Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

2 members and 2,869 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New snake!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New snake!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I know what you mean...a little shy but always NOSY. I'm sure that the home you've made for her is way more than she's used to, so this is like Christmas
    morning for her...

She might also be hungry...& btw, you said she's a year old, but still only eating pinkies? A yearling should be eating fuzzies, unless she was somewhat underfed
    & is smaller than she'd otherwise be. Do pinkies appear to be the right size for her?
    The pinkies are about the same size as her largest circumference, & they couldn't remember her exact hatch date but they said almost a year old. She seems really tiny though, I want to believe she was just a fussy eater but maybe she was underfed

Also, she pooped (possibly peed?) for the first time with me today and it looks really weird to me? Like runny light orange with light yellow hard dry spots. I took a few pictures before throwing it out but didn't want to just spring those on here unprompted. Is this something I should be worried about? The poor baby, I really hope she's not sick

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    The pinkies are about the same size as her largest circumference, & they couldn't remember her exact hatch date but they said almost a year old. She seems really tiny though, I want to believe she was just a fussy eater but maybe she was underfed

Also, she pooped (possibly peed?) for the first time with me today and it looks really weird to me? Like runny light orange with light yellow hard dry spots. I took a few pictures before throwing it out but didn't want to just spring those on here unprompted. Is this something I should be worried about? The poor baby, I really hope she's not sick

Some sellers do "maintenance feeding" (ie. feeding the minimal amount for a snake to remain alive, so they don't grow, or out-grow their minimal caging & deli-cup to sell).
    It's also possible that she was a fussy feeder...time will tell, I guess. (-so you didn't get a feeding record or hatch date from this seller? )

Please do post the pics you took...we don't all describe colors the same way, & while yellow is normal, orange is not. Any doubt, save it for a vet.
    (I know the colors were discussed here but I don't recall what thread & what orange means in snake poo...but you don't want to see red either-
    for obvious reasons- possible bleeding- and since yellow + red = orange, maybe that was the concern with orange poo?)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-27-2019 at 12:22 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-27-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Some sellers do "maintenance feeding" (ie. feeding the minimal amount for a snake to remain alive, so they don't grow, or out-grow their minimal caging & deli-cup to sell).
    It's also possible that she was a fussy feeder...time will tell, I guess. (-so you didn't get a feeding record or hatch date from this seller? )

Please do post the pics you took...we don't all describe colors the same way, & while yellow is normal, orange is not. Any doubt, save it for a vet.
    I didn't get a feeding record or hatch date, I'm so bad at shows, they're so overwhelming I forget to ask important stuff, I think my next snake might have to be ordered online. Like I said in the original post it seemed like a big operation so the guy who sold her to me wasn't the one who raised her, I probably should have waited until one of the other people were free to talk to, but I unfortunately didn't think of that at the time

Here's a picture, in real life the lighter bits looked almost powdery & the rest was wet, also the picture makes it look really big, it was about 1/2" in diameter & flat against the paper towel

Thanks

I didn't get a feeding record or hatch date, I'm so bad at shows, they're so overwhelming I forget to ask important stuff, I think my next snake might have to be ordered online. Like I said in the original post it seemed like a big operation so the guy who sold her to me wasn't the one who raised her, I probably should have waited until one of the other people were free to talk to, but I unfortunately didn't think of that at the time

Here's a picture, in real life the lighter bits looked almost powdery & the rest was wet, also the picture makes it look really big, it was about 1/2" in diameter & flat against the paper towel

I wouldn't call that orange...just looks like she hasn't eaten in a while. I wouldn't worry......see what it looks like after she's eating for you.
    BTW, the "light yellow hard spots" are just normal urates...they can vary quite a bit, from white to gray/bluish to yellowish, even greenish, all are OK.
    The darker colors in there (above) are probably just a tiny bit of stool residue. I'd say she needs food...

I know the excitement of finding a snake you want & buying before someone else does sorta takes over your focus...expos are a challenge for buying, especially if busy.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-27-2019 at 12:57 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-27-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I wouldn't call that orange...just looks like she hasn't eaten in a while. I wouldn't worry......see what it looks like after she's eating for you.
    BTW, the "light yellow hard spots" are just normal urates...they can vary quite a bit, from white to gray/bluish to yellowish, even greenish, all are OK.
    The darker colors in there (above) are probably just a tiny bit of stool residue. I'd say she needs food...

I know the excitement of finding a snake you want & buying before someone else does sorta takes over your focus...expos are a challenge for buying, especially if busy.
    Oh man that's a relief lol, it just looked so different from what I was expecting & I kinda freaked out for a bit there. Do you think I should I still wait to feed her on saturday?

Thanks
    If she seems comfortable, cruising the cage, I'd offer her a pinky now. No handling of course...see how it goes. (She wasn't shipped, so that's a big help.)
    I really do think she's hungry & has been underfed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-27-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If she seems comfortable, cruising the cage, I'd offer her a pinky now. No handling of course...see how it goes. (She wasn't shipped, so that's a big help.)
    I really do think she's hungry & has been underfed.
    Okay, she definitely seems like she's getting more comfortable so I'll offer a pinkie later tonight so the lights can be dim, tonight's also my bp's feeding night so it kinda works out well.
    How should I offer it? Should I wait until she's in a hide or does it not matter?

Thanks

Okay, she definitely seems like she's getting more comfortable so I'll offer a pinkie later tonight so the lights can be dim, tonight's also my bp's feeding night so it kinda works out well.
    How should I offer it? Should I wait until she's in a hide or does it not matter?

Use tongs...shouldn't matter where she is...slight wiggle of the prey, going "past" (away from) her (not AT her); to get more response to f/t pinkie, squeeze the nose
    with tongs to damage slightly, that will release more scent. I have a gut feeling that you won't need to do this, but just in case.

But if, when you're ready to feed her, she is hiding, or if she won't take the pinkie from tongs, just leave it nearby for her to find
    when you're not there...just in case she is that shy. (leave pinkie on a flat piece of cardboard or jar lid or similar thing so she won't
    ingest substrate with it)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-27-2019 at 01:15 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-27-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Use tongs...shouldn't matter where she is...slight wiggle of the prey, going "past" (away from) her (not AT her); to get more response to f/t pinkie, squeeze the nose
    with tongs to damage slightly, that will release more scent. I have a gut feeling that you won't need to do this, but just in case.
    Okay, thank you! it's gonna be nice not having to heat it up hah. I'll try feeding her tonight & keep you updated

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2019)

Thanks
    Your only disadvantage is not knowing what the previous owner (breeder) did with her. These normally progress pretty boldly to taking f/t food from tongs.

My most "recent" pair was shipped to me & fed openly by the 3rd feeding. The first time I offered food, they were in their hides & I made sure the scent wafted
    into their hides, then left them just outside...they were taken quickly. The next time, they had to come all the way out for food, & by the 3rd time, they took it
    from tongs. But mine were "just out of the egg" hatchlings, while yours is a "year" old. Hopefully yours wasn't fed only live, would have been nice to know.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-27-2019 at 01:35 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-27-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123