Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,790

0 members and 2,790 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python fell :(

My ball python was crawling up my sleeve so I sat up to try to figure out how to get him out and then he slid through my shirt and fell from the bed (about 2-3 feet) onto wooden floor I feel so bad that this happened, he is only a 5 month old baby and I am worried that it hurt his head, spine, or ribs.

He landed on his belly and when I picked up up afterward he seemed kind of freaked out, started moving around faster than he normally does. He seems to be able to move okay so I am hoping nothing is broken. I put him back in his enclosure and went into one of his hides. When I lifted his hide to check on him he got spooked and flinched away.

I really hope he is okay, what should I look out for in case something is wrong and should I do anything differently in the mean time? What are signs that a BP is in pain? His feeding day is tomorrow, should I still go ahead with that?

Thanks

Re: Ball python fell :(

Snakes are pretty tough and it’s not uncommon for them to break ribs in the wild. I think for a short fall like that he should be ok. If a rib was badly broken you’d notice it sticking out or a kink in him. Definitely keep an eye on him and look him over for injuries. If he’s moving around and behaving normally I don’t see why you shouldn’t offer food. Hopefully the little guy is alright!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

L.West (02-15-2019),Luvyna (02-15-2019)

Thanks

Ouch broken ribs sound very painful If he'd broken any ribs would a vet be able to do anything for that?

I checked him over after he fell, nothing seemed off about his spine and I couldn't feel his ribs but I will keep monitoring for the next few days.

Thanks

I’m not really sure if a vet could do much. I think they heal on their own unless it’s really bad. Sounds like he just got shook up but should be fine. Tomorrow I would carefully bring him out in good light and feel for anything out of place. If all looks good let him rest for a few days just in case.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (02-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Most of the time such a fall (2-3') won't injure your snake, mostly just startle-scare him. IF he has broken ribs, you wouldn't want to be pushing on him, as that
    could push a broken rib into vital organs; I had for many years a w/c rescued rosy boa whose old healed broken ribs posed no problem for him & could only be
    seen when he curved his body a certain way (they created a concave area). Offering him food "on schedule" may be a good way to check & see how he's really
    feeling. Ribs aren't the only thing that can be injured when a snake falls...they can have internal bleeding, for example. It's very hard to tell if-when a snake is
    in pain, or has other medical issues, so do pay attention. Try not to feel "too" guilty though, they fall in the wild too. See how he acts tomorrow, see if he wants
    to eat etc. (& no, I don't think a vet can do much about broken ribs- unless they were way out of position, they just have to heal as they are, but again, let him
    rest without handling him IF you suspect he has any injury...& get him checked by a vet IF he's not looking or acting normal tomorrow)

You mentioned that he landed on his belly...that's good. He could have landed on his head...I'm sure snakes can get a concussion or break their necks too, but with him landing on his belly, it likely just knocked the wind out of him & spooked him real good. Hopefully no lasting problem, think positive.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-15-2019 at 01:12 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-15-2019),Luvyna (02-15-2019)

Thanks

The vet could tell you they’re broken but past that there’s not much that can be done. There’s also a lack of good reptile vets and even if you find one that sees exotics they may not be well versed in reptile care/ treatment. I’ve worked at exotic vets and have never seen a snake be treated for anything other than a URI. If it had internal bleeding or anything you would need a very reptile savvy vet.

BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jcd5v For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2019),Luvyna (02-15-2019)

Thanks

Thank you all for the responses, I really appreciate it!

Internal bleeding sounds scary and potentially fatal, really hope that isn't happening with my Noodle. I will check him over again and see how he is acting tomorrow, then try feeding him as usual in the evening. Other than that I won't handle him for a week. If things seem off he will be going to the vet.

Thanks for the info on exotic vets too, make sense that good ones are hard to find since snakes aren't the most common pets. I've researched a few in my area and settled on one I will go to if needed, unfortunately no specialty reptile vets around here but there is one that specifically has experience with ball pythons.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2019)

Thanks
    Crossing my fingers for you & your snake...he is MOST likely going to be fine...just as most of us didn't end up in the hospital when we (as kids) crashed
    our bikes. Letting him mostly rest for a while, plus seeing how he is tomorrow, & whether or not he wants to eat, should tell you more. Thinking positive...

Thanks
    Thanks for the good wishes, I hope he will be okay too! Poor Noodle, must have been a pretty scary experience for him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Thanks for the good wishes, I hope he will be okay too! Poor Noodle, must have been a pretty scary experience for him.
    Since he's so pale in color, when you check on him (& I know you will ) are you seeing any bruises showing up, any discoloration from the fall? I've had albino
    snakes before but never one that fell...I'm assuming that snakes can bruise like we do, but mostly we'd never see them because their coloring covers it up...?
    He might be a little sore from the tumble, but hopefully nothing more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast