Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,870

3 members and 2,867 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Tank cleaning with F10SC

Hi there!
    So up till now I致e been doing the deep cleaning of the tank and everything in it using soap and then healthy habitat spray with rinsing and air drying afterward. I have seen F10 mentioned a lot as the best way to clean so I bought a bottle. After reading the directions on the bottle I知 kinda scared to use it now. If any of you have, what exactly do you do? As far as I understand I知 supposed to dilute it by putting 2 drops of F10SC into a liter of water (1:500) then spray it on everything. Do I rinse it off then or wait for it to dry and evaporate? If I do rinse it off how thoroughly should I wash? As in does it come off with water easily? Do I have to rub? What do I do? I知 afraid to screw it up and hurt my Beep.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    You do not rinse it off. You have to wait until it dries.
    Do not put your snake back in its enclosure if F10 is
    wet.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Sallysmom (02-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Good questions...& thank you for reading the labels. I have used F10, Nolvasan & generic chlorhexidine* (*what I'm currently using) to clean cages over the
    years...all work well & are safe when diluted as directed. The nice thing about them all is that you spray & wipe the cage, no rinsing needed. IMO if you have only
    one snake (& btw, I have 16 currently, all long-term pets), F10 is pricey & probably "over-kill" for your needs, but it's still a good product, since you already have it.
    Nolvasan is also pricey, only sold by the gallon (I think) & normally used by vets & farm operations. Generic chlorhexidine is pretty much the same stuff as Nolvasan
    but way cheaper....often sold in feed stores, & you can buy a smaller bottle of it instead of a gallon. (it's also an ingredient in mouthwash for humans)

I think there is a version of F10 that has soap/detergent added for extra washing power. You don't need it. If you have feces smeared in cage, wipe off first with
    a bit of dish soap/water (on a moist paper towel), then use the F10 (or other) for disinfection. No disinfectant (even bleach) disinfects that well in the presence of
    organic debris, & for best results you need to let it sit wet for the recommended amount of time. Cage should be dry before snake & furnishings are put back in.
    If you only spray on a disinfectant like F10 & let it air dry, it will likely leave spots (they'll show up more on the glass, of course).

BTW, I've also raised my own rodents for many years, & have used the same disinfectants on their cages too. F10 is the most recent on the market, fyi.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mandymg86 (02-17-2019),Sallysmom (02-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: Tank cleaning with F10SC

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Good questions...& thank you for reading the labels. I have used F10, Nolvasan & generic chlorhexidine* (*what I'm currently using) to clean cages over the
    years...all work well & are safe when diluted as directed. The nice thing about them all is that you spray & wipe the cage, no rinsing needed. IMO if you have only
    one snake (& btw, I have 16 currently, all long-term pets), F10 is pricey & probably "over-kill" for your needs, but it's still a good product, since you already have it.
    Nolvasan is also pricey, only sold by the gallon (I think) & normally used by vets & farm operations. Generic chlorhexidine is pretty much the same stuff as Nolvasan
    but way cheaper....often sold in feed stores, & you can buy a smaller bottle of it instead of a gallon. (it's also an ingredient in mouthwash for humans)

I think there is a version of F10 that has soap/detergent added for extra washing power. You don't need it. If you have feces smeared in cage, wipe off first with
    a bit of dish soap/water (on a moist paper towel), then use the F10 (or other) for disinfection. No disinfectant (even bleach) disinfects that well in the presence of
    organic debris, & for best results you need to let it sit wet for the recommended amount of time. Cage should be dry before snake & furnishings are put back in.
    If you only spray on a disinfectant like F10 & let it air dry, it will likely leave spots (they'll show up more on the glass, of course).

BTW, I've also raised my own rodents for many years, & have used the same disinfectants on their cages too. F10 is the most recent on the market, fyi.
    I'm going to have to give the Chlorhexidine a try! We actually mix up a bucket of F10 every week and that stuff is so expensive!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP - Orion (2018)
    0.1 Coral Glow BP - Pax (2018)