Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,058

1 members and 3,057 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Leviathan Progress Thread

Handling is going well, he’s really calmed down. I’m learning to read him a bit better, and today I let him go beyond my forearms to explore my shoulders a bit.

Anyone have a clue about this tongue flick? It’s as far as I see him stick it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JTC; 03-28-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added pic
    Purple Sunfire Retic 1.0, Goldenchild Tiger Retic 1.0,
    Normal BP 1.0, Super Mojave BP 0.1, Anery Cornsnake 1.0, Scaleless Okeetee Cornsnake 1.0, Florida King
    BRB 0.2, Motley Bci 1.0,
    Northern White Lipped Pythons 1.1

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JTC For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-28-2019)

Thanks
    Beautiful noodle!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

JTC (03-28-2019)

Thanks

Re: Leviathan Progress Thread

Normal BP 1.0, Super Mojave BP 0.1, Anery Cornsnake 1.0, Scaleless Okeetee Cornsnake 1.0, Florida King
    BRB 0.2, Motley Bci 1.0,

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JTC For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-31-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Very nice retic!

Tap training is very easy to train in snakes: it has little to do with training, and more to do with breaking their feeding response. It's easy for snakes (aside from especially stubborn ones) to pick up on tap "training" because it's unusual for prey items to just come up in their business and start messing with them. If you tap them differently than you feed, it's as simple as your actions just being unexpected. Makes them stop and think, and from there it's easy to get them to realize you aren't food.

At times, you may need to take longer with the hook to get them to break their feeding response, and as he gets bigger imo it becomes ever more important to ensure you've broken their feeding response. A 4' baby biting you is one thing, a 10'+ retic is another thing, and a full grown retic bite could be fatal.

I also agree: feed every 7 days. There is not a single (healthy) rodent-eating snake I can think of that I'd feed more often than that.

Quote Originally Posted by JTC View Post
    Good call, his next meal will be a weaned rat!

General retic question for anyone- since I've had him, his tongue flicks are short, as in just sticking out the forked portion of his tongue. They aren't quick or fast, he just doesn't stick his tongue out all the way. Is this an individual behavior that's somewhat normal, or is it a stress indicator? When he's doing it, there aren't any other signs of anxiety or stress.
    It's normal, just picking up scent particles. I personally assume it's either because they don't feel a real pressing need to be aware of their situation. I see this a lot in my boa constrictors when they're just laying there asleep and I come up to them. Slow, steady movements get the tongue tips, bigger/quicker movements get full on tongue flicks.

Has he ever stuck out his tongue more at all? Could also be a deformity if he physically can't extend his tongue.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

JTC (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Tap training is coming along well, it’s clear when that response is gone. You’re right- sometimes it takes longer.

I’ve gone to giving him a weaned rat once a week, and that seems to be working well!

As far as the tongue, I’ve never seen him do anything else, so you could be right. He isn’t dehydrated or stressed, and seems completely normal besides that!

BRB 0.2, Motley Bci 1.0,

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTC For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-02-2019),CloudtheBoa (04-05-2019)

Thanks

Something interesting happened last night-

Most of the enclosures I’ve ordered are from Animal Plastics, with Pro Products RHPs. However, I currently have Leviathan in a PVC enclosure made by Recoil Reptiles. It came with an RHP from VE. The VE has a plug for the cord in the RHP itself- the cord is removable. Leviathan, being the explorer he is, somehow unplugged his RHP last night after I went to bed, and when I checked on him this morning, his cage was 74 degrees. Not the end of the world by any means, but still concerning, especially given that I sometimes leave town for the weekend.

I just thought I’d share this- the ProHeat RHPs can’t be unplugged from inside the enclosure... and I’ll be ordering another soon to replace this VE panel.

BRB 0.2, Motley Bci 1.0,

Thanks

Something interesting happened last night-

Most of the enclosures I’ve ordered are from Animal Plastics, with Pro Products RHPs. However, I currently have Leviathan in a PVC enclosure made by Recoil Reptiles. It came with an RHP from VE. The VE has a plug for the cord in the RHP itself- the cord is removable. Leviathan, being the explorer he is, somehow unplugged his RHP last night after I went to bed, and when I checked on him this morning, his cage was 74 degrees. Not the end of the world by any means, but still concerning, especially given that I sometimes leave town for the weekend.

I just thought I’d share this- the ProHeat RHPs can’t be unplugged from inside the enclosure... and I’ll be ordering another soon to replace this VE panel.

How was it able to be unplugged?

I have the cords to my RHPs threaded up through the top right at the base of the wire, so there is no excess wire for the snakes to get into. My RBI panels don't have removable wires, either. The plugs at the end can be taken apart, but you can't get the wire out of the panel itself. Is that a new design or something?
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

Thanks

I’m honestly at a loss at how he got it unplugged- it came installed in the enclosure, and there didn’t appear to be enough slack for this to happen. I plugged it back in and took up the slack at the supports. It’s a VE panel, and the cord can be unplugged from the panel itself, inside the enclosure.

One way or another, I’m replacing this one with a hard wired panel ASAP.

BRB 0.2, Motley Bci 1.0,

Thanks

I don’t hold Leviathan, he holds me!

Things are going well- consistent feeding (1 weaned rat/week), gentle interactions, and his weird short tongue flick is gone- he flicks it normally now for the most part. He’s easily 4’ at this point.

He sometimes gets in his strike pose in his enclosure and makes aggressive movements up towards his RHP, it’s odd but rare.

I’m really coming to love this guy more every day!!

BRB 0.2, Motley Bci 1.0,

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JTC For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-23-2019)

Thanks

I’m honestly at a loss at how he got it unplugged- it came installed in the enclosure, and there didn’t appear to be enough slack for this to happen. I plugged it back in and took up the slack at the supports. It’s a VE panel, and the cord can be unplugged from the panel itself, inside the enclosure.

One way or another, I’m replacing this one with a hard wired panel ASAP.

Hmm. That is indeed strange! Could he have somehow pulled the wire out of the panel? (As in: the wire isn't supposed to be removed at the panel, but with enough force he could have pulled it out?)

He's growing very well, and continues to be gorgeous. ^.^
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 04-30-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

JTC (04-30-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast