Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,731

3 members and 2,728 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Apollo is not being a good boy and he looks pink.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    Are you following me though the forum??
    Maybe...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP - Orion (2018)
    0.1 Coral Glow BP - Pax (2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mandymg86 View Post
    ... I honestly look forward to her advice. It's been spot on anytime I've posted questions or concerns, and a lot of her answers help me become a better handler.
    Thank you, that makes my day. But just for the record, I have no desire to be the only source of information here...like most keepers, I have areas of specialty & areas
    where I defer to others. I have kept ball pythons in the past, & I've bred some kinds of snakes in the past, but I never bred ball pythons, nor do I stay up on all of the
    morphs, for example. What makes a forum like this so special is that we have many voices to chime in with their best information on various topics...many heads are
    better than one. We don't all agree on everything either, & that's where your own experience & common sense comes in, when you decide what to trust & what to try.
    There are many members here whose input I value & thank also. It's all about doing our best for the ssssss.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019),Jcd5v (02-13-2019),mandymg86 (02-13-2019),pretends2bnormal (02-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandymg86 View Post
    Maybe...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    OOOhhh.. well then... you don't have to hide in the shadows and around corners to follow me haha

Thanks

So now that I’ve added a few more snakes to the collection and have a really docile mystic ghost bp, I’ve decided I’m going to take it super slow with Apollo. I’m going to try just lifting his hide and standing by the cage for a few days. Then I will touch him for a few days. And then I will finally pick him up for short periods of time. I think by going this slow it will help introduce me as not a predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcd5v View Post
    So now that I’ve added a few more snakes to the collection and have a really docile mystic ghost bp, I’ve decided I’m going to take it super slow with Apollo. I’m going to try just lifting his hide and standing by the cage for a few days. Then I will touch him for a few days. And then I will finally pick him up for short periods of time. I think by going this slow it will help introduce me as not a predator.

Re "lifting his hide and standing by the cage..." -that may or may not get you the response you're after -many years ago when I was in a local pet store (where they
    knew me well as an experienced snake-keeper) they asked me to take a look at a rat snake they had trouble with, always biting them when they tried to take it out to
    show. Obviously this kept killing their sale. What they were doing "wrong" was taking the hide away, then trying to pick up the snake: from the snake's perspective
    a huge scary predator was coming right at him & now he had nowhere to hide! Panic! Not a "mean snake" at all: all I did was slide my hand under the hide to gently
    touch & then lift out the snake...he never bit me, & never got upset, though I'm sure he was surprised, lol. That was a yearling Everglades rat snake by the way...I ended
    up taking the little cutie home. (I'm an easy sell for rat snakes, lol.) Anyway, you are welcome to try what you described...snakes aren't all the same, but remember their
    best senses are touch & scent...the way I gently touched that snake told him I wasn't a threat. When a snake gets to know you, they'll recognize your scent & that can be
    used to reassure them (from a little distance) when you approach also.

You aren't the only one that doesn't feel comfortable risking a bite, that's why many like to use a small snake hook (or really anything similar, even the cardboard tube
    from a roll of paper towels) just to gently touch the snake without getting "within range". Just pay close attention to his reactions, that will tell you if you're on the right
    track.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jcd5v (02-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Re "lifting his hide and standing by the cage..." -that may or may not get you the response you're after -many years ago when I was in a local pet store (where they
    knew me well as an experienced snake-keeper) they asked me to take a look at a rat snake they had trouble with, always biting them when they tried to take it out to
    show. Obviously this kept killing their sale. What they were doing "wrong" was taking the hide away, then trying to pick up the snake: from the snake's perspective
    a huge scary predator was coming right at him & now he had nowhere to hide! Panic! Not a "mean snake" at all: all I did was slide my hand under the hide to gently
    touch & then lift out the snake...he never bit me, & never got upset, though I'm sure he was surprised, lol. That was a yearling Everglades rat snake by the way...I ended
    up taking the little cutie home. (I'm an easy sell for rat snakes, lol.) Anyway, you are welcome to try what you described...snakes aren't all the same, but remember their
    best senses are touch & scent...the way I gently touched that snake told him I wasn't a threat. When a snake gets to know you, they'll recognize your scent & that can be
    used to reassure them (from a little distance) when you approach also.

You aren't the only one that doesn't feel comfortable risking a bite, that's why many like to use a small snake hook (or really anything similar, even the cardboard tube
    from a roll of paper towels) just to gently touch the snake without getting "within range". Just pay close attention to his reactions, that will tell you if you're on the right
    track.
    Great advice! Thank you for your help!

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

Thanks
    Hey, by the way...is he eating OK for you now? If not, don't handle yet...make sure he's eaten a couple times, then work on hanging out together.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jcd5v (02-27-2019)

Thanks

Hey, by the way...is he eating OK for you now? If not, don't handle yet...make sure he's eaten a couple times, then work on hanging out together.
    Yes! He’s fed 3-4 times like a champ.

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jcd5v For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-27-2019)

Thanks
    Awesome! So yeah, he can handle something new now...

Thanks

Awesome! So yeah, he can handle something new now...
    I’m hoping my newest one will be just as good of an eater and I wasn’t just lucky with him.

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast