Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,946

2 members and 2,944 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    i took a square plastic dog bowl and cut a hole out in the bottom and use it for a hiding box. my question is i am getting mixed signals about weather or not to use a hiding box for my baby burmese. i see both sides. i have kept snakes off and on since the 70's and even had larger burmese pythons which were all tame but i never had any babies to have to deal with. in the past years i never used hiding boxes but read an article by an animal vet that said to do so. my bigger boa never would go in hers but sit on the top and sun herself lol but my bigger yellow anaconda goes back and forth from her soaking in her large water bow to being in her hiding box to now laying on top of her square hiding box and keeping warm. i'm asking this because i've never had to deal with a baby and i want to start out right with him. he was tame to hold at first at the repticon show where i bought him and only bit me on the hand after being in the hiding box for two weeks after i got him and when he came out i carefully lifted him out with my snake hook. i let him slide through my hands and he was ok till i guess i made a different move with my hand and he latched on my side.

Thanks

Re: My hiding baby burmese

Quote Originally Posted by WILDBILL245 View Post
    i took a square plastic dog bowl and cut a hole out in the bottom and use it for a hiding box. my question is i am getting mixed signals about weather or not to use a hiding box for my baby burmese. i see both sides. i have kept snakes off and on since the 70's and even had larger burmese pythons which were all tame but i never had any babies to have to deal with. in the past years i never used hiding boxes but read an article by an animal vet that said to do so. my bigger boa never would go in hers but sit on the top and sun herself lol but my bigger yellow anaconda goes back and forth from her soaking in her large water bow to being in her hiding box to now laying on top of her square hiding box and keeping warm. i'm asking this because i've never had to deal with a baby and i want to start out right with him. he was tame to hold at first at the repticon show where i bought him and only bit me on the hand after being in the hiding box for two weeks after i got him and when he came out i carefully lifted him out with my snake hook. i let him slide through my hands and he was ok till i guess i made a different move with my hand and he latched on my side.

Thanks

i took a square plastic dog bowl that i bought at walmart and cut a hole out at the bottom and use it for a hiding box. my question is i see both sides as to weather or not to use a hiding box for my baby burmese.i have kept snakes off and on now since the 70's and even had a few larger butmese pythons one which was around 8 ft or so. all were tame and never bit me. i never had to deal with a baby before. in the past years i never used hiding boxes but i read an article written by an animal reptile vet that said to always use them. my 6 ft female boa would never go in hers but would lay on the top an sun herself lol but my bigger yellow anaconda goes back and forth from her soaking in her large water bowl to being in her hiding box to this very minute curled up on the top. since this is my first baby burmese i want to start off on the right foot. i got him at a local repticon show and held him for a few minutes and he was tame and never tried to bite. i was only bit after when i got home and after being in his hiding box for 17 days when he finally came out i gently lifted him out with my snake hook.i let him slide in and out between my hands and he was calm and ok until i guess made a sudden different move and he bit the side of my hand. i guess my question would be to the taming aspect and weather using a hiding box really matters.

Thanks

I think a hide box should always be offered ...1 on the warm end and 1 on cool end. Personally I would not let any snake stay in the hide for 17 days ( unless it's a new snake and then leave it alone for 7 days ) , after a couple days I would take it out handle a few mins put him back and if it wants to go back fine

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 02-21-2019 at 10:08 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-25-2019)

Thanks

thanks for the info. i have had him now for five weeks. except for the other night when late in evening turned off the light and later when it was dark was moving around he stays hidden deep in the coco bark bedding and won't come out. i don't know weather he is in the shed mode or still adjusting to his new home. i know i need to handle him often to get tame and use to me but i know i must wait no matter how long he stays hidden. it just seams to me after five weeks he should be out in the open and not hidden.

Thanks

To answer your question hide or no hide. That is totally up to you but you are seeing the results and will continue to do so for a very long time. I have a 7 foot male that is 21 months old and has never had a hide. I have had snakes for 40 years and the burm I have now, I've had others before him and other species of snakes. The only hides I have ever used is for 2 of the 3 ball pythons I also have now. A burm is usually hissy when young but some aren't. The biggest thing with a burm is they have to learn to trust you. In a hide or constantly buried you bet it feels more secure. Supply paper for substrate, a water bowl, and no hide and your burm will quickly adjust and you will have back the snake you held the first time you held him. And believe me, your snake will not have a nervous break down or will it have to be admitted to a mental institution. Good luck and PM any time.
    Last edited by Momokahn; 02-23-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Momokahn View Post
    To answer your question hide or no hide. That is totally up to you but you are seeing the results and will continue to do so for a very long time. I have a 7 foot male that is 21 months old and has never had a hide. I have had snakes for 40 years and the burm I have now, I've had others before him and other species of snakes. The only hides I have ever used is for 2 of the 3 ball pythons I also have now. A burm is usually hissy when young but some aren't. The biggest thing with a burm is they have to learn to trust you. In a hide or constantly buried you bet it feels more secure. Supply paper for substrate, a water bowl, and no hide and your burm will quickly adjust and you will have back the snake you held the first time you held him. And believe me, your snake will not have a nervous break down or will it have to be admitted to a mental institution. Good luck and PM any time.
    This ...

I’ve had Burms and Retics .. all very calm and none EVER had a hide ..

I had branches and bark pieces in to give nice little ‘safe’ places ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Momokahn (03-02-2019)

Thanks

well i took him out of his aquarium { took off the hiding box where he was in it ] And Held him for about 30 minutes. i first held him with my soft pig skin gloves on and he was a perfect little gentleman, never showing any aggression at all. after about twenty minutes of the handling i took off the right glove and let him get used to my hand. like i said in one of my other message i have had snakes since the 70's and a few burms and never used hide boxes. i think he will be sweet and socialable in time without the hide. like i said before my female boa wouldn't ever use hers and she is very sweet. love to hear from all you burm owners.

Thanks

My hiding baby burmese

flash: i just finished a good session holding him and while i was writing my last message a minute ago he has now burried himself back in the coco bark bedding. i did leave the hide out of the aquarium. i don't think what he is doing is good. i've had him for five weeks now. i don't take a newspaper so i can't use that instead to keep him from hiding.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    It's fine and normal for him to burrow. As he gets bigger he'll be less defensive.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-25-2019),jmcrook (02-24-2019),Zincubus (02-25-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast