Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,020

1 members and 2,019 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Inaccurate thermostat? Defective heat panel? What’s happening? Urgent.

So I have kept snakes in the past but haven’t for the last few years now I’m back at it and decided to try and step up my game and get the more “professional” equipment, ie a radiant heat panel instead of a scretchy looking light bulb for heating. But the problem lies in that the heat panel isn’t putting out nearly enough heat. I am using a RBI heat panel 40 watt paired with their own thermostat, the basic one and the enclosure is 18” tall. But even when I crank the heat to about 120-125F the area below the basking spot is only around 78-79F. Is something wrong with the equipment? Did I screw up and just buy too weak a panel for the height of the enclosure? The snake is already in the enclosure and I don’t have any of my old equipment so I have to figure something out fast. Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Thanks
    40 watt is smaller than I've used but it should still heat 18" down I would think. Have you tried plugging it in without the thermostat just to find out if the thermostat isn't working correctly? That's where I would start because it's easy. Also... you're sure you have the correct side of the heat panel facing down?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I wish I could help you but I don't use RHPs so I'll let others advise you on that...it shouldn't be too long before another chimes in.

But, it's always recommended to test out your enclosure (w/ all equipment) for at least a week before you put a snake in there. Oops! Now you know why.
    In a pinch, you can even use jars of hot tap water to warm an enclosure...I've done that when power was out for days (ice storm) & in an insulated container
    (in my case, ice chests & snakes bagged within), the water only needed changed about every 8-9 hours. Portable (chemical) heat packets can also be used, but
    make sure you wrap them so the snake isn't burned by excessive output. If this was a glass tank, a large (human use) electric heating pad can be used as UTH
    on a temporary basis (be careful not to let them overheat!)...most drug stores sell them, as does Walmart. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    How big is your full enclosure? Usually an 80w is recommended for a 3-4 foot cage at 18" tall.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: Inaccurate thermostat? Defective heat panel? What’s happening? Urgent.

Well I just tried unplugging the thermostat and just letting the heater run wide open and we’re sitting at 79F, so I guess that settles that. Looks like I’ll run a space heater with the heat panel and upgrade the heat panel as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    How big is your full enclosure? Usually an 80w is recommended for a 3-4 foot cage at 18" tall.
    It’s 4’Lx18”Wx18”H, I think this is my problem.

Thanks
    Sounds like the panel isn't working, hope you have the receipt.

If you want to return it and buy another brand I would recommend a Pro Products panel. It seems to be what most people recommend and I've been using for a while.

I'm curious why yours isn't working though.

Thanks

From what I’ve found a 40 watt RHP is not going to reach to the bottom of a tank that size. Mine is mounted at the top of my tank, the temp probe is mounted about 8 inches below it at the first place my snake can lay. The temp there never gets over 83 degrees. The bottom of the tank below the probe never gets over 80. I have an UTH directly below the RHP to make up for the difference. The RHP is basically used for ambient temps and gives a good gradient across the tank.

Bottom line is you’re gonna have to supplement the RHP with a UTH below it. That’s what I had to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I use an 80w RHP from RBI in a 2'x3'x12" enclosure and it works great. I also use the UTH from RBI for belly heat.

I suspect that your 40w RHP is a little weak for an enclosure your size. I did a quick calculation and the volume of your enclosure is 50% greater than mine with half the wattage.

On the plus side, if you add another 40w RHP and mount them on the far left and far right of the enclosure, you should have precise control of the heat gradient in your enclosure.
    Last edited by larryd23; 02-12-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Short term you can put a piece of décor your snake can climb or perch on underneath of the RHP to get it closer to the heat. Just make sure the top of your snake's back would be far enough from the RHP that it can't get burned, figure 6-8 inches.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (02-13-2019)