Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,699

1 members and 2,698 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I proposed right before we went to dinner. She started to cry. And continued to cry as we went to dinner, and through most of dinner. At one point the manager, cook, waiters and busboys were all giving me dirty looks like I was abusing her. She was crying because she has most her family in Mexico. Just her brother and her became citizens. When the staff found out why she was crying, that felt bad for me. Before that they were getting ready to lynch me. It took five days to get an answer. That was some twenty years ago.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (02-20-2019)

Thanks
    i got proposed to with a taco bell hot sauce packet "Will You Marry Me?" during a picnic where we went on our first date.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-11-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: How Did Your Proposal Go?

On our third date I saw a little toy vending machine outside the restaurant. I bought a little plastic gold 'Bling' ring for 50 cents. She asked why: I told her that some day I would use that ring to propose to her.

12 years later we were on the top of Mount Washington in a terrible thunder-snowstorm (in August). We had sprinted into the summit base just as the storm intensified. Lightning flashed. The ground rumbled. The wind howled. The building shuddered. It was a whiteout with the wrath of God included. We were soaked from the storm and between the cold and our wet clothes we were freezing to death (literally). We took off as many layers as we could (and still remain decent) and threw them on the chairs in the cafeteria to dry. I was shivering so bad that I dropped my vest and that ring fell out of my inner pocket (still in its original bubble container). She spotted it rolling towards her feet and picked it up off the floor.
    'You still have this after 12 years?' she asked in shock. I told her I had lost it that year when I was in a car accident. I lied.
    "Yeah, guess I never found the right time did I?"
    'So are you going to propose or what?' she demanded scowling. Then suddenly it went from just me and her---to a big bunch of sweaty sasquatches wearing LL Bean and North Face jackets crowding in around us. Damn eavesdroppers...not a private moment left unshared...
    "OK fine...So, what do you say? We doing this 'Thing' or what?" I asked.
    She took my ring out of the bubble container, walked over to the window, held it up with two fingers to look through the center dramatically-lost deep in thought. The other hikers were on the edge of their hairy seats with their beady eyes glinting (either from excitement or frostbite)...at which time my girlfriend with one swift motion shoved the ring into the trash container beside her and walked away without hesitation. The final resting place of my ring after 12 years was now determined to be next to low quality half-eaten grilled cheese sandwiches and undercooked french fries at a mountaintop rest stop. The pained look of sympathy on the faces of the nosey strangers was priceless.
    At which point I smiled: "You just made me the happiest man on Earth" I said ensuring my voice was loud enough for everyone to hear. At which point they all started to 'Booo'...
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-11-2019)

Thanks

So, my wife, Vesna, is Russian. We met when I was living in Moscow from 2003-2006. I worked as an English as a Second Language teacher, and she was my student, that's how we met. (Not nearly as skivvy as that sounds. These were adult classes and she's actually 3 years older than me).

We'd been dating and living together for a few years and I'd already decided that I wanted to marry her but hadn't really worked through how to ask.

So May 9, 2005, was the anniversary of the German surrender in WW2. It's a huge celebration in Russia every year, but especially that year as it was the 60th anniversary. G. W. Bush was going to be there as was Tony Blair, and a number of other world leaders. There were events all over the city, but focused on certain locations significant to the date with everything to culminate in a huge parade on Red Square and a city wide fireworks display.

You need to understand that Moscow is vast. At the time there were 12 million people (at least) and it would take about an hour by train to cross the city, end to end. It's a big place.

With so much going on and so much to see, Vesna and I decided to get an early start. The logical place to begin was a place called Victory Park, which is enormous, dedicated to the War, and is kind of on the edge of the city. That is where the opening ceremony was to begin, with a concert and speakers, whole big thing. We figured that we'd move from there to another location and end up in Red Square to wave at Putin and watch the tanks. I've always been a total sucker for that good old fashioned Soviet-type experience.

Well, the Russian government was very clever in how they pulled this off. The whole thing was just a big trap to catch as many people as possible and keep them away from the city center as a crowd control scheme. Everyone went to Victory Park first, as that was the beginning, and big enough to hold literally millions of people. Once there, the police threw up an armed cordon and wouldn't let anyone leave for any reason. Russian police are not the type of people you argue with. Once in Victory Park you were trapped there until after all the celebrations had concluded. I understand this was the case at all the various celebration locations except Red Square, which you could leave. I heard an estimate that there were over 2 million people in Victory Park that day. Looking at the crowd, I believed it.

Vesna and I got there early and after a while were at somewhat of a loss of how to spend the time. We were stuck outside in this huge mob, hemmed in back armed guards, and with nothing to do. Eventually, conversation trailed off and we got bored. It was still early, and we were both really bored. So, more to keep things interesting than any other reason, I blurted out to Vensa, "So you wanna get married sometime?" That did the trick and revitalized conversation.

Since we're still married, what 14 years later, I think things worked out well.

Long story and a little anti-climactic, but I though it was different enough to merit telling.

Now the wedding, that was a whole other thing.....
    \m/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (03-11-2019),Lord Sorril (03-11-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Oh, and as an addendum to my previous post. As far as my gf knows the ring was destroyed...heheh...

*.* TNTC

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (03-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    i got proposed to with a taco bell hot sauce packet "Will You Marry Me?" during a picnic where we went on our first date.
    that's awesomesauce!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    On our third date I saw a little toy vending machine outside the restaurant. I bought a little plastic gold 'Bling' ring for 50 cents. She asked why: I told her that some day I would use that ring to propose to her.

12 years later we were on the top of Mount Washington in a terrible thunder-snowstorm (in August). We had sprinted into the summit base just as the storm intensified. Lightning flashed. The ground rumbled. The wind howled. The building shuddered. It was a whiteout with the wrath of God included. We were soaked from the storm and between the cold and our wet clothes we were freezing to death (literally). We took off as many layers as we could (and still remain decent) and threw them on the chairs in the cafeteria to dry. I was shivering so bad that I dropped my vest and that ring fell out of my inner pocket (still in its original bubble container). She spotted it rolling towards her feet and picked it up off the floor.
    'You still have this after 12 years?' she asked in shock. I told her I had lost it that year when I was in a car accident. I lied.
    "Yeah, guess I never found the right time did I?"
    'So are you going to propose or what?' she demanded scowling. Then suddenly it went from just me and her---to a big bunch of sweaty sasquatches wearing LL Bean and North Face jackets crowding in around us. Damn eavesdroppers...not a private moment left unshared...
    "OK fine...So, what do you say? We doing this 'Thing' or what?" I asked.
    She took my ring out of the bubble container, walked over to the window, held it up with two fingers to look through the center dramatically-lost deep in thought. The other hikers were on the edge of their hairy seats with their beady eyes glinting (either from excitement or frostbite)...at which time my girlfriend with one swift motion shoved the ring into the trash container beside her and walked away without hesitation. The final resting place of my ring after 12 years was now determined to be next to low quality half-eaten grilled cheese sandwiches and undercooked french fries at a mountaintop rest stop. The pained look of sympathy on the faces of the nosey strangers was priceless.
    At which point I smiled: "You just made me the happiest man on Earth" I said ensuring my voice was loud enough for everyone to hear. At which point they all started to 'Booo'...
    Boooooooo!!!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12