Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,837

1 members and 1,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Under Scale Discoloration.

Well Ive seen 2 threads in the past on what looked like the same thing I have here, however they were from people that come to ask and go never reporting what they may have found out or if their snake healed etc...
    i Pm’ed a couple of you about 4 months ago about this and we figured ILl keep a eye on it.
    Sophie did not eat or shed for about 7/8 months last year... she went back on this Past fall and also shed in December. She is healthy and active otherwise.
    The Red Mark under the scale i thought was from the lack of shedding last year, maybe dried out, dirt, inflamed.. however it hasn’t healed. It isnt a Bruise and it isnt a injury. Without any other health concerns or behavior I haven’t made a Vet Appointment. If these start to appear in other places Im going to have to. As of now she has 3 spots and they are the original 3 spots so it hasn’t spread. When I rub them the blood color/redness goes away for a few seconds. That tells me its more like a blood blister or something. Why this would be or what causes it I’m at a loss. Ive seen 2 other posts/Pics from “Fly Byes” on here with what appeared to be the same and they never updated. .....any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I'm only guessing but it reminds me of what are called petechial hemorrhages in humans, which have many different causes, one of which is a vitamin C
    deficiency. We've mused about Vitamin C's role in healing a snake's skin, so you might try a supplement (one for reptiles!) that contains it, just to see?

My first thought was that your snake bumped into a branch, but from your description, it does appear to be a blood-flow issue...could also be genetic. It
    wouldn't hurt to ask a vet but I'd faint if they had ever dealt with this complaint before. This might even be common, but on darker snakes no one sees?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/...s/sym-20050724

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Under Scale Discoloration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm only guessing but it reminds me of what are called petechial hemorrhages in humans, which have many different causes, one of which is a vitamin C
    deficiency. We've mused about Vitamin C's role in healing a snake's skin, so you might try a supplement (one for reptiles!) that contains it, just to see?

My first thought was that your snake bumped into a branch, but from your description, it does appear to be a blood-flow issue...could also be genetic. It
    wouldn't hurt to ask a vet but I'd faint if they had ever dealt with this complaint before. This might even be common, but on darker snakes no one sees?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/...s/sym-20050724
    Reading that link your right, sounds like what im describing. Its really odd, its so clean too so I cant find anything that got under the scales etc...plus I dont use anything but craft paper Substrate and i clean like a nut.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Anyone else have any idea’s?

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Anyone else have any idea’s?

You might have to (re-) address your question only to keepers of white/light color snakes (albino/amels. etc.), no one else would see them, is my guess.

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Under Scale Discoloration.

Hi there!

I've not posted much on the forum, but I'm so glad to see this thread. I am dealing with the same issue in my Super Mojave, and had a heart attack at first.

I don't have pictures because the blotches go in and out, and they are tough to photograph with false lighting at night, but she is often pink and blotchy. She has clean coconut fiber, clean water, just had a perfect shed/poop yesterday, and is feeding. She's active and curious in a tank w/cool side at 80 and a hot spot of 92. So, nothing out of the ordinary, but she scared me into doing tons of research.

What I'm finding from research and asking around is that it's common in lighter snakes. When they press up against their tanks or fiber, they get blotchy/under scale marks from the blood flow. With no color to hide that, it shows more often, like resting on your elbow on a desk for too long. My friend has a pied with the exact same issue, and the snake is perfectly healthy with similar care stats as mine above.

Another concern is that the hide might be too small, forcing the snake to curl up tighter that normal. But you're the judge of that, I'm not sure how large your ball is. I also have a firefly calico, and he has none of these issues at all, so no spreading/doesn't seem to be an illness.

I don't think a vet visit is necessary, but I still have her on watch in case it looks out of the ordinary.

Either way, if I get too concerned and visit the vet, I will let you know! Nice looking ball, though!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammysnek For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You might have to (re-) address your question only to keepers of white/light color snakes (albino/amels. etc.), no one else would see them, is my guess.
    Nahh the thread goes threw the newsfeed on Tapatalk ( like social Networking) and most of us use it so it will be see.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sammysnek View Post
    Hi there!

I've not posted much on the forum, but I'm so glad to see this thread. I am dealing with the same issue in my Super Mojave, and had a heart attack at first.

I don't have pictures because the blotches go in and out, and they are tough to photograph with false lighting at night, but she is often pink and blotchy. She has clean coconut fiber, clean water, just had a perfect shed/poop yesterday, and is feeding. She's active and curious in a tank w/cool side at 80 and a hot spot of 92. So, nothing out of the ordinary, but she scared me into doing tons of research.

What I'm finding from research and asking around is that it's common in lighter snakes. When they press up against their tanks or fiber, they get blotchy/under scale marks from the blood flow. With no color to hide that, it shows more often, like resting on your elbow on a desk for too long. My friend has a pied with the exact same issue, and the snake is perfectly healthy with similar care stats as mine above.

Another concern is that the hide might be too small, forcing the snake to curl up tighter that normal. But you're the judge of that, I'm not sure how large your ball is. I also have a firefly calico, and he has none of these issues at all, so no spreading/doesn't seem to be an illness.

I don't think a vet visit is necessary, but I still have her on watch in case it looks out of the ordinary.

Either way, if I get too concerned and visit the vet, I will let you know! Nice looking ball, though!
    Everything youve said I had thought about when it started and there could be something to it. When she didnt eat for 8 months she seldom came out of her hide and when she did her scales were really creased. My humidity is always good but that doesn’t mean that being constricted in her hide couldn’t cause something. She has the Large RBI hides and will soon be in the XL as she drags the hides around going in and out but loves the tighter fit. She is just about 2100 grams at 4’.
    The strange thing is that the marks are in random area’s... and one is on top where they dont wrinkle when coiled up or touch on anything...very strange but your theory is the closest thing to anything i can think of so far. This will haunt me haha and if my Reptile vet wasn’t hours away id drop in for a checkUp just to stop my mind from back flipping lol.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    ...The strange thing is that the marks are in random area’s... and one is on top where they dont wrinkle when coiled up or touch on anything...
    Marks like those you showed above don't appear to me to be anything like what I'd expect to see when a snake scrunches into a hide, etc. Color me unconvinced.

Thanks

It is disturbing to see. My Super Mojave is my very first lighter pigment ball, I've had a darker BPs only. Her scales crease as well when she's curled for a long time, and the blotches move around depending on how she's curled in her hide. They seem to replicate exactly where her body was touching the hides. I'm actually experimenting with slightly bigger hides this week to see how she does.

It sounds like your ball is doing great, but I'm no vet! Maybe make a call to be safe? Either way, happy herping!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammysnek For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-19-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast