Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,459

2 members and 2,457 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Incubator 101 feat. Never ending questions...

Once I think I’ve got my incubator stabilized then something likes to go off -_-

1. if other egg boxes (sealed) within the incubator that I’ve seen successful breeders use had condensation on the sides/ so did their incubator as a whole yet my overall humidity of the incubator definitely has singnificant lower humidity than the 99% measured in the egg box... should I be concerned there is no condensation in the egg box despite the use of a well reviewed hygrometer and accurate reading?

2. What is the downfall of placing eggs into the substrate (vermiculite) as opposed to placing them on top of the egg crate

Idk at what point of this I’m overthinking it but man it’s tiring
    Last edited by timeakinga; 02-20-2019 at 12:06 AM.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Incubator 101 feat. Never ending questions...

If your egg boxes are sealed then humidity should not be escaping into the incubator unless you open them: The humidity inside the incubator itself is irrelevant.

Condensation is due to a difference in the temperatures of the air. If the air temperature does not change then there will be no condensation. Condensation usually forms inside my incubator/egg boxes when I first load eggs or do an egg check/air exchange. To limit the initial burst of condensation when I add eggs to my boxes: I pre-heat my distilled water in gallons inside my incubators.

The disadvantage of putting eggs directly into moist substrate is that eggs are porous and can absorb water--there is the potential the developing embryo can drown if the substrate is too wet. Substrate in contact with the egg also has the potential to provide an anaerobic foothold for mold/fungus spores to grow. It is still a reliable method if done correctly.
    *.* TNTC

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1 Condensation is expected to a degree and there will be more of it towards the end of incubation.

The key here is to make sure that the condensation on the top (if any) is minimal and does not drip on the egg.

2/ Subtrateless method is really bullet proof, putting your egg in the substrate can too if done right (key here is if done right).

If not done right people will either experience eggs that are too wet (which in this case are hard to salvage) or eggs that are too dry. (We see a few of those every year on the forum)
    Deborah Stewart