Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

1 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by e_nigma View Post
    They are not a regularly swimming species and from what I have read soaking can be stressful for BPs, but I would rather have someone else vouch for that.

Retained eyecaps are awful, one of the few times I have soaked her is when she had retained eyecaps, as I do not want to use tweezers or tape to try and remove them, risk to the snake is too great. So I set her to soak and it certainly helped.

Hard part with soaking is keeping the water warm and not letting it cool off or be too hot.

I prefer humid hides, though with my BPs dislike of sphagnum moss humid hide use is my real issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    They are fine being soaked ... sure they obviously try every nook and corner to find an exit but after a minute or so they calm right down.

Anyways I’m pretty sure all snakes can swim ..plus they can hold their breathe for absolutely ages, apparently.

Anyways I’m not suggesting deep water but certainly more than half their height .

You can use a sealed tub with air holes and cover with a towel to keep them calm .. place on their viv / rub to keep them warm .. for 20 minutes or so ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (02-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    They are fine being soaked ... sure they obviously try every nook and corner to find an exit but after a minute or so they calm right down.

Anyways I’m pretty sure all snakes can swim ..plus they can hold their breathe for absolutely ages, apparently.

Anyways I’m not suggesting deep water but certainly more than half their height .

You can use a sealed tub with air holes and cover with a towel to keep them calm .. place on their viv / rub to keep them warm .. for 20 minutes or so ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Considering they seem to only soak when they have mites, overheating, or other negative conditions, I perhaps wrongly assumed that soaking is not a normal part of their ritual, thus soaking is more or a stress to them.

I am not trying to discount what you are saying, and in fact have soaked my BP, I merely wanted to convey some of what I have read and my own experiences.

Letting them run through a towel and letting them soak are both things I have utilized, however, it is not my go to if husbandry is all where it needs to be, as you have said when the shed is neither complete or is just awful.

I hope that I did not come across as rude and certainly am not trying to be contradictory.

*Edit: My apologies for chiming in, I somehow misread the main thread and I was specifically talking of BPs and that is not the main topic here, apologies.
    Last edited by e_nigma; 02-28-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    What stresses most snakes about soaking is (1) the unusual circumstances- doing something they aren't used to & didn't enter on their own, & (2) the loss of
    traction- bathtubs are slippery-smooth & that unnerves most snakes...even mud puddles have texture.

A towel in the water is one of many options...

FYI, it's been a long time since I've had any stuck eye-caps to deal with, but once the snake is well-hydrated (from soaking, etc) & then dry, I have used a bit
    of tape (package tape, not duct tape!) to gently stick to the eye-cap & remove it...it's much safer than trying to use fingers or tweezers in such a delicate
    area. Not promising that several layers of eye-caps will come off easily, but using a bit of tape is pretty innocuous to try, IMO. It's a challenge to restrain any
    snake while you do this...a second person to help handle really helps.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (02-28-2019),paulh (02-28-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've never seen a snake with that many retained eyecaps, so I'd love to see pictures. I have heard of cases with more retained eyecaps that came off perfectly, with no later complications. And I've removed my share of single retained eyecaps, including once from a dehydrated cenchria. So I am optimistic.

How long is the snake? Longer (up to 1 meter long) means the snake is easier to work with. Over 1 meter just means an assistant is needed.

Cenchria are swamp snakes, so a long period of high humidity is not as bad for the snake as it could be for snakes from drier areas.

There is a lot of good information in these posts. Mostly what I write below is putting it all together in one spot.

At this stage, I would do nothing except keep the humidity high and feed the snake. When the snake sheds again, I would check to see if the eyecaps came off. That would be as soon as possible after the shed. If the eyecaps did not come off, then soak the snake in a plastic box with water approximately half as deep as the snake's height at midbody. Water temperature should be around 30C. I usually soak for about an hour. The water cools during that period, but the time is too short for it to be a real problem. Every 3-5 minutes I tilt the box to cover the snake's head with water, or gently push the snake's head under the water, if necessary. After time is up, I gently press a rough, wet cloth rag or towel across the eyecap and wipe across the eye from nose toward tail until the eyecap comes off.

Good luck.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2019),e_nigma (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Also, I think permanent damage to the eye can also appear to be removable eye-caps? Like where it's thickened & crinkled from poor conditions, long-term.
    That's why you never want to be aggressive about trying to remove "eye-caps" that seem to have failed to shed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Also, I think permanent damage to the eye can also appear to be removable eye-caps? Like where it's thickened & crinkled from poor conditions, long-term.
    That's why you never want to be aggressive about trying to remove "eye-caps" that seem to have failed to shed.
    I have seen my BP have a dent in her eye, when her retained caps came off, the dent was gone, it seemed to be predominantly a humidity issue. Granted, again, I am referencing a python in a boa thread.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to e_nigma For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019)

Thanks
    I adopted a snake once with stuck shed and I just kept the humidity up and waited for him to shed and it all went perfect. Just my two cents. If it still doesn’t work then I’d try other measures

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (04-02-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I adopted a snake with stuck shed and I just kept the humidity up and waited for her to shed and it all went perfect. Just my two cents. If it still doesn’t work then I’d try other measures
    I filled her hides with wet sphagnom moss when I see my BP's belly go pink or her eyes go foggy. It took near a year for a perfect sher after a partial shed rescue! Wet moss in the hides saved the day, but my BP hates sphagnum moss so I have to remove it post shed.

Last edited by e_nigma; 04-02-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12