Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,749

0 members and 1,749 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    My carpet python has fallen off of me before from about 4'. She moves so fast sometimes and forgets that I'm not a tree with a lot of branches, I think she just sees where she wants to go and goes for it! She was absolutely fine if not a little spooked from the fall. I picked her back up and handled her for a few minutes more looking for unusual movement/behavior.
    I know bp's are notorious for being easily stressed and picky eaters but I find that they're pretty hardy in general if your husbandry is correct.
    Just keep an eye on him, but such a short fall I don't think he's gonna be injured.

Good luck and keep us posted
    0.1 Bumblebee Ball Python(Rei)
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python(Mosaic)
    1.0 B.E.L Ball Python(Aspen)
    0.1 Hypo Aztec Jungle BCI(Rowan)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ClarinetPhoenix For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (02-16-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can never tell, only hope for the best and monitor the animal closely over the next few weeks

If that is any consolation I had a vet assistant once drop an hatchling on the concrete floor from about 4 feet high, the animal is fine I still have her and she is one of my biggest girl.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2019),Luvyna (02-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: Ball python fell :(

Thanks to everyone who responded for the advice and concern! I have some good news to report: Noodle was very enthusiastic about taking his F/T mouse today (he even got a great wrap around it) so I guess he isn't feeling too bad about what happened yesterday. He is now acting fine and no longer spooked when I lift his hide. I took him out earlier in the day and very carefully looked him over, he is moving normally, and I didn't see any swelling or bones sticking out anywhere. I'll continue to observe him and leave him alone for a full week in case he's still sore from falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Since he's so pale in color, when you check on him (& I know you will ) are you seeing any bruises showing up, any discoloration from the fall? I've had albino
    snakes before but never one that fell...I'm assuming that snakes can bruise like we do, but mostly we'd never see them because their coloring covers it up...?
    He might be a little sore from the tumble, but hopefully nothing more.
    I tried to get a look at his belly (not easy since he kept moving) and I think there might be a slight purplish/pinkish tinge to it but I'm not sure if that's normal or not since I admittedly haven't looked closely at his belly before and I couldn't find any photos of bruised snakes for reference. I'd assume visible bruising is a pretty bad sign though since it could suggest internal bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarinetPhoenix View Post
    My carpet python has fallen off of me before from about 4'. She moves so fast sometimes and forgets that I'm not a tree with a lot of branches, I think she just sees where she wants to go and goes for it! She was absolutely fine if not a little spooked from the fall. I picked her back up and handled her for a few minutes more looking for unusual movement/behavior.
    I know bp's are notorious for being easily stressed and picky eaters but I find that they're pretty hardy in general if your husbandry is correct.
    Just keep an eye on him, but such a short fall I don't think he's gonna be injured.

Good luck and keep us posted
    Wow, glad she was okay after taking that tumble! I guess snakes are tougher than I give them credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You can never tell, only hope for the best and monitor the animal closely over the next few weeks

If that is any consolation I had a vet assistant once drop an hatchling on the concrete floor from about 4 feet high, the animal is fine I still have her and she is one of my biggest girl.
    Man that's scary! Four feet is pretty high for a hatchling but I'm glad she's okay and it sounds like she is thriving now. It's pretty amazing what even baby BPs can handle!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Ball python fell :(

Good news ... I’m sure snakes are falling out of trees all the time in the wild ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12