Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,765

2 members and 2,763 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pairing BEL with Banana glow..

What would The off-spring be of this combo?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'm assuming you mean either banana or coral glow to a BEL complex animal.

Depending on the BEL it would be one of the two BEL genes either by itself or crossed with banana/coral glow.

So a Mojave/Lesser BEL crossed to a Banana would yield a 25% chance of each combo below:

Lesser

Mojave

Banana Lesser

Banana Mojave

But that would change depending on what two genes made the BEL. I say that because these genes:

Bamboo,
    Butter/Lesser (platinum),
    Mojave,
    Russo,
    Phantom,
    Mystic,
    Mocha,
    and Special

will all make a BEL when combined in almost* any combination.

Some look better than others, (Mojave/Lesser), and some have pattern and are not quite BEL's such as Mystic Potion or Crystal.

But there is a lot that could happen depending on the BEL variety.

Does that answer your question? Or was I too confusing? Cause I know it's a lot to take in.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-12-2019),dr del (02-12-2019),paulh (02-13-2019)

Thanks

Re: Pairing BEL with Banana glow..

No it was very helpful.
    Having no idea what the HET is for each parent I guess there's really no way of knowing what The offspring could look like
    Could be like a box of chocolates huh
    Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    I'm assuming you mean either banana or coral glow to a BEL complex animal.

Depending on the BEL it would be one of the two BEL genes either by itself or crossed with banana/coral glow.

So a Mojave/Lesser BEL crossed to a Banana would yield a 25% chance of each combo below:

Lesser

Mojave

Banana Lesser

Banana Mojave

But that would change depending on what two genes made the BEL. I say that because these genes:

Bamboo,
    Butter/Lesser (platinum),
    Mojave,
    Russo,
    Phantom,
    Mystic,
    Mocha,
    and Special

will all make a BEL when combined in almost* any combination.

Some look better than others, (Mojave/Lesser), and some have pattern and are not quite BEL's such as Mystic Potion or Crystal.

But there is a lot that could happen depending on the BEL variety.

Does that answer your question? Or was I too confusing? Cause I know it's a lot to take in.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    Having no idea what the HET is for each parent
    None of the genes you are asking about are recessive so there is no het in question, they either are or they are not

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-12-2019),Jellybeans (02-12-2019),pretends2bnormal (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    None of the genes you are asking about are recessive so there is no het in question, they either are or they are not
    I think what jellybeans is referring to is the individual co-doms that make up the BEL complex animal, on a technicality co-doms are technically "hets" for the super form, in that they are a single copy of a gene. And since BEL complex animals are an allelic combo, they do require 2 "hets" to create the homozygous BEL super form.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Jellybeans (02-13-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    I think what jellybeans is referring to is the individual co-doms that make up the BEL complex animal, on a technicality co-doms are technically "hets" for the super form, in that they are a single copy of a gene. And since BEL complex animals are an allelic combo, they do require 2 "hets" to create the homozygous BEL super form.
    Jellybeans is 100% correct.

The technicality is whether one uses standard genetics definitions or the corrupt herper definitions.

In standard genetics, a homozygous animal has a homozygous gene pair--a gene pair made up of two copies of the same gene, and a heterozygous ("het") animal has a heterozygous gene pair--a gene pair made up of two different genes. For example, a normal gene and an albino gene, a pinstripe gene and a normal gene and a lesser gene and a mojave gene are heterozygous gene pairs.

In the herper genetics definition a heterozygous gene pair is also made up of two different genes, but they are a normal gene and a recessive mutant gene. By this definition only the normal gene and the albino gene make a heterozygous gene pair.

For what it's worth, the standard genetics definitions are easier to use than the herper definitions.

The simplest het lesser ball python has a lesser gene paired with the corresponding normal gene. Crossing two of these het lessers is one way to produce a homozygous (AKA super) lesser ball python. There are other ways, such as crossing two homozygous lessers. And crossing a homozygous lesser to a homozygous mojave is one way to produce a BEL that is heterozygous because the gene pair is made up of a lesser gene and a mojave gene.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post

The technicality is whether one uses standard genetics definitions or the corrupt herper definitions.

In standard genetics, a homozygous animal has a homozygous gene pair--a gene pair made up of two copies of the same gene, and a heterozygous ("het") animal has a heterozygous gene pair--a gene pair made up of two different genes. For example, a normal gene and an albino gene, a pinstripe gene and a normal gene and a lesser gene and a mojave gene are heterozygous gene pairs.

In the herper genetics definition a heterozygous gene pair is also made up of two different genes, but they are a normal gene and a recessive mutant gene. By this definition only the normal gene and the albino gene make a heterozygous gene pair.

For what it's worth, the standard genetics definitions are easier to use than the herper definitions.

The simplest het lesser ball python has a lesser gene paired with the corresponding normal gene. Crossing two of these het lessers is one way to produce a homozygous (AKA super) lesser ball python. There are other ways, such as crossing two homozygous lessers. And crossing a homozygous lesser to a homozygous mojave is one way to produce a BEL that is heterozygous because the gene pair is made up of a lesser gene and a mojave gene.
    I think I need to take a class on this. Lol

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post

Yes correct on the scientific and technical side.
    Problem is that I am tired of seeing idiots selling normals claiming they are HET dom/co-dom gene. Seems to be a growing problem.

Thanks

Yes. I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Yes correct on the scientific and technical side.
    Problem is that I am tired of seeing idiots selling normals claiming they are HET dom/co-dom gene. Seems to be a growing problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast