Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,498

2 members and 2,496 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I have no experience with them, but I've heard quite a few bad things about them. I wouldn't put it past them to be drop-shippers. I once contacted them to ask when their garters would be in stock, and they were pretty quick and polite to respond. But I would be wary. There's just something suspicious about their website and their copied-and-pasted animal facts on each item.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: underground reptiles

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    I was just trying not to make any waves with the people that had good dealings with them. They say the animals are visually healthy when shipped. So I didn't say anything to them either time cuz I know they are going to just find any reason to blame me. So I just take the $400 loss and move on.
    I have watched a transaction take place where the staff was selling a ball python that was underweight: saggy skin and portruding spine. They told the customer it had been eating very well, the customer who could not tell the difference between what looks normal and what does not.

I had also watched them sell the wrong UVB lights to bearded dragon owners as well as the owners coming back, with their beardie that they purchased from them, complaining that their lizard is not eating, etc. I had to step in many times to tell them that the cheap coiled UVB bulb is junk and a real effective one will cost them about $70-90, which the store does not carry or advice their customers about. Not enough UVB: no appetite plus MBD. The customers would always look at me in shock and the staff would look irritated that I butted in. Unfortunately, many more animals are being sold to unaware, new keepers who take their word as is. It really is also the fault of the owner for not doing their own research and take heed in the old warning: buyer beware.

Side note: similar thing occurs in The Jungle, another online retailer and pet store nearby. They list blue tongue skinks with MBD (The spine was curved) at full retail price and snakes with R/I for sale. You would think they would remove them from display or lower the price.

So I take good reviews from pet stores like that with a grain of salt. There's are times when they did deliver a healthy animal as promised. My king is an example of that. Surrounded by other cages where snakes had stuck shed and less than ideal conditions, she is healthy, free of mites and no issues. It is a roll of a dice depending on who picked out your animal for shipping.

Also keep in mind, were the reviews someone new to the hobby who can't tell the difference between a healthy or sick animal? Did the animal they purchased survived long enough just to die months later (Keep in mind it can take weeks until symptoms show) that may or may not have been sick the whole time? UG is known for blaming the customer, saying that you had the animal long past the return period so therefore it is your fault. But like I said, due to their staff's lack of experience and drives to make a sale, and that it can take weeks for symptoms to show, I would not rule out of being given a sick animal at all.

Farm bred means the animal in question was bred in the country where their parents (usually wild) are from. Then it is shipped over here for sale. They are not bred responsibly in terms of selecting and matching up healthy parents who may have no genetic defect and good temperaments. This is an option when captive breeding and hatching has not been established yet or the cost of captive breeding was more than the farm breds so there is a demand for the more affordable.

Since you brought it up earlier, I had met Chun from Dynasty Reptiles at an expo. I bought my woma from him (They breed their own womas). Sweetest little dude. Healthy with no issues. He was very nice, gives me all the advice without having asked for it, and even encouraged me to contact him should I have any questions later. I would highly recommend him.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

More than likely going to stay with CV Exotics. Have thought about Dynasty Reptiles. But will do CV the most
    I’ve not purchased from CV Exotics, but have bought from Dynasty Reptiles (Chun). Great experience and wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You don't usually hear captive-bred snakes described this way & "farms" are generally outdoors: makes me wonder where the "farm" actually is & if one needs a
    passport to see it.
    There are plenty of farm bred snakes in the industry. Simplified - areas set up in their wild habitats, the local keepers catch or keep WC, let them breed in the area (fenced off, building or what have you) and sell the babies. The babies are not specifically 'wild caught' as they were not caught in the wild, they were bred in an enclosed area (aka farm, It's just the terminology used) from WC parents in their native habitat. I hope that helps?
    For the Horde!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2019)

Thanks

Yeah. There's is the only site I have ever seen animals described as farm bred. Well live and learn I guess. But I am seriously considering one from Dynasty. Even know which one too.
    0.1 Lemon Blast (CV Exotics)
    1.0 Pastel Blade Clown (E-Squared Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Normal 66% het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Spider 66% het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Enchi (Local)
    1.0 Mojave Spider (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Mojave Spider (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pewter 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Black Pastel 100% het Ghost (Peterson Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel Clown (ML Exotics)
    0.1 Spinner 100% het G-Stripe (REK Reptiles)
    1.0 Spider 66% het Clown 50% het Albino (HB Reptiles)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    There are plenty of farm bred snakes in the industry. Simplified - areas set up in their wild habitats, the local keepers catch or keep WC, let them breed in the area (fenced off, building or what have you) and sell the babies. The babies are not specifically 'wild caught' as they were not caught in the wild, they were bred in an enclosed area (aka farm, It's just the terminology used) from WC parents in their native habitat. I hope that helps?
    Yes, that's what I thought that meant...but I think many buyers aren't aware & equate "farm bred" with captive-bred. It's highly deceptive, IMO.

It's also pretty hard to verify...for all a buyer knows, they put a fence around some property & catch w/c to sell as "farm bred".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-17-2019 at 03:18 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-17-2019),Samurai (02-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Yeah. There's is the only site I have ever seen animals described as farm bred. Well live and learn I guess. But I am seriously considering one from Dynasty. Even know which one too.
    I've seen the term for fish or alligators, for example...but you don't usually see it used for snakes. It implies captive-bred, but it's a world apart, & more like wild-caught.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, that's what I thought that meant...but I think many buyers aren't aware & equate "farm bred" with captive-bred. It's highly deceptive, IMO.

It's also pretty hard to verify...for all a buyer knows, they put a fence around some property & catch w/c to sell as "farm bred".
    Exactly what I thought. I was thinking farm bred meant captive bred. Guess farm bred is underground's way of saying wild caught without just coming out and admitting it.
    0.1 Lemon Blast (CV Exotics)
    1.0 Pastel Blade Clown (E-Squared Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Normal 66% het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Spider 66% het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Enchi (Local)
    1.0 Mojave Spider (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Mojave Spider (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pewter 100% het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Black Pastel 100% het Ghost (Peterson Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel Clown (ML Exotics)
    0.1 Spinner 100% het G-Stripe (REK Reptiles)
    1.0 Spider 66% het Clown 50% het Albino (HB Reptiles)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Samurai For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12