Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 405

11 members and 394 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 64,315
Threads: 238,637
Posts: 2,478,993
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Sara Blouin
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User Jcd5v's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2019
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 78 Times in 36 Posts

    Is it common for a BP to get stuck when a prey item is in their stomach?

    So I just fed Apollo for the first time and he took it! He looked really confused that it was already dead (he was fed live), but he didnít mind in the end. He hides in a pretty small hide I made with some rocks. Could he potentially get stuck bc of the prey item? Has anyone seen this happen? Iím hoping my prey item was appropriately sized. I fed the size the breeder said, but one of the rats in the package was double the other so they must not be very consistent. I am going to take him out to weigh him and then feed off of that but I wanted to make sure I got him to eat before handling. Also, he is in his cool hide. What is the optimal temperature for digestion? Can he fully digest on the cool side?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jcd5v; 02-10-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

  2. #2
    Registered User Luvyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2019
    Posts
    252
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 169 Times in 110 Posts

    Re: Is it common for a BP to get stuck when a prey item is in their stomach?

    Congrats on him taking the food!

    I'm not sure if the prey item would cause him to get stuck but I definitely have seen BPs get stuck in hides or cage furniture that is too small, here is any example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9NClh7sz00

    They will try to cram themselves into any small spaces so it's best to avoid keeping them with anything they can get stuck in.

    Appropriately sized prey is around the width of the widest part of the snake's body, and 10-15% of its weight.

    The hot spot temps should be 88-90F, cool side should be around 78-80F. As long as you have the temps right and identical, secure hides, BPs know what they need to digest and will switch back and forth as needed. Mine tends to spend the first day after eating in his cool hide, then switch to the warm for the second day.

  3. #3
    BPnet Veteran Sunnieskys's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-13-2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,417
    Thanks
    890
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Images: 2
    Weigh your prey too. That way you know which to feed first.

    congrats on the first FT prey.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

    0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

    *~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

  4. #4
    Registered User Jcd5v's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2019
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 78 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Is it common for a BP to get stuck when a prey item is in their stomach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Congrats on him taking the food!

    I'm not sure if the prey item would cause him to get stuck but I definitely have seen BPs get stuck in hides or cage furniture that is too small, here is any example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9NClh7sz00

    They will try to cram themselves into any small spaces so it's best to avoid keeping them with anything they can get stuck in.

    Appropriately sized prey is around the width of the widest part of the snake's body, and 10-15% of its weight.

    The hot spot temps should be 88-90F, cool side should be around 78-80F. As long as you have the temps right and identical, secure hides, BPs know what they need to digest and will switch back and forth as needed. Mine tends to spend the first day after eating in his cool hide, then switch to the warm for the second day.
    Yea I know what the temps should be I just didnít know if they can digest on the cool side. He hasnít gone into his hot side hide the whole time Iíve had him so I may need to change it out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

  5. #5
    Registered User Jcd5v's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2019
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 78 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Is it common for a BP to get stuck when a prey item is in their stomach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Weigh your prey too. That way you know which to feed first.

    congrats on the first FT prey.
    For future feedings I will be weighing both him and the rat. This feeding I just figured him eating was more important than being exact.

    The rat was appropriately sized. I just freaked out a little bit because he head is so much smaller than the largest part of his body (I also havenít seen him a lot so I wasnít 100% sure if the rat was too big or not).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

  6. #6
    Registered User Treeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-26-2019
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 123 Times in 78 Posts

    Re: Is it common for a BP to get stuck when a prey item is in their stomach?

    It is not common for them to get stuck after eating because with the appropriate sized meal, a ball python has only a very slightly larger girth.

    Is your hide a tubular shape like in the video? That video is the exact reason I donít like to use a hide with a tubular shape, unless its a very small snake. I much prefer something I can lift up off the snake, more like a cave than a tube.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Registered User Jcd5v's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-04-2019
    Posts
    141
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 78 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Is it common for a BP to get stuck when a prey item is in their stomach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    It is not common for them to get stuck after eating because with the appropriate sized meal, a ball python has only a very slightly larger girth.

    Is your hide a tubular shape like in the video? That video is the exact reason I donít like to use a hide with a tubular shape, unless its a very small snake. I much prefer something I can lift up off the snake, more like a cave than a tube.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No both of mine aww caves


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

  8. #8
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,118
    Thanks
    9,791
    Thanked 5,459 Times in 3,477 Posts
    The kind of thing that snakes can get "stuck" in are those cholla logs (hole in the middle) or anything made with a hole they can go thru where their middle
    can get stuck* & they cannot back out because their directional scales catch, like with bird netting & some kinds of garden fencing outside. They shouldn't be
    able to get stuck in a hide that is open on the bottom, since even if the doorway is tight, they'll just end up lifting the hide up over their body. You also want
    to avoid using most things made for tropical fish to swim into, no matter how cool they look...like castles, etc.- because they often have dangerous tight spots
    plus very sharp projections inside that don't bother swimming fish, but that would cut up a snake trying to wedge in there. Good question...

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Jcd5v (02-11-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1