Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,448

1 members and 1,447 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Thanks

Exclamation Help!

Yesterday a cenchria in poor condition was brought to me. How to remove old skin from his eyes? Its like 3-4 layers and only on the his eyes. I tried to use special eye drops with carbomer but it doesnt help. What else can I try? Eyes look very bad.

Ps. Sorry for my bad english
    Yesterday a boa in poor condition was brought to me. How to remove old skin from his eyes

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Where are you located?

Hydration is the first step. I would focus on keeping it in a very humid environment, and if it eats frozen/thaw feeders then offer the feeders wet so the boa ingests extra water.

Thanks

Re: Help!

Now the snake is sitting in a small container to make it easier to retain humidity. Here is 80-90%. But still doesnt help. I'll send pics w his eyes later.
    Now the snake is sitting in a small container to make it easier to retain moisture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Where are you located?

Hydration is the first step. I would focus on keeping it in a very humid environment, and if it eats frozen/thaw feeders then offer the feeders wet so the boa ingests extra water.
    Im from Moscow region, Russia.

The snake is sitting in a small container to make it easier to retain humidity. Its like 70-80% but still doesnt help.

Thanks
    It takes some time, if the shed isn't coming loose on its own, then the best thing you can do is keep the snake hydrated and on its next natural shed, the stuck shed should come off too. You don't want to force the shed off, it could hurt the snake.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sufficio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2019),e_nigma (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sufficio View Post
    It takes some time, if the shed isn't coming loose on its own, then the best thing you can do is keep the snake hydrated and on its next natural shed, the stuck shed should come off too. You don't want to force the shed off, it could hurt the snake.
    Agree! ^ ^ ^ You can damage the eyes...I've heard of people accidentally removing more than just the old sheds & injuring the eyes. I know one member here took
    her snake to an experienced herp vet to deal with this problem, but I don't know if you are lucky enough to have a skilled vet where you are? First keep trying the extra
    hydration...giving the snake a "humid hide" may help too. You don't want to blind the snake by being too aggressive about removing old shed from the eyes, and you
    could also introduce an infection, which would make the snake even worse off than doing nothing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGirl View Post
    Yesterday a cenchria in poor condition was brought to me. How to remove old skin from his eyes? Its like 3-4 layers and only on the his eyes. I tried to use special eye drops with carbomer but it doesnt help. What else can I try? Eyes look very bad.

Ps. Sorry for my bad english
    Yesterday a boa in poor condition was brought to me. How to remove old skin from his eyes
    This works ..

Soak for a short while but don’t leave it unattended ... then have a wet / very damp rough textured towel ready and wrap the snake up in it — let it slither around and apply very , very gentle pressure around the HEAD region in particular... the retained eye caps will come off onto the towel ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (02-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    This works ..

Soak for a short while but don’t leave it unattended ... then have a wet / very damp rough textured towel ready and wrap the snake up in it — let it slither around and apply very , very gentle pressure around the HEAD region in particular... the retained eye caps will come off onto the towel ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do not forget that you want to soak them in a shallow amount of water, roughly half the heighth of the body, they should not be swimming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to e_nigma For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by e_nigma View Post
    Do not forget that you want to soak them in a shallow amount of water, roughly half the heighth of the body, they should not be swimming.

Mmmmm that’s about 1/2 “ ??

It’s vital to get the eyes wet though .. maybe a little deeper .. after all they’re not gonna drown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (02-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Mmmmm that’s about 1/2 “ ??

It’s vital to get the eyes wet though .. maybe a little deeper .. after all they’re not gonna drown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    They are not a regularly swimming species and from what I have read soaking can be stressful for BPs, but I would rather have someone else vouch for that.

Retained eyecaps are awful, one of the few times I have soaked her is when she had retained eyecaps, as I do not want to use tweezers or tape to try and remove them, risk to the snake is too great. So I set her to soak and it certainly helped.

Hard part with soaking is keeping the water warm and not letting it cool off or be too hot.

I prefer humid hides, though with my BPs dislike of sphagnum moss humid hide use is my real issue.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast