Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

1 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Tub rack question plus reptibasics RHP question.

This is the temp in my house right now
    This is the temp on the front side of my tubs(opposite end of the heat tape)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

From my own experience, As long as you keep their hot side at the correct temp. the enclosure will cause its own gradient. The snake will be able to get to whatever temp is comfortable for it. I personally keep hot side or the backend of my tubs right about 90 degs on the substrate. I've never had an issue with feeds or sheds. The only time i have ever had issues with temps is when i screwed up and didnt wire my heat tape correctly.

This is just my own experience. My living space is usually around 72 deg. Everyone has their own way of things.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MCKINLEYW For This Useful Post:

Jcd5v (02-15-2019),Jus1More (02-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post

Nice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
    Good gods.....

I tried all size and styles of tub, oversized heat tape (12"), narrow heat tape (3"), different substrates, few holes, many holes, bottom heat, back heat, side heat, back and side, bottom and back.... all to no avail.

The cool side never gained much heat from the warm, maybe a few degrees but not enough. I always ended up with a warm side at 90 F and a cool at 73, at best 74F.

A rack system would be the greatest freaking thing! Can you please give details on your set up?
    Last edited by JRLongton; 02-15-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: readability
    \m/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCKINLEYW View Post
    From my own experience, As long as you keep their hot side at the correct temp. the enclosure will cause its own gradient. The snake will be able to get to whatever temp is comfortable for it. I personally keep hot side or the backend of my tubs right about 90 degs on the substrate. I've never had an issue with feeds or sheds. The only time i have ever had issues with temps is when i screwed up and didnt wire my heat tape correctly.

This is just my own experience. My living space is usually around 72 deg. Everyone has their own way of things.
    I think it being in a pvc rack will help as well with insulation.

BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Good gods.....

I tried all size and styles of tub, oversized heat tape (12"), narrow heat tape (3"), different substrates, few holes, many holes, bottom heat, back heat, side heat, back and side, bottom and back.... all to no avail.

The cool side never gained much heat from the warm, maybe a few degrees but not enough. I always ended up with a warm side at 90 F and a cool at 73, at best 74F.

A rack system would be the greatest freaking thing! Can you please give details on your set up?
    I wonder if your ventilation or the front of the rack happened to be in the path of an A/C vent. Or just near or along a draft in the house.

I had a rack that ran 74 in a 72 degree room, but rotated 90 degrees and moved to the side about 4 feet and the cool end is solidly at 78. Turns out the A/C vent blew right along the front in the first position.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

No A/C in my house. I won't pay for it! I have a semi finished basement that never gets above 75.
    \m/

Thanks
    I had similar concerns when deciding on what to get to house my up coming BP's. My house is typically kept at 68 in the winter and since that is the coldest it gets i used that as my base temp and came to the conclusion that a rack system would be difficult to maintain temps unless I modified or built my own that would allow me to have lids secured on the tubs to help trap heat. I decided to build two enclosures myself that will be more maintainable for my use case. My custom enclosures are 36X24X16 and I went with the 80W RHP for each I figure if its too much that means it will run at a lower power use and extend its life. Better to run at 60% then at 90%.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

Jcd5v (02-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Good gods.....

I would assume that most of the problem comes from the amount of air escaping from the top of the tubs. My tubs fit really tight up against the top of the shelves. One of my tubs has seven holes in front and seven in back. This tub has a cool side of 73-75. The others have three holes on front and back and they stay at 79. When I say they fit tight, they still slide in and out easily but there is no daylight to be seen between the top of the tub and the shelf above it. My rack is PVC and has solid sides and back.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

MCKINLEYW (02-15-2019)

Thanks

So I ended up finding an AP CB70 rack for a steal locally so I figured I’d try it. Just with the flex watt heat tap on the back temps were pretty good last night warm side was 83 and cool 77 so not too bad. I’m going to add a UTH under the warm side for the basking temp and I think it should be ok. I think the fact that it’s made of pvc and the tubs fit so snuggly helps keep the temps up.

BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast