even a loose loop by my neck. I'm not small and I'm very capable of taking care of myself, but snakes don't always broadcast their intentions. A little slip, or a bout of nerves and they can tighten up quickly. It's something you have to be ready for.

He's not a bad snake, I'm just reiterating what others have said here about their activity levels and handling characteristics. They like to move generally and the larger they are the more involved the handling gets.

This is the latest photo I have of him. The cage is 6' wide 30" deep and 2' tall. He's wrapped and spread out on the top perch system so you can't really see his length.

If you have a passion for one of these go for it, but if you are on the fence stick with your boas, they are fantastic snakes.
    Very well said, Gio!

I still have a deep appreciation for retics, but I must say mine were the combined equivalent of caring for probably a dozen boas. NOT a lap snake by any measure.

OP, I’d turn my back for two seconds cleaning cages and find the big girl (pure SD and still hit 10’ in under three years) tearing the blinds from the windows, knocking pictures off the wall, climbing my bookshelf... they’re an all attention all the time snake when handling. And don’t get me started about the amount of cleaning they required. Piss about every other day, would paint the walls with excrement, tear the cage apart regularly. Also, do some serious research into their “pushing” habits. NO. FUN. AT. ALL.

Amazing snakes, but I may have just been dealt the wrong hand in terms of high maintenance animals. I still love the species but for me, for now, I’m finding much more enjoyment from boas. Much more laid back so far, though my Argentine is a mouthy little thing when I first get her out hah!

I sincerely hope not to come across as discouraging. I just feel that folks interested in retics should know as much as possible, both good and bad, before taking the plunge. Cheers!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-28-2019),Gio (02-28-2019),svtvenom (02-28-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I sincerely hope not to come across as discouraging. I just feel that folks interested in retics should know as much as possible, both good and bad, before taking the plunge. Cheers!
    I really appreciate people sharing stories of the issues that can and do arise with retics because they ARE different than keeping other snakes and there are good and bad points to it. People should be aware of both sides and I'm glad that you and others here share all their stories and issues for people to read and learn from.

While not huge or even big by retic standards, folks that are looking at SD X dwarf crosses should think hard about their potential size and plan for it.
    Agreed. A 9' dwarf retic (still not full grown usually) is so much different than a 9' boa, while both are strong animals, the retic is really a handful. I'm hoping to get some size comparison photos of the ones here so people have an idea of the diff between adult female mainland, 50% dwarf and 75% SD.

ps Wallace is looking great!
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 02-28-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    For the Horde!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-28-2019),jmcrook (02-28-2019),svtvenom (02-28-2019)

Thanks

SD Retic

Thanks jmcrook, that really puts it into perspective. I can literally visualize myself cleaning the cage and turning about the blinds are ripped off my window . I love how my boa will just chill on my bed while I clean his cage. He’s actually really lazy and as long as he’s holding on to something he will usually stay in place. He does have his moments when he’s active but he literally exactly what I want temperament wise. I guess I’m just addicted to the look of retics and I am trying to tell myself that maybe he will magically turn out to be calm like my boa. I think I have made up my mind about not getting a retic even though they are beautiful. I don’t think I would enjoy holding a retic much and it would probably just be annoying. I might try to hold one at the next expo I go to. I have thought about it in the past but I don’t want to seem like I wasn’t interested in actually buying the animal and just wanting to hold it. Every time I see other people holding them they always seem to be trying to wrangle them compared to the people holding boas. I have also read about the pushing and that definitely doesn’t seem like fun. Ugh I couldn’t imagine cleaning the walls covered I feces. My boa is such a neat pooper lol. He always poops in the same spot and never sits near it.

Last edited by svtvenom; 02-28-2019 at 11:15 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svtvenom For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-01-2019),jmcrook (02-28-2019)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast