Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

1 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Couple questions about my young red tail

(links to her pics at the bottom
    )

Hi everyone! This isy first post here. I asked these questions on the snakes Reddit but only got a few replies, so I'd figured I try this place. Bc this sit site seems more active and full of knowledgeable people.

So I've always wanted a red tail boa ever since I was 8. Seen a 7-8 footer in a pet store and ever since that it's been my "dream snake" lol. So about 3 weeks ago I finally bought one. Owners said she's a female. And is still young but don't know how old.
    So my questions are

1. The owners said she was feeding on 1 weanling mouse every 14 days. The ppl at Petco and the ppl on Reddit said that was not ok for a snake her size. Said she should get a adult mouse every ten days so every ten days since then I've gave her a adult mouse. Am I doing the right thing?

2. I know it's hard to tell for sure, but based on her size how old would you estimate she is? (Just a ball park)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    http://imgur.com/gallery/y16Zap0 link to pics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: Couple questions about my young red tail

It’s difficult to estimate age with snakes because there are so many variables: size at birth, size of prey and frequency of feeding, how quickly after birth he/she started feeding, and genetics just to name the main ones. Looking at your picture, a pure guess is a few months old.

Boas do not have the metabolism of some other species, such as ball pythons or rats snakes, that can handle a lot of over feeding. Slow and steady is the game with them. It has been many years since I had baby or juvenile boas, but I fed one prey item that was about the same width as the thickest part of the snake once per week for the first year to year and a half. I’d say an adult mouse (or rat pup if you want to switch now) looks appropriate based on the photo.

After the year to year and a half mark, I changed the boas feeding schedule to every 2 weeks. My mature adult boas typically received one appropriately sized prey item every 2-3 weeks. I only have one female left now, her name is Duncan. She is 26 and is fed one extra large rat on this schedule and is doing very well.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-24-2019),fadingdaylight (05-21-2019),Selvis (02-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Boas, like most snakes, will eat themselves to obesity and death if you let them. It's way too easy to overfeed them.

When you feed the weanling mouse (more often called a hopper) is there a noticeable lump in her tummy? How about when you feed the adult mouse?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Selvis (02-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    It’s difficult to estimate age with snakes because there are so many variables: size at birth, size of prey and frequency of feeding, how quickly after birth he/she started feeding, and genetics just to name the main ones. Looking at your picture, a pure guess is a few months old.

Boas do not have the metabolism of some other species, such as ball pythons or rats snakes, that can handle a lot of over feeding. Slow and steady is the game with them. It has been many years since I had baby or juvenile boas, but I fed one prey item that was about the same width as the thickest part of the snake once per week for the first year to year and a half. I’d say an adult mouse (or rat pup if you want to switch now) looks appropriate based on the photo.

After the year to year and a half mark, I changed the boas feeding schedule to every 2 weeks. My mature adult boas typically received one appropriately sized prey item every 2-3 weeks. I only have one female left now, her name is Duncan. She is 26 and is fed one extra large rat on this schedule and is doing very well.
    Thanks for the reply! So it's probably safe to stick with an adult mouse every 7-10 days for now?

Thanks

Yours looks to be about the same size as mine. He’s currently feeding on the size right below adult. Although mice aren’t the best option for these guys so I ordered some size appropriate rats. As far as size of the prey item, follow the general guideline. Feed her a rodent about the same size as her largest girth.

Hopefully this will help you. Head over to the red tail forum on Tapatalk and they have an awesome free guide for download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Selvis (02-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Boas, like most snakes, will eat themselves to obesity and death if you let them. It's way too easy to overfeed them.

When you feed the weanling mouse (more often called a hopper) is there a noticeable lump in her tummy? How about when you feed the adult mouse?
    Thanks for the reply! And I fed her a hopper once, she ate him really fast. And after that I didn't notice any bulge.
    With the adult mice it takes her longer to eat and TBH I never noticed a bulge. But most of the time she's either burrowing or under her hide especially after a meal. But fr what I did see of her there wasn't a bulge. But next time I feed her I'll be sure to get a good look at her and maybe take a pic just to be sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Selvis View Post
    Thanks for the reply! So it's probably safe to stick with an adult mouse every 7-10 days for now?
    I think an adult mouse every 7-10 days is fine for the juveniles, just keep an eye on the prey size vs width of the snake so you know when to move up in size. I’ve never had any issues with switching my boas from mice to rats or over to frozen thawed from live...they have all been garbage disposals when it comes to food.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-24-2019),Selvis (02-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Yours looks to be about the same size as mine. He’s currently feeding on the size right below adult. Although mice aren’t the best option for these guys so I ordered some size appropriate rats. As far as size of the prey item, follow the general guideline. Feed her a rodent about the same size as her largest girth.

Hopefully this will help you. Head over to the red tail forum on Tapatalk and they have an awesome free guide for download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice! Do I just download that taptalk app to view that forum?

And next time I'll make sure to see if the mouse is the size of her largest girth. Is there a Best way to do this? I'm assuming I just have to eyeball it?

And I'll look into rats as well. Also I've been feeding live prey. I'd prefer tp feed thawed but the previous owner said once you feed them live you can't switch to pre killed. Has this been the case in your experience?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I think an adult mouse every 7-10 days is fine for the juveniles, just keep an eye on the prey size vs width of the snake so you know when to move up in size. I’ve never had any issues with switching my boas from mice to rats or over to frozen thawed from live...they have all been garbage disposals when it comes to food.
    Oh okay. That's good to know. Was a little worried about that
    And maybe I will try to see if she LL eat a frozen mouse next time. I've never really liked feeding live but thought it was my only option. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes

Thanks
    I also had a few more questions

I've noticed the last week the cool end of the tanks temp has dropped from 75 to around 70. The first few weeks it stayed right around 75/76. Nothing has changed in my house and my room is actually very warm. Not sure what's up .

I bought the cheap thermometer from Petco which was like 8 dollars. This payday I'm going to buy a better one just to see if maybe the readings are in accurate.

But if it's not a problem with that what would be a good step to take? Buy a heat mat? Get a thermostat?

Also I noticed the warm end is only like 81/82. I'm just using the heat lamp that the other owners gave me. Should I look into another lamp? And if so is there any recommendations?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast