Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

0 members and 3,352 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Re: Apollo is not being a good boy and he looks pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcd5v View Post
    ...I just watched a video that said you should grab them as quick as possible...
    Here's the thing: if you like getting bit, you should follow that advice, because when you keep acting like a predator to a snake, it will never learn to trust you & relax.
    Me, I enjoy handling snakes that know they have nothing to fear from me, & it's up to US to convey that thru the way we handle them.

Can you imagine being a snake...nearsighted, deaf, & then here comes this giant creature that grabs you! -like a predator would! Does that seem friendly to you?

I've talked to snake keepers who persist in doing things like that...they insist that snakes can never be trusted not to bite. Wonder why... If you want to be trusted,
    you have to be trustworthy. It's a "two way street".

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019),Jcd5v (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Apollo is not being a good boy and he looks pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Here's the thing: if you like getting bit, you should follow that advice, because when you keep acting like a predator to a snake, it will never learn to trust you & relax.
    Me, I enjoy handling snakes that know they have nothing to fear from me, & it's up to US to convey that thru the way we handle them.

Can you imagine being a snake...nearsighted, deaf, & then here comes this giant creature that grabs you! -like a predator would! Does that seem friendly to you?

I've talked to snake keepers who persist in doing things like that...they insist that snakes can never be trusted not to bite. Wonder why... If you want to be trusted,
    you have to be trustworthy. It's a "two way street".
    Makes sense. I am actually fear free certified with dogs and cats and have seen how that approach can really make a difference in their vet visits so I think your approach is the one I’m going to take. Let him get used to his home and let him know he’s going to get everything he needs.

Do you recommend messing around in his cage pretty frequently? Just like changing water more often than normal (not like moving stuff around) just so that he’s getting used to my hands being in the cage and my scent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jcd5v; 02-12-2019 at 11:35 PM.
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

Thanks

... I’d rather get bit by a snake than a cat. I’ll probably feel better about it after I do get bit to be honest...
    Snake bites aren't a big deal (other than giant snakes or venomous, of course). If you want to know what snake teeth feel like, poke your finger with a safety pin, &
    then multiply that by 20 or so. A bite will bleed a little but it's rare for a harmless snake bite to even get infected. Of all the pets you can get bit by, snakes are the
    best: dogs do a lot more damage, as do cats (and carry LOTS of germs!)...even a cute little parakeet can take a chunk of skin. Snake bites generally heal quickly
    because very little damage is done...just a series of little pin-sticks...you'll probably be disappointed, lol. Try not to jerk your hand away though...when you do that,
    you can break off the snake teeth under your skin...they can be very hard to see & remove, not to mention it's hard on your snake's mouth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jcd5v (02-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I've gotten bit twice by juvenile BPs. One drew virtually no blood (~200g BP), just 3 tiny drops, and was more an adrenaline rush than painful. The other didn't even manage to break any skin. A bite kind of feels like someone giving you a strong prod with a small piece of the sharp side on velcro. Way less painful than a cat scratch or even scratches I get from my dog when he is too enthusiastic about his "shake hands" trick and gets my forearm. I doubt it would be much different at 400g since I've raised one up to 1,000g and the head size change between 200 to 400g was not that much. Maybe a few more tooth-marks, but not likely any deeper or more painful.

The other was a 80g BP who bit me clean on the lip! Absolutely no blood drawn or marks at all, and even less painful.

Both were my mistake. The first I had set a newer snake on top of the table nearby while I wiped down his tub for cleaning, when I reached for him (halfway between the front and side/below), he grabbed my thumb; he's a very shy guy as I've learned, so I accommodate him a bit differently now for his comfort.

The 2nd was one who failed to shed her tail and I was inspecting it to decide on if a damp cloth would get it or to leave it for the next shed, but due to forgetting my glasses, I was closer than I should've been, somewhat looming over her in my lap, and paying attention to the wrong end. Didn't even see it coming and didn't even feel remotely painful... more of a shock that I realized after she had bit my lip.

Here's what a ~200g BP bite looks like.

Don't mind the blood toward my palm, that was just smeared there from the other spot when I was putting him back before I took the pictures.

Once I washed up, only 2 of the tiny marks were even visible at all, no scabs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-12-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019),Jcd5v (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Snake bites aren't a big deal (other than giant snakes or venomous, of course). If you want to know what snake teeth feel like, poke your finger with a safety pin, &
    then multiply that by 20 or so. A bite will bleed a little but it's rare for a harmless snake bite to even get infected. Of all the pets you can get bit by, snakes are the
    best: dogs do a lot more damage, as do cats (and carry LOTS of germs!)...even a cute little parakeet can take a chunk of skin. Snake bites generally heal quickly
    because very little damage is done...just a series of little pin-sticks...you'll probably be disappointed, lol. Try not to jerk your hand away though...when you do that,
    you can break off the snake teeth under your skin...they can be very hard to see & remove, not to mention it's hard on your snake's mouth.
    Yea the vet I work with told me she got bit in vet school and to not jerk. I’ve been bit by an amazon parrot and I will tell you that was the worst bite. She didn’t let go either. Bled everywhere and then almost passed out from all of my blood.

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jcd5v For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Makes sense. I am actually fear free certified with dogs and cats and have seen how that approach can really make a difference in their vet visits so I think your approach is the one I’m going to take. Let him get used to his home and let him know he’s going to get everything he needs.

Do you recommend messing around in his cage pretty frequently? Just like changing water more often than normal (not like moving stuff around) just so that he’s getting used to my hands being in the cage and my scent?

That reminds me...I've never had one of my snakes bite a vet, no matter what they do. When your snake learns to feel safe with you, it appears to carry over to others.
    "Fear-free certified with dogs & cats" sounds like much the same...

And no, at least not for the first couple weeks just let him settle. Right now, it's like he was abducted by aliens...when a snake is re-homed, it's very scary...in the wild
    they learn their way around in order to survive (where to hide & where to take shelter), so a new place is confusing & even threatening. What some people do is take an
    old shirt they've worn (so it has their scent) & put in in the cage for the snake to lay on & get used to. Personally I don't bother, but it couldn't hurt, it's not a bad idea.

BTW, if you reach into the cage to "tidy up", you are more apt to get bit... your snake won't connect that with "you" yet, he doesn't yet know or trust you. But it won't
    really take long...you have plenty of time once he's more relaxed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jcd5v (02-13-2019)

Thanks

That reminds me...I've never had one of my snakes bite a vet, no matter what they do. When your snake learns to feel safe with you, it appears to carry over to others.
    "Fear-free certified with dogs & cats" sounds like much the same...

And no, at least not for the first couple weeks just let him settle. Right now, it's like he was abducted by aliens...when a snake is re-homed, it's very scary...in the wild
    they learn their way around in order to survive (where to hide & where to take shelter), so a new place is confusing & even threatening. What some people do is take an
    old shirt they've worn (so it has their scent) & put in in the cage for the snake to lay on & get used to. Personally I don't bother, but it couldn't hurt, it's not a bad idea.

BTW, if you reach into the cage to "tidy up", you are more apt to get bit... your snake won't connect that with "you" yet, he doesn't yet know or trust you. But it won't
    really take long...you have plenty of time once he's more relaxed.
    Yea hopefully 20 years or so. Thanks for the help! I’m gonna take it slow from here on out.

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jcd5v For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-13-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019)

Thanks

Yea hopefully 20 years or so. Thanks for the help! I’m gonna take it slow from here on out...
    Anytime...that's why we hang around here, 'cause we love these animals & want them to be understood so they are well-cared for. A snake that's frightened & bites
    all the time will soon become a tiresome & unwanted snake that's "free to any home". I've taken in my share of those & turned them around into calm sweet pets.

BTW, don't think we don't know how hard it is to leave a new pet alone to settle in for a few weeks... but it's easier when you understand why. I think you'll be
    good at this...you seem to get it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019),Jcd5v (02-13-2019)

Thanks

Bogertophis has given you some amazing advice here. He is spot on.

I have seen so many people get snakes off of craigslist whose owners put them up for free on Craigslist because they were "bitey" or "mean", only to turn around and be docile, handleable, sweet pets. In the right care these snakes will do a complete 180 and never try to bite a person again. I suspect that much of these snakes acted out because people get them, and immediately start showing them off to their buddies, not allowing the snakes to settle in.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Treeman For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-13-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019),Jcd5v (02-13-2019)

Thanks

I definitely don’t want him to end up “free to good home.” I’ve always viewed pets as a commitment for life bc they never asked to be kept as pets. We forced them into it so if I can’t give them the best care possible then I shouldn’t have pets.

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jcd5v For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-13-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019),Treeman (02-13-2019)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast