Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,493

2 members and 1,491 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Question Some feeding/growth questions

Hiya! Here again. I've got a wonderful ball and some questions.
    First off, he/she (unknown gender) is AMAZING at eating. Never refused a single meal. Bought him at 64 grams back in November, he's now sitting just bout 200 grams. Took his first rat pup (26g) from adult mice (18-20g) absolutely no problem. Took it like a champ, and he's in shed.
    His age is unknown. I didnt buy him from a breeder, it was an incredibly impulse buy from a pet shop, so I know just about nothing about him. With how small he was when i first got him, I'm assuming he was just a baby.
    Is his weight gain and growth okay? Is it slow? Is it too quick? I think I'm feeding him correctly, as hes been growing so fast and taking meals no problem. He's shed twice (almost thrice) with us, is that average over 4 months?
    Thank you! I just want to make sure he's doing alright and he is meeting milestones. He is a spider BP (Which I was told from peers, employees, and from my own research. He was sold to me as a single-gene cinnamon but i knew it wasn't right) and I know the morph has issues (again, impulse buy, I shouldn't have but I tend to do that) so i just want to make sure he is alright. A vet checkup just to make sure everything is okay and he has no issues will be in the near future, we will get him sexed then.
    Apologies for saying 'him' a lot. Again, no gender yet.

Thanks

Re: Some feeding/growth questions

There aren’t really milestones when looking at ball python growth. There is too much at play. You have both environmental and genetic factors to consider. Environmental would be how often you feed and what size prey animal. Genetics also determines how fast an animal will grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

Thanks
    Apologies! I'm feeding them once a week, he's taken 14 meals with me now, i believe. Every Monday since the 26th of November!

Thanks

Some feeding/growth questions

Quote Originally Posted by Onixiotion View Post
    Apologies! I'm feeding them once a week, he's taken 14 meals with me now, i believe. Every Monday since the 26th of November!
    I think you’re feeding appropriately. You still can’t really set milestones though because of the genetics factor. Some snakes will grow faster even when fed the same amount at the same frequency due to how fast/slow their parents grew.

The only way to really tell if your BP is at a healthy weight is to post a picture and look at his body condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jcd5v; 02-25-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa